Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Ha! You really know how to slather on the serendipity! :clap :clap :clap

Good luck with the trailer bakery!

:uhoh I'd better get that sign turned into a decal! :yikes
    szurszewski likes this.
  2. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention this.....
    I have been told i am VERY good with jb weld, so this task will be easy.
    I happen to know a guy who sells the stuff in bulk from a van out behind the piggly wiggly. Ironically the van was an old food truck that sold -get this- pastries.
    noshoes, rubline and szurszewski like this.
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    rubline, MrAndMrsZINC and Nixels like this.
  4. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    $1.6 million. Chump change for you guys. :lol3
    Nixels and rubline like this.
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for spotting that! I got in early enough to see the post but not soon enough to contact the OP before he pulled it :(

Sure we could swing that.

We’re taking yen, right? I mean, that’s only like fourteen thousand USD....
    Nixels, Mofrid and noshoes like this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the past year Culprit has trained me to wake up early - often very early - by slowly but deliberately knocking over chairs and other furniture until I get up and take her out. She died yesterday, and this morning I slept all the way to 0530 and then didn't have anything to do (so I made Eddy get up and go outside with me; he was reluctant but accommodating).

Many of you welcomed her into your homes, and I'm up early anyway, so I wanted to post this here. She had her 17th birthday a week or so ago and was stubborn to the end. She and I spent her last day in the garage, her enjoying the sun and me keeping my mind distracted by fiddling with a friend's sidecar rig (thanks Drone).

IMG_7097.jpg

Laura got her for me on the way to our wedding as my wedding present. Culprit was very determined, a pain in the ass often, but also a fantastic companion and a fierce protector on the rare occasion it was called for. She traveled with us by motorcycle, bicycle, foot, skis, sled, ship, boat, planes large and small, and - her favorite - snow machine for nearly 16 years. Culprit visited all the United States except Hawaii (and possibly Nebraska - not sure about that one), almost all of the Canadian provinces (she was very close to but not quite in either Labrador or Nunavut) and eight states in Mexico. She managed to jump out a partially open side window of our truck on the first day of our honeymoon - on I-10 in Houston - probably barking at a dog she saw way off in the distance, and continued to lead us, headlong and full speed, on interesting adventures the next 16 years absolutely never considering, or at least not giving credence to, any possible negative outcome. Dogs are great teachers.

Most of my pics of her early days are on a hard drive in our storage unit still, but here are a few I could find this morning -

[​IMG]
    from a "comic" of our wedding - that's her, top center, the day after the freeway incident

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.29.21 AM.png
    way way up in the NWT when she was about two years old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg

B10Dave, thewbee, Nixels and 3 others like this.
  7. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    D.E.P. Culprit. Condolences to you and the fam. 17 years is a good run for a pup.
    Ozarks Rider, Nixels and szurszewski like this.
  8. Ozarks Rider

Ozarks Rider I'd never join club that would have me as a member Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have found it more difficult to deal with the loss of some of the animals in my life than those of some of the people and relatives I have known. The intensity of the emptiness, albeit temporary at its height, is impossible to translate to some who have not known it. But to not know the joys of these animals is far worse than dealing with the loss. Condolences.
  9. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s amazing how much we can love those little rascals! Take your time to grieve and then start looking for your next buddy.

Sorry for your loss.
    Ozarks Rider, noshoes and szurszewski like this.
  10. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sorry for your loss. Hopefully, the fond memories will help ease the pain.
    Ozarks Rider, szurszewski and noshoes like this.
  11. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your memories, being a good steward for a pet is tough duty sometimes...
  12. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    Josh so sorry to hear about Culprit. Deepest sympathy to the 3 of you. And I hope your hand is healing well.
    Ozarks Rider and szurszewski like this.
  13. pointerDixie214

pointerDixie214 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So sorry for your loss. Thank you for giving her such a great life. :)

Time to go hug my knuckleheads.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support everybody - it's much appreciated. Her favorite thing was running (she would literally run until her feet bled, and then run some more, if left to her own devices) and she hadn't been able to do that almost at all the last six month, and not more than a few yards at time for at nearly the last two years; it was definitely time, and probably well beyond time.

As for my thumb, @rubline , it's doing better - thanks for asking. I can sort of grip a thottle, but I can't really wrap my thumb around it yet...and squeezing enough to turn it still hurts a good bit - but not as much as it did a week ago. Hoping to be able to ride again soon. For those that haven't seen it, and aren't too squeamish, here you go:

leaving them as thumbnails partially in case you
    are squeamish, but also because -thumbnail!- it's funny

a month ago tomorrow:
    IMG_6956.jpg
    two night ago:
    IMG_7095.jpg
    rubline, Ozarks Rider and Nixels like this.
  15. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :( Bye Culprit. :waysad
  16. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I definitely feel for you.....having lost too many companions in my time. The grieving never really ends but it does get easier.....especially when a new bundle of fur with boundless energy makes his or her first appearance.

Wish they lived longer but 17 years is a hell of a run. Be sure Culprit had a great life compared to so many others. Best of wishes.....

Jack and Buck
    Ozarks Rider and Mofrid like this.