Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:

wth happened to your thumb??! i missed this somehow...
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to prove the relative safety of long distance motorcycle travel, I took a 3000 mile trip on two bikes I’d never touched before said trip (1500 per bike ;) ) with zero injuries of any kind, and then, within 24 hours of completion I “traumatically amputated” (as per the ER paperwork) the end of my thumb...closing a door.
    bobw likes this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'm allowed to post CL links here, and I've nothing to do with the sale, but I just saw on CL that the Bakery Quest rig is up for sale. We sold it to a nice couple a couple/few years ago - they were getting out of moto touring because of health issues and wanted try sidecars to see if that worked. From the ad copy, I guess not :(

Anyway, if you want to own a piece of history, a quick search of Portland's cl listing for hanningan sidecar will point you in the right direction.

PS: Those guys here on the hacks subforum saw the ad last week, but NO ONE TOLD ME!!! ...lazy old retired guys...sheesh ;)
  4. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    You should buy it and go on a COVID run! :deal

:hide
    DRONE and waybill like this.
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing the listing earlier did remind me of your text from a couple of days ago...
    Nixels likes this.
  6. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your thumb.

Here is mine. 5 weeks since the hand surgeon put it back together. Table saw.

Attached Files:

Foiler likes this.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - it was about 18 months ago and is mostly back to normal now. Well, it’s shorter, the nail is a bit odd, and there is some nerve damage at the tip and in a few other parts of my hand...but it could be worse!

I saw your pic the other day on that other forum - looks unfun! Thursday Jeremiah and I spent many hours turning eight hundred pounds of lumber into the components of a shelving system - I was thinking about you while I was running the chop saw. ‘
    Foiler and Nixels like this.
  8. RTCHIEF

RTCHIEF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You looking for an 1150RT shock? Got several
  9. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a Muscovy Duck. They're well known for shitting all over the lawns and sidewalks of Florida.
  10. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    And very tasty breasts. :tb
  11. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    That's how to keep it in perspective - FOOD!!!!

:wave Neil!
    noshoes likes this.
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man - you're doing an impressive job working through all these pages! I didn't even remember that pic and had to search the thread for the word "goose' to see where that post was (goose appeared four times in the thread before this post - now it's six!).

I really need to do a little where are they now update, but I've been holding off until we get the guest suite finished, because I know there will be a flood of visitors straight away...
  13. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    What blew me away -- in addition to the full-sized replica 1903 flyer -- was the fact that their first flight was shorter than the length of a 747!

No hang gliding? Remind me some day to tell you of my Kitty Hawk Hang Gliding adventure.
    Nixels likes this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was pretty crazy walking, in not that many steps, the path that they’d first flown. The other “short” thing that was impressed upon me there was, compared to the evolution of human society, how short the timeline was between that first powered/controlled flight and humanity’s first trip to the moon. My grandfather worked in the aerospace industry and specifically on the Saturn V rocket program, so I was aware of the timeline, but as a kid (in the 80s) thinking about when he’d done that seemed like kind of a long time ago, and the era of the Wright brothers seemed like a REALLY REALLY long time ago...but to think that we’d gone from not having powered flight to being able to go land on and return from the moon in less than the span of a human life...amazing.
    Foiler, Nixels, thewbee and 3 others like this.
  15. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I share your amazement! My father learned to fly in a canvas covered bi-wing plan in the Army Air Corp around 1943 (he was 22). Toward the end of his 28 year career in the Air Force he was building rockets and served a project manager for the first manned orbital space station that later became known as SkyLab. All that in a single career!
    szurszewski, Foiler and Baroquenride like this.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our grandfathers were about the same age (mine was born in 1919). Mine was never in the military but he did fly and own a few small planes recreationally. To think that someone born just a decade and change after that flight at Kill Devil later worked on designing rockets and super sonic planes...

I don’t feel like I’ve seen *quite* that much change in the education field during my time there...not yet anyway ;)
    Nixels and sledrydr like this.
  17. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    Guest suite? Are you taking in the moto hobos now?
    Nixels likes this.
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're not ready to take in the unwashed masses just yet, though I'm hoping to carve out a little "ADV tent space" space soon, but we certainly have room for you and Heather and the kids and the kids' friends and the lizards and .... anytime you want to visit :)
    Nixels likes this.
  19. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    :roflThat made me laugh, I had to relay that to Heather. I am taking another solo trip to Alaska next year:ricky. If I make it that far West I still have your phone number.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely - the number is still the same, and you’re more than welcome any time (even if it’s just you ;) ).