Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Great to see a sidecar ride report. Been following from the beginning and it looks like a fantastic voyage so far!

A couple quick questions as I too want to do some traveling with my dog. Do you leave them in the trailer when you go into non-dog friendly places?

I had thought about a dog trailer for a while but had some concerns about exhaust fumes. Any issues in that regard?

I have plenty of space if you need a place to stay in SoCal too.
    Nixels likes this.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Yes - they hangout in the trailer when they can't be with us (unless they are in a motel room or friend's house or the like). It has a solar powered fan on the roof that moves a small amount of air whenever the sun is out, and when it's warm we park where they'll be cool. Of course if we can't find someplace cool to park we skip whatever activity. Hasn't been an issue so far. They also spend nights in the trailer when we are camping or staying somewhere they can't come inside (friends with allergies, etc.).

I should probably put a CO monitor in there to check but I don't think exhaust is a problem. The KLT has a weird muffler that looks like it vents back but actually vents down and very near the ground because of our load, so I imagine it dissipates rather quickly, and they aren't getting much more in the trailer than they would in the sidecar or in a car with open windows. (Or on a motorcycle like us!) But that's just a guess (and it's probably not great for any of us, but we try to stick to roads with little traffic and lots of fresh air - probably overall better than when we were living near an interstate junction in Portland).

We might take you up on that space offer. We haven't had a chance to go for a ride with another rig yet (or ever, actually) and we'd be happy to let you take your pup for a ride in the trailer if they were up for that.
    josh
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man - you missed us/we missed you! We were in Altus from the 11th through the 20th (or something like that). Our friends there aren't much on cooking and didn't want to let us cook, so we ate at Western Sizzlin's (a LOT), Friendship and Fred's ... several times :)

We also went up to Blair (I think that's the right place) to some bar that used to be maybe a drugstore to see another friend play. Had a pretty good time. What else is there to do there?

He does indeed seem to be a great guy, and somehow whipped up a great vegetarian dish last minute for Laura. Thanks for forcing him to invite us for lunch!
    Nixels likes this.
  4. Foiler

Foiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DANG! if I would have been watching this thread I would have loved to check out your LT sidecar rig!
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you? We're just barely out of AZ now and there's a fair chance we'll come back through going east....
  6. RedtoBlack

RedtoBlack n00b

Oddometer:
    Quartz Mtn. (20 min north) is beautiful and so is the witchitaw reserve. Great rock climbing there if you're into it but plenty of bison if not! If you come back just look up a place called Meere's. Rightin the middle of the reserve which has riding that you wouldn't expect out of western OK.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went to the witchita reserve and were planning to go to Meers as well, but they had most of the secondary roads in the reserve closed that day, as well as some of the larger ones, and we couldn't get through to Meers (without going way around the area).

I'm sure we'll be back at some point but probably not on this trip. Maybe.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left Goodyear/Phoenix about noon, and followed a less than direct route through Wickenburg and Parker (where the city commerce and information center refused to let a clearly distressed eight year old use the bathroom - perhaps if he'd explained he had an urgent need to do "business" in town...) as far as Blythe, CA.

Not a whole lot seemingly going on here in Blythe, but we did have an excellent diner dinner at a place called Steak and Cakes!

Maybe, just maybe, we will actually make it to Joshua Tree NP today. Of course it's 9:30 and we still aren't loaded and need to stop for groceries. Sigh.

Late lunch in the park adjacent to the place that is supposed to welcome people to town but will not let children poop.
    IMG_1902.JPG

Couldn't resist a shot with the palm and rig at our tiny motel. IMG_1905.JPG

My suggestion for dessert - we can't get these up north usually; Laura said it was unreasonable to each eat four (Jeremiah was fine with that idea). I did find a three pack in the back of a top shelf eventually but it was sadly melted already.
    IMG_1907.JPG
    Nixels, noshoes and Mofrid like this.
  9. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.
    I am loving it !!!
    szurszewski likes this.
  10. Drumhawk

Drumhawk Lurker

Oddometer:
    Avatar? Come on man, after a couple of BMW's I drank the Orange Kool-Aid :jkam (got me a KTM)

Peg enjoyed reading about Jeremiah's Ranger adventures and I believe is following along silently (yep, difficult for her to do too).

Me, I'm catching up on my reading.......sitting in the ER :baldy. Went for a nerve block this morning for the previous rib injuries and the rookie Dr. evidently collapsed my lung! Could be worse......could be raining (maybe tomorrow). We're hearing all kinds of interesting people out there with more serious issues than me. It might be a long night......so maybe that rain will get here after all :ksteve.

Ride safe

Russ
    Nixels likes this.
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this and loving the report. i'm an old man and i encourage my children to have their adventures while they are young. I wish i had done the same.
    bobw, hardroadking and Foiler like this.
  12. Foiler

Foiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Phoenix. Steaks and Cakes!! I have had a few breakfast meals there. I must apologize for the people in Parker, it gets very hot there and some of the people have had their brains fried. If you come back through Phx hit me up. 602-763-0325
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes sense now - it clearly says orange koolaid right there, but I'd been thinking it was red. Sigh. Tiny phone avatar and all.

I hope your lung is all fixed up - I'd be pretty pissed!

Thanks -glad you found it and are enjoying it! Our parents all think we are crazy, but they've been supportive (of this and other past unusual behavior).

Well, we have to get to the east coast somehow - so it's either Mexico or back through Arizona... and we spent two hours yesterday listening to a guy who has spent the past twenty winters in Baja telling us why it's a bad idea to go to Mexico...
    Nixels likes this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We made it to sort of San Diego! We're staying with some friends in El Cajon, up in the hills outside El Cajon really. The internet is not great, so I can't upload any pics, the cell service is spotty, but the views are fantastic. We're expecting parts and other mail Tuesday/Wedneday next week, and don't really have plans between now and then...so if you're in the area or have a great suggestion, do let us know!

We went down to Coronado and then Old Town San Diego today; we're considering the Zoo for tomorrow or maybe the day after (but at $150 or so for the three of us, geez it's expesnive! Is it really that much better than a "regular" zoo?)....

On the way here we had a great time in Joshua Tree NP, and I'll get some pics up when we can.

Bike content:
    The big thing we're waiting for is new shocks - ordered them on 10/22 from Ted Porter at the Beemershop and they finally arrived (from the Netherlands) yesterday! We're also getting a new shock for the sidecar from Hannigan as well as an updated SteerLite piece, so I'll be installing that along with the new shocks. We've also got what I am pretty sure is some sort of exhaust system related rattle going on, so I'll be looking into that while the chair and plastic are off the bike. Fun stuff!

Hey - anybody know what kind of brake pads go on a Hannigan? I forgot to ask when I had them on the phone the other day to give them a shipping address for the shock... and now that I'm remembering it's of course Friday night and they won't be back around the office until Monday! I've got new pads for the bike and should probalby go ahead do the ones on the chair as well....
  15. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Well I guess you all have been consumed by the megatropolis of southern Calif. May you R.I.P.
    We will miss you. :cry
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That's what happened. Metaphorically, that is in that where we were staying had really spotty cell coverage and very slow kludgy internet. We are enjoying a lovely Costco lunch right now in San Marcos and will be hopefully getting the new shocks on in the next day or so. Maybe I'll even have time to update!
  17. kiwibolt

kiwibolt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this.... the SD zoo is pretty damn amazing, but Balboa Park surrounding the zoo is pretty awesome too. Your son would probably love the Reuben H Fleet space museum (they have a cool kids area where they can play with some cool stuff). The lath house/arboretum there is one of my happy places. I love that structure.
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! We spent an afternoon in Balboa park, but we only walked around one small section, played in a playground and visited with some friends. I think we could easily spend a week there checking out the various museums and other attractions, along with just walking the trails and such at the park. Very cool place.
  19. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent about 12 hours of today in ChiliPepperGarage's garage not getting our new shocks installed, but more on that later - first a little backfill to get us up to date!

We curled back toward SoCal for two reasons, both requests by Jeremiah. One I'll get to later with the San Diego stuff, but the other was to see more Joshua trees, and specifically to go to Joshua Tree National Park. As is our custom, we didn't leave Blythe exactly early, but since we were only an hour away from the park, we did manage to arrive and find a campsite by lunch time. While I was setting up the tent an interesting gentleman named Kevin, I think (never introduced himself but did refer to himself as Kevin in one of his stories - or rather another character in the story called him Kevin...you get the idea), came over and asked some questions, as people do, about the rig. He also mentioned that he was on his way to Baja where he's spent the past 19 winters, and we got to talking about that - mostly he was talking - and we kept talking straight through to dinner time almost. It was great but not all that positive on the driving to the Baja Penn. so we're still up in the air there.

IMG_1925.jpg

We had what was apparently Jeremiah's first dinner of instant Ramen - he declared it salty and ok, but not as good as the ramen he's had at various hipster ramen places in Portland. Sigh. How did we let him miss out on all this stuff?

IMG_1917.jpg

It was a little breezy and supposed to be down to 40 that night, but seemed to be heading toward colder, so we all took a good long walk before bed. I was worried the pups would be chilly as they had seemed a bit cold one morning at the Grand Canyon, so I hopped (which is to stay stuffed myself) into the trailer with them for about twenty minutes before going to bed. There wasn't much room to do anything in there, so I amused myself by taking goofy pictures,
    IMG_1921.jpg
    (Culprit does not look amused)

and by the time I got out it was about 20 degrees warmer in the trailer than it was outside. We finally got around to mounting an indoor/outdoor thermometer so it reads on the dash of the bike and shows the trailer temp. Overnight the ambient got down to about 35, but the tent and trailer both stayed above 40. I think that's our coldest camping night so far.

IMG_1962.jpg
    DRONE and Nixels like this.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ostensibly, Jeremiah wanted to go to Joshua Tree to see Joshua trees, but when he overheard a park ranger tell someone they could climb any rock they could see, Jeremiah decided he wanted to do just that.

Mostly he went alone,
    IMG_1936.jpg

but sometimes he got his mom to follow,
    IMG_1943.jpg

and then he had someone with whom to share the view.

IMG_1945.jpg

While we were walking a recently opened short interpretive trail, designed and built by kids, we ran into a ranger who told us about a particular spot where you could scramble up a hole into some really big rocks. We made that our last stop of the day and climbed and climbed until the sun went down.

IMG_1950.jpg

Most of the rock in JTNP is monzogranite and it's REALLY rough to the touch - it did a number on our hands and my boots, but it was worth it (it also did some fun stuff to my back as I leaned over later that night to look through the window of closed bakery in Palm Springs and almost fell forward...oldness? No, out of shapenes; sigh).

Just as we were loading up to leave that area a rather large coyote strolled by along the edge of the parking area; we caught up with her again as she was crossing the road a few hundred yards later. She seemed both aware of us and completely disinterested - we wondered where she was going.
    DRONE and noshoes like this.