Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan by Ural

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Suqsuda, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    A totally awesome,refreshing and invigorating Ride Report.

Inspirational too....with fantastic photos.

The only downside is how much wanderlust I`ve now got. :evil

Thank you...thank you.

Any more to come ?
  2. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for your comments, guys.

Today was to be our last full day on the road, and it was to be a long one -- so I was eager to start. But first our mechanics had to carry out what were by now routine rebuilds of several of the bikes (including the replacement of yet another valve). Another bike ran out of gas and had to be towed...

But eventually we were then on the roads leading south-west to Pınarbaşı, Tufanbeyli and Saimbeyli. The weather was superb, the scenery was austere but stunning and I joined a small break-away group of outriders whose bikes were running well; we rode ahead and raced each other until our exhaust headers glowed bright purple.

At the town of Saimbeyli Carl went off to get his leaking gas tank welded and the rest of the break-away group had lunch while waiting for the rest to catch up.

It was then a plunge down Sarız Çay valley as it cut its way through the Taurus mountain along a twisting, sinuous road of hairpin turns tracing a rushing river far below at the base of cliffs. This is the part that we wanted to ride in daylight, and I managed to get through it as the sun set.

We ended the day in the dark, in Kozan, camping half-way up a steep hill on the ruins of what were were told was an old Armenian monastery. We lit a campfire and passed a bottle. There was a palpable sense of relief in having nearly arrived safe and sound.

Early the next morning I was the first to rise; I primed my carburetor then coasted down the steep hill to compression start -- sparing myself who knows how long kick-starting -- u-turned then roared back up the hill past the camp, I'm sure waking everyone up, and climbed the dirt road to the ruined castle atop the hill. I don't know if this was a Crusader castle, or Seljuk or Byzantine. Not a tourist site -- I had it all to myself. There is a ruined castle atop almost every strategic hill in Turkey. This one was unusual because it was two peaks with a castle on each one, like two horns.

[​IMG]

We got on our way for the final short leg to Ceyhan. We were met at one village with bouquets of flowers:

[​IMG]

In the home stretch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were met with fireworks and an assembled throng of dignitaries:

[​IMG]

The flame:

[​IMG]

That night at a celebratory dinner, we all ended up in the pool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final destination with the Mediterranean in the background:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    knight likes this.
  3. HornyDac

HornyDac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely RR...It seems to me that the more I read about the ex-sovietic countries the more I love it.You are some lucky bunch!
  4. Tarka

Oddometer:
    Excellent !

Excellent!

And even more excellent!

One of my all time favourite Ride Reports.

THANK YOU . :clap
  5. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for your comments throughout, Tarka, I appreciate them. You might be interested to know that the idea of a ten-year anniversary ride has been floated, although still in early planning and brainstorming phase. This would be along the planned new Nabucco pipeline route from Baku to Vienna with a 'green' theme, using bikes powered by natural gas -- or with hybrid electrical-internal combustion engines; not yet clear whether this is feasible.

6. Tarka

Oddometer:
    I`ve written a few Ride Reports (all on a much smaller scale than yours though) so I am aware of,and really appreciate,the time and effort you`ve put into compliling this masterpiece for us.
    And I also know how nice it is to hear in return how other people have enjoyed and appreciated those efforts.

I`ve read this Thread a few times and often gazed at the photos,daydreaming.

Thank you so much,Suqsuda.

Hmm...very interesting!
    I look forwards to being able to read about that in due time.

Hopefully you`ll be using gas powered Urals . :evil
  7. OrangeOlo

OrangeOlo Olo

Oddometer:
    Hi Suqsuda! Why didn't you let me know you've done this RR??? I gave up on you! I checked today (after a few months) whether there is any new RR about Caucasus and... here we go! Thanks a lot. It is great! I was supposed to study but I was stuck to the screen for the last hour. This time you brought back memories! Seemed you had similar adventures to ours nearby Tsalka, hahahahaha. Is it a cursed or blessed place for bikers???
    Anyway. Thanks again - it was a great story and pics.
    Let us know if your plans for the next "green" trip take any real shape!
    Actually I have an idea for it! Use pushbikes! ;)
  8. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump, OrangeOlo, and I really enjoyed your RR too. Georgia is one of those unique and very special places, for sure. I'll keep you posted any plans for a rerun.

9. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    :wink:<object height="385" width="480"> For Ural fans and others following this RR.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ooAjLafg_NI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
  10. OrangeOlo

OrangeOlo Olo

Oddometer:
    Why you kept it 8 years for yourself - I can't understand :eek1
    Anyway - great short movie! Made me want to go there again. Especially to Az (as we never got there...). It is not gonna happen this year. Maybe next???? Thanks for sharing. Have you got anything more in your sleeve???
  11. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    Bump. This report needs to get to the top for awhile. Let others read it.
    Brilliant trip. Thanks for sharing.
  12. asilindean

asilindean Adrian

Oddometer:
    Epic ride, thanks for sharing :clap:clap:clap
  13. Norry

Norry A Great Bloke

Oddometer:
    A great RR. thankyou. old unreliable bikes certainly add a flavour that seems to be missing in our modern day adventures, my bmw1200gs has done 110k klms and stopped only once in that time.(battery)
    I seem to be drawn to this type of challenge in an adventure, remembering days gone of holding things together with wire to get back to civilisation.
    I will possibly stick with the bm for now and not sell it to buy a Ural,the thing is I still get to wire things up (zip ties now), but that's only because i fall off a lot !
  14. Strappy

Strappy What's this for?

Oddometer:
    What he said. Brilliant and inspirational RR, thank you. Here's hoping the anniversary ride goes ahead :nod
  15. jab1026

jab1026 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very nice pictures and report..
  16. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bumps, guys, and thanks for reading. The planned reunion ride has not materialized but I am still hopeful of something in the future.
  17. rahbert

rahbert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dancing girls... absolutely essential on any long motorcycle trip!
  18. dallastx

dallastx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip, thanx!!!
    And hotdamn, what a purty gals....
    Thanx again and greetz, Hans.

Attached Files:

19. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff.
    Been looking on maps & traced your ride report.
    Good grief, the old maps showed no roads.
    New maps make the trip still look interesting.

Be fun to try to meet some of the old contact along the second ride.
  20. pfdavidz

pfdavidz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. Great adventure with a great cause. Congrats!!!