1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Balancing Spoked Wheel W/O tire

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by m931a2, May 26, 2020.

1. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would it be worth it to remove my tires (during the next tire change) and take my wheels in to a shop and have them dynamically balanced with the brass weights that go on the spokes?

My idea here is that I can start with a perfectly balanced wheel and then I should never need to balance the tire again or if I do it would be very little.

Does this sound like a good idea or just a waste of time and money?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    My rims are balanced that way. Powder coated zinc weights. When I balanced it with the tire on it only to ¾ of an once and ten minutes. They are black on a black rim and virtually invisible.
  3. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    With regard to dynamic versus static balancing, some might argue otherwise but on a wheel as narrow as the typical motorcycle wheel, I can't tell any difference in feel between dynamic and static balancing.

That said, I do have both sets of my wheels balanced (statically), and I don't pull the weights off when I change tires. They're usually very, very close and need minimal adjustment in weight to balance.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends upon how out of balance they are. I've not seen many run the large weights that affix to spokes in a while, though certainly the idea is sound.

If badly imbalanced, I'd probably ship my own wheel off to Woody's for TLC. I've not gotten to that point except when an errant stick badly bent a couple of spokes, and sent me on a low speed fall.
  5. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your bike has tpms, I think that would be a good idea. That way you don’t have to rebalance for its extra weight each tire change.
  6. The Fabricator

The Fabricator I didn't know it wasn't possible so I did it.

Oddometer:
    2000 R1150GS. I balance the wheel w/o tire. I balance the assembly statically. The assembly balance requires much less weight.

I am a retired MC mechanic. Back when I was working, I observed that most new tire changes require close to the same weight amount and location as the take off tire. This means most of the imbalance is the wheel, not the tire. After a while, I did not remove the weights when changing tires, but did check after mounting a new tire. I used a dynamic balancer.

I just reread your post. I was thinking of my own situation where I change my own tires and my bike never sees the inside of a commercial shop. In your case where you take wheels/bike into a shop, there would be no time or money savings. A shop will not discount the balancing portion because
    "it is half done already". A shop has its' set procedures for such things and they just move through the motions, following the dictum 'time is money'. I am not implying that quality is not there. I know I tried to be efficient and consistent as possible, with best technique.
    SmittyBlackstone, STLR and jdub like this.
  7. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I did during my first tire change after buying my '14 GS with TPMS.

Due to the weight of the TPMS, the below pic shows how much weight was required with my Marc Parnes static balancer almost exactly 180 degrees from the TPMS on the bare rim. On several subsequent tire changes, zero weight was needed other than this weight (pretty much the same front and rear) that always stays in place.

20200526_150408.jpg
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I miss reading, or did OP ask a specific question re: "... brass weights that go on the spokes?"
  9. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure why someone would want to use weight on the spokes. I recycle all of the wheel weights I use; just remove the adhesive tape from the used weight, clean it with brake cleaner or alcohol, apply new double-sided tape, stick to the rim center where required. Never had a weight come off using that method.
    LAFS and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gave up on balancing my wheels and tires when I mount them.

Ride-On does it for me and helps mitigate punctures.
    Mcgee and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never used the spoke mounted weights on my GS, but I did on my KLR, and new tire or not, things stayed pretty much in balance without having to make any changes. The only thing that would give me pause using them on my GS is that my spokes are offset from center where they attach to the outer hoop (tubeless LC 1200 GS) and that would mean any weight attached to them would be offset of center as well. Can't imagine it would make much of a difference, but since the adhesive backed lead weight strips I'm currently using are doing what they're supposed to do and haven't needed to be added to or subtracted from yet, I don't see an advantage going to the spoke mounted weights instead. YMMV.
  12. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't get all over the TPMS and cause an imbalance ? but yet sticks to a puncture and seals it ?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nasty crap, IMHO.

Just like Slime!
    [​IMG]
    mikegc and Peltsi like this.
  14. Jack D

Jack D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brass weights for the spokes are machined to clamp to the spoke nipple next to the rim. That is not how the spokes are on the GS. I have not seen any weights for spokes made differently.
  15. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    I've static balance the last 5 or 6 sets and can't feel any different from machine balancing and I have an extra $50 in my pocket!
    rdbonds and Desert Skies like this.
  16. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    ^^^ yep!
  17. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    I thought this thread is about not saving money and/or time but actually spending it?! :D
  18. m931a2

Oddometer:
    So sounds like I can static balance the rim with the tire off, using weights and tape and then just make minor adjustments for tires as I go forward. Sounds great.

The only reason for the spoke weights was to not have them interfere with the stick on ones that might move with the new tire.

Sounds like I might have over thought this a little. I'll get a Marc balancer and just do it myself. That way I know where the dings and scratches in the rim came from.

Thanks for the feed back guys
    Coma, jdub and lewisjr1 like this.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no harm in the spoke weights. The spokes on the GS are thick, and crimp plenty firmly enough. I don't normally use them, but I have in the past.
  20. m931a2

Oddometer:
    I have only ever changed car tires on a tire machine and I alway took off the weights before I broke the tire down.