Bald Eagle State Forest, PA

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NJDRT-RDR, Mar 29, 2016.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can answer my question. A couple of the roads/trails on the dual sport map are marked in purple but have gates shut, not the "if it fits it ships" gates but legit gates. I assume it means those trails are CLOSED to everyone even though they are marked as a dual sport trail. Panther Run Rd comes to mind. Am I correct in assuming this?

Also wonder how long the bridge on Havice will be out. I do ride the single track but they close in a month so I'll be riding roads after that.
  2. Dr. Beat

Dr. Beat Rock steady

Oddometer:
    I would like to know that too. If I remember correctly, Panther run was part of this year's "Conserve the ride" event, and the gates were still closed.
  3. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If a trail is marked as a dual sport trail I go around the gate unless it's specifically posted closed...I'm not sure if I should or not..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  4. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that we're allowed to go through those gates. I know it's allowed in Arcadia State Forest, in Rhode Island (and usually the only way to ride their single loop). I was just going to ask the PA DNR, on their inquiry form, but they want your address, and since mine is in WV, I thought it might be smarter for a PA resident to ask.
  5. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I don't know. In a way I think we can but I don't want to go messing it up for others doing so. I sent an email to the Bald Eagle Forest asking.

"I have a question about some of the trails at Bald Eagle. I’ve been riding there a good bit this summer and have notice a few of the roads/trails that are marked Dual Sport are gated. I realize that the ones with the small opening for bikes are ok to go on but the ones with gates closed marked Dual Sport I don’t go on even though they are on the map provided. Panther Run Road comes to mind. I guess my question is are they open for Dual Sports but are just gated for cars/trucks or are they closed for everyone?"

Sorry if it's incoherent a little. I work nights and my brain is fuzzy when I get up.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Received an answer from the forester at Bald Eagle today:

Hello Bill,

That is a great question and I am glad you asked.

Closed gates and rock barricades are a legal means to indicate to the public “No Motorized Vehicles” and “Closure”, but we have them on the dual sport system which is confusing. Legally, you can ride/drive a license vehicle on any road posted open for motorized use. The dual sport system utilizes administration roads (closed to general public) and retired roads which have been designated as trails. Dual sports can ride only trails and gated roads that are marked with purple paint blazes. There should also be a 7” purple diamond sign with white letters “Licensed Dual Sport” on the trail/road to indicate open to use. People do steal the signs, but the purple painted blazes should be visible from the intersection. You can go around the gate or barricade if you see purple paint and/or sign on the other side. If you don’t see either one, the trail/road is closed to motorized use even if there is a go-around path.

Sorry for the confusion, but I hope I answered your question. If not, let me know.

Ride tire side down,
  7. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there any sort of seasonal closures on this area? I couldnt find any info online...

thanks!

-Bob
  8. Dr. Beat

Dr. Beat Rock steady

Oddometer:
    Yes, from SMCC website:
    "...the only places in Bald Eagle State Forest where off road riding is permitted is at authorized trails listed on the DCNR seasonal trail closure map from the Friday before Memorial Day to through the last full weekend in September (summer season). And from the day following the last day of regular or antler-less deer season as established by the Game Commission through the following April 1st (winter season)."
  9. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clear as mud. So is it open this weekend?

The way i read that is, memorial day through sept and end of deer season to April 1st.
  10. Dr. Beat

Dr. Beat Rock steady

Oddometer:
    It is open from memorial day until last full weekend of September, and from end of the deer season to April 1st. Meaning it is closed after last full weekend of September until the end of the deer season, and from April 1st until Memorial day.
    I'm not familiar with deer season dates, but if the season is over, then yes, the trails should be open.
  11. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    No, the trails are still closed.

If you have questions or need clarification please...

CONTACT BALD EAGLE STATE FOREST
    Bald Eagle District Office
    18865 Old Turnpike Road
    Millmont, PA 17845
    570-922-3344
  12. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    But I believe the roads are open along with driveable trails (that are open). Correct?
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Correct.
    NurseBill likes this.
  15. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I can spend all day there just riding those.
  16. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Oilhed likes this.
  17. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Bald Eagle SF Trail Update:

DCNR DUAL SPORT AND OHM TRAIL CLOSURE NOTICE..” This past year, we’ve had historic wet conditions – wettest year on record (dating to 1887), wettest summer on record, and third wettest fall on record. The fall wet weather resulted in doubling the normal amount on rainfall. The results would be damage, erosion and tread surface displacement to the current OHM and Dual Sport Motorcycle Trail Systems if opened for riding. To prevent further damage to both trails, the winter riding season is closed.“

Basically this mean the trails will not open until May 24th

If you have questions or need clarification please...

CONTACT BALD EAGLE STATE FOREST
    Bald Eagle District Office
    18865 Old Turnpike Road
    Millmont, PA 17845
    570-922-3344
    NurseBill likes this.
  18. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cause there was some confusion elsewhere...here's the FULL statement which goes on to say the roads and driveable trails are still open:

"After lots of thought and concerns regarding negative trail impact and tread damage during the expected mild winter riding season, the District is announcing the following statement today on its website and Facebook page.

This past year, we’ve had historic wet conditions – wettest year on record (dating to 1887), wettest summer on record, and third wettest fall on record. The fall wet weather resulted in doubling the normal amount on rainfall. The results would be damage, erosion and tread surface displacement to the current OHM and Dual Sport Motorcycle Trail Systems if opened for riding. To prevent further damage to both trails, the winter riding season is closed.

The purpose of this is to preserve the single track trails and minimize additional work needed to keep the trails open. I know initially I told everyone we were going to monitor the weather and frost layer before making a closure, but this would have been too difficult and just created confusion for riders. Currently, riders assume after December 09 they can ride.

I know we will have some confusion, but we are hoping the clubs can help spread the word of the closure to riders. This closure applies to all single track and gated Rd/trails. All roads and drivable trails open to all license motorized vehicles will remain open.

Winter Riding Closure Signs will be posted at trail heads and parking areas.

Clubs like yours are important to educate riders and maintain these unique trail systems.

Thank you for all the help.

David Felix, Forester
    Bureau of Forestry, Bald Eagle State Forest
    18865 Old Turnpike Rd, Millmont, PA 17845
    Phone:(570) 922-3344 Fax:(570) 922-4696
    www.dcnr.state.pa.us
    NurseBill likes this.
  19. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.. I had not received the full info from my contact.
  20. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    Will be interested to see if the trails are opened for the summer season or if the “wet weather” closure will continue indefinitely.
    NurseBill likes this.