Bald Eagle State Forest, PA

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NJDRT-RDR, Mar 29, 2016.

1. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    PaTRA has logged 8+ hours clearing downed trees from the trails. There has been much communication with DCNR this spring. We have full confidence that it will be business as usual with the trails opening.
  2. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    Great, thx for the update! I joined Patrailriders a while ago to help support my favorite riding area. Do you guys send out emails about work days or should I just keep an eye on the website?
  3. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering the same thing. I joined some time back.
  4. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    We send out an email and sometimes post on our site. It's a challenge to organize the works days. Often it's a last minute decision and it's the same few guys that are local to the trails.

We are trying to get better about announcing ahead of time so people have time to plan.

Once the trails open for summer riding and we get a list of work to prioritize with DCNR we will make some announcements.

Thanks again to all of you who support PaTRA and the trail system!
    NurseBill likes this.
  5. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    PaTRA work Day - Shade Mountain OHV trail.

Work Day
    When:
    Saturday June 29th 9:00 am
    Where: Shade Mountain Parking Lot.
    Rt. 235 South of Beaver spring, PA

What will we be doing?
    This will be a ride / work day with a focus on clearing the OHM "Off Highway Motorcycle" trails of downed trees.
    This is the only section of trail where you can ride a Non Licensed Motorcycle "Dirt Bike"
    If you choose to ride the trail, be warned this a very rocky and technical trail, experienced riders only!

What should I bring?
    Hand tools, rakes, shovels, saws
    Water....and more water.
    Bug / Tick repellent! The ticks are very bad in Central PA.
    Good Attitude, your gonna have fun!

Sign up below and our trail bosses will keep you informed of any last minute changes or cancellations.

Thank you in advance for volunteering your time to ensure these trails stay open for future generations of riders!

https://fs29.formsite.com/RnmDwX/dgqawbbhdg/index.html
    NurseBill likes this.
  6. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Let me see if I'm off.
  7. JiT

JiT Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Riders,
    We need your voice! Penn State and DCNR are asking us what is most important you and me. This is our opportunity to be heard as an off-road motorcycle community.

Let them know we would like to see more single track trails opened to licensed off-road motorcycles!

Also access to the already established DCNR ATV trails would also be a great win for the dual sport motorcycle community.

Please follow the link below to the survey.

https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ablcBG32tIkrX6Z

See you on the trail,
    PaTRA
    Branch run likes this.
  8. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    DONE!
  9. XL500R

XL500R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was out on the trails Tuesday. The ones I hit all seemed to be in nice shape. The flowers blooming along the trails were really nice. Thinking about going back up this Saturday if anyone would be interested in meeting up. Here’s a picture of some of the flowers along Kreb Gap(I think that was the name of it).

EF6F4B89-E77E-4AFA-AED0-9E0BCD248D76.jpeg
  10. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    An inmate asked about gpx files of trails in the Bald Eagle State Forest area, and south, so I'm posting what I have here. Sorry, it's a pretty big file:
    The official motorcycle route map is here:
    http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20029714.pdf
    and the statement regarding legally bypassing closed gates is here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/bald-eagle-state-forest-pa.1134035/page-3#post-35814934

There are a few food waypoints in the file, but I haven't tried them, as we were eating in a campground. If anybody has a recommendation, let 'em know here.
    Novices should stay away from tracks shown in red in the subfile, Bald Eagle State Forest Official:

Attached Files:

Sonny S. and Snake Oiler like this.
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time

Thanks Chief. I didn't ask, but save them in the chance I'd make out that way.
  12. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I'm likely running over Saturday with a friend of mine. Not doing anything difficult or even remotely difficult.
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    KIMG0068.JPG Was over today with a friend of mine. Parked at Sand Mt and worked our way to Lauralton, mostly Plantation trail and gravel roads. My friend got a flat about 1/2 mile from Lauralton and I hustled it back to get my truck and his trailer. Not a single person stopped to see if he was ok or not. Was a nice day though.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the Red tracks the only routes which big bikes should avoid? I'll be traveling through the area in a few weeks, and will do a brief sidetrack to hit some of these routes. I'm on a sprightly WR, but my buddy is on a KTM 1290 behemoth.

Many thanks,
    Chuck
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent the day playing in Bald Eagle today. What an awesome area. Not just the forest roads but the paved twisties as well. 20190701_105844.jpg
  17. Dr. Beat

Dr. Beat Rock steady

Oddometer:
    Red tracks on the dcnr map are not open to motorized use, so they should be avoided by all bikes. You should look at the purple trails, as they are the ones intended for motorcycle use. I'm on 1200GSA and ride most of those, so your buddy should be OK. When are you planning on hitting the trails?
  18. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Dr. Beat, thank you for the reply. I was referring to the tracks colored red on that GPX file which @CloudSplitter posted. They are for motorcycle use, but he has designated them difficult or expert only by personal experience. Since you do most of it on a 1200GSA, I do imagine he'll probably be fine on most of it. We have a campsite reservation for next saturday (7/13) so we will probably be riding it that afternoon or Sunday morning.

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Dr. Beat likes this.
  19. Dr. Beat

Dr. Beat Rock steady

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to the dcnr map. I would definitely recommend North Sand Mountain trail, it's a super fun twisty dirt trail, with not too many rocks. On the dcnr map, it's right below the legend, below the DeckerValley Road. Let me know if you'd like company, I'd be glad to join you!
  20. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Great thanks! Once we figure out our timing I'll shoot you a PM. I'm on a WR250R, so I'd love to try some more technical stuff, but my buddy doesn't want to get into anything too tight with his 1290. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a local show us around.

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Dr. Beat likes this.