Bald Mountain Jeep Trail INTRO

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Vambee, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Vambee

Vambee Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody! Guess what after my failed trip to BRP made it back this past weekend. Of course, ths trip went better this time with a riding bud accompanying me we made it in time to catch the best foliage colors.

CHALLENGE: Up at 5 a.m. to mount a new Dunlop TM MIssion. Ruined the first tire because I was obviously not a proficient tire expert. This lack of knowledge cost me $189 plus a day trip to BRP earlier last week. Feeling luck though because everything could have been way worse.

The best thing is I beefed up my tire changing skills, arrived home safely, met some new people, and explored some great scenary for the first time.

ROUTE: Departed Newport News Friday afternoon to meet my buddy in Richmond. All I64 from NN to Richmond. We then took state route 6 from Richmond to Scottsville. The route was excellent. My buddy really helped me to relax as he is all about seeing new towns, scenary, and meeting new people.

We took make an hour and thirty to arrive to Scottsville for a late lunch and beverages. We chatted up the time with some of the locals as they admired the ST and AT.

CAMPING: After a late lunch we decided on setting up camp. We crossed the bridge from our lunch and camped at Horseshoe Flats Campground. This was a great spot in that the hostess was super easy to get along with as she was great at checking in on guests throughout the evening, showers were clean, bathrooms convenient, and we were right next to the water!

DESTINATION: Bald Mountain Jeep Trail was selected by my riding bud, Mike. We had about 10 miles of fun ahead with a limited schedule. We arrived on site around 11 a.m. It was starting off easy with a slight climb on the gravel road. Mike was skeptical as to whether he could make the ride as he was new to off roading. We stopped and he asked one of the jeepers what the route was like going forward. They were amused that we would try by moto. Warned us of waist deep mudhole. Sounds like fun to me.

The path narrows to one lane and we navigate through the bumpy rocks on flat terrain. Mike drops back to the second position as the terrain intensifies. We are confronted with large stones the size of footballs, helmets, and bigger obstacles requiring 100% attention and forward thinking. I am looking for a pull off in a decent spot, but it takes another 75 to 100 yards of climbing. I get off take a quick bio break. Listening as Mike climbs with is AT. The noise of his engine stops. I walk down the hill and he is perpendicular on the road seeming to turn around. The two beeps obviously were a notice that I would be going the rest of the way alone.

I help him with a strategy to press forward. He is willing to try and finish. We dismount, take a breather, and walk the hill for 25 yards planning a short pathway forward. It was going to be challenging but doable in my estimate. Mike and I take off up the hill and it is rough but I find another good spot to pullover. No engine noise. I strip down and head back. It is Mike 40 yard back. Another 10 yards is his AT in the prone position. Mike is limping, right side mirror glass is shattered next to his bike.

Long story short our adventure winds up here in the trail only 7/8 of a mile along Bald Mountain Jeep Trail. We are able to pickup and turn around, have lunch, and get back for the cage life. 20201023_185530.jpg 20201023_185545.jpg 20201023_214834.jpg 20201023_215208.jpg 20201024_072656.jpg 20201024_104703.jpg 20201024_104731.jpg
    s2k34 likes this.
  2. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Vambee

Vambee Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looks like a nice tool