Balladonia Telegraph Track - Western Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OzBen, Mar 22, 2009.

1. OzBen

OzBen KTM690ER

Oddometer:
    This is a short report as my ride was cut short - on the 2nd day I came off on a remote, disused telegraph track and broke my leg.
    460kms from the nearest hospital and almost 1,000kms from home - couldn't have picked a better place.

T
    he plan was a 2,000km trip in 3 days, about 1,000kms on dirt - two 1150GS’s, one 1200GS and an R80GS.

Day 1 we headed east from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Perth</st1:place></st1:City>, 350kms on sealed road to Hyden and 300kms on dirt to Norseman.
    [​IMG]

About 20kms south of Norseman we turned east onto the old telegraph track - it isn't maintained but still used by camel shooters in 4wd&#8217;s.
    A section of the track gave way under Robin's front wheel and we got a taste of what was to come&#8230;

[​IMG]

We set up camp and left the next morni<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> for Balladonia, about 200km down the track.
    [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Met camel shooters alo<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> the way and had a chin-wag...
    [​IMG]

After a rest stop I forgot to disable the ABS so I found I had no brakes when I tried to slow down for a sandy corner.
    I overshot the bend and went through a bush that covered a stump - part of t
    he stump broke off and lodged between my fork and brake disk.
    Front
    wheel stopped and the bike went down...

[​IMG]

It landed on my leg and snapped it about an inch above the ankle &#8211; not a good thi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng.
    That interfered somewhat with our plans, so we </st1:personName>
    boiled a brew and considered our options.
    I bandaged my leg for more support and put the boot back on before the swelling got too much.

[​IMG]

It turned out we had only one option - Balladonia was another 60kms and I could get onto sealed road from there for 400kms to the nearest hospital in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kalgoorlie</st1:place></st1:City>.
    To get to Balladonia meant ridi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> another 60kms on the pegs, but we had to do what we had to do, so off we went&#8230;

[​IMG]

Balladonia - sealed road from here so I could sit and keep the weight off my leg.
    I bid the others farewell and they continued on the planned trip &#8211; 400kms south on a sandy track to Cape Arid where they camped the night,
    and 800kms back to Perth (through Esperance) the next day - m
    ore falls but no injuries.

[​IMG]

Got to hospital that night and after filling me with pain killers (at last!) they set my leg in plaster with instructions to see an orthopaedic surgeon when I got back to Perth.
    The next day a friend of mine drove 600kms from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Perth</st1:City></st1:place> to fetch me and the bike. We loaded the bike at a cut-out in a mound of dirt and got home late that night.

[​IMG]

It's an experience I&#8217;d rather not repeat, but you have to take the good with the bad, I suppose.
    Anyway, it all came good and I&#8217;ve done many rides since.
    OzBen
  2. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your report. Sorry about your get off. I hope to see another report from you.

Take care
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oz riding is the paragon of adv rides! Thanks for the report and pics.. looks like a fun ride :thumb
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Broken leg? No worries. Stop and boil a pot of tea... then ride 400 km back to a town.

Iron men.
  5. petemoss

petemoss Having a look around

Oddometer:
    I'll never complain about an uncomfortable seat again
  6. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1 You're a better man than I Gungadin!:bow :thumb
  7. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well There you have it! anything can and does happen when adventuring the world. Life can not be enjoyed in a cocoon of safety and fear, one must get on with life and enjoy new experiences. Hope you have a full recovery and get back at it again.
    Mike
  8. JDRevolutionary

JDRevolutionary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The leg injury is unfortunate. It seems you are in good spirits. Give it some good healing and you will be back on the bike... and writing some more ride reports.
  9. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fu*kin hardcore....amen brother :clap
  10. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Good one Ben, I thought those green leathers looked familiar.
    Robin Morritt in the second last photo ?
    The old fella looks like he needs a haircut. :D

Andrew.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
  11. enigma--

enigma-- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    seems like a good ride, and good and tough of you to keep going with a broken leg :p
  12. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    awesome legend!
  13. NickiGS

NickiGS 09 F650

Oddometer:
    Deserving of a few beers after all that :beer

Well done to you!
  14. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Bad news Ben, seems we're hearing a lot of fibulas breaking at the moment, must be the "in thing". :becca

I did mine just above the ankle on my last ride to Lake Gairdner Speed Week, 3 weeks ago, but didn't realise it until I rode 600kms home & took my boot off.:huh Aussie Jase broke his higher up near his knee on the same ride.

At least I'm getting to catch up on all the ride reports I haven't had time to read yet. :kurt

All the best for a quick recovery :wave
  15. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and nice attitude, wa is a pretty cool place .