Baltimore, MD to Alaska Looking for Riders 2020 or 2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jbkrab, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 2016 I attempted to ride to the Arctic circle but a suicidal Bambi took me out of the trip just east of Winnipeg. Totaled my bike and almost me. Fast forward to now.

I want to do this trip again but aim for Deadhorse, AK. I am RETIRED so I am not on a time constraint. I don't want to ride alone, especially after my last attempt, and I want to also see about riding on roads less traveled if possible.

Anyone interested please contact me.
    wilsonjw42, bobw and phreakingeek like this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're doing well and back on the horse, mate...

Happened to me in the Yukon w/ dali sheep.. bike was totaled but Im 100%..lol.

Good luck on the next trip!!
    wilsonjw42 and bobw like this.
  3. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I'm retired also and was thinking about riding to the D2D rally in Dawson this year. Road to Alaska in 2012 had a great trip camp the whole way. Do you plan on camping or staying in hotels. I'm in Northeast Ohio.
    Enduro_Sibiu likes this.
  4. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Those Canadian animals are Killers!
  5. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can do either. Last trip attempt it was all planned Hotel up and back. I have a tow behind trailer for the bike (just have to get a hitch if I'm going to use it). I guess in reality a little bit of both would be ideal.
  6. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just took a peek at the D2D, that looks like a lot of FUN!
    95Monster likes this.
  7. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you established any dates? I've thought about an Alaska ride from PA but I would trailer my bike to Washington State and then ride the bike to Alaska and back.
  8. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I were to to go this summer, I'd leave no earlier than May 26th, and no later than July 10th. I have no time constraint. Though last time we were riding 600+ miles a day. I have no intentions of doing that kind of mileage and I may want to do some gold panning as I go along. Not being in a rush and enjoying as much of the trip as possible.
  9. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I ride a GL1800 and a KTM 990. Plan on riding the KTM when I go. Last time we left in the middle on June and only had 3 days of rain which was good.
    jbkrab likes this.
  10. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That deer took out my Ultra Limited. I have a Star Venture and a Stratoliner as well as my Tiger 1200. Just got the Tiger, so I need to put a bunch of miles on it to get used to that style of bike, I figure about 50 miles and hopefully not drop it too much! LOL
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  11. KIM750

KIM750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live by Annapolis and will be retired by spring 2021. If you don't go this year, or want to go again next year, it's a definite maybe.
    wilsonjw42 and jbkrab like this.
  12. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I think we need to make some plans. Can you send me a email at krab (at sign) bjbark dot com.
  13. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add that if you are serious about this, I will delay until 2021 with no problem.
  14. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    It's awesome that you are mended and now have the time to make the trip. I was going back to AK for 2020, but am holding off until 2021 as an oil truck ran over me and my then 3 week old motorcycle about 6 months ago. I went in 2018 with 2 friends that I met in MT and we had perfect weather that allowed us to see almost all the "must see" stuff and yet in 3 weeks we also barely scratched the surface, so much to see in such a huge area (I was on the road for acouple months and 15,000 miles).

Most of my rides are solo, but I have also covered a good bit of the lower 48 with these and several other friends. We share a pace for trips that is different than our local rides and do a bunch of planning that keeps surprises to a minimum.

This all said to explain my empathy for being alone v. w/companions if a problem occurs. BUT ..... The longer the ride the more important and more difficult it is to find a good riding partner. This is more important than an oil thread and using nitrogen in tires thread combined!!!! :roflBe very sure expectations are shared be it miles between breaks, eating, sleeping, weather, speeds, what is on the agenda as must do and would like to do, experience on dirt and mud, BUDGET, etc, etc. This is Your trip, but it is also Their trip. If at all possible meet prior and do at least a weekend run somewhere. How flexible and able to compromise are all and agree how to part ways if it's not working.

Cheers
  15. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heal up quickly. WOW, that experience alone would have made me not get back on a bike!

My exact sentiments on this trip. Last time we were on a time constraint, doing 600+ miles a day. Not this time, 300+ miles maximum and I want to spend some time gold panning along the Yukon River. I'm bringing my pans and snuffer bottle! As you said, there are way to many adventures to be had up north.

Last trip we had an InReach Tracking device, and a Sat phone. Plan on doing this again, just need to rent a phone.

Nice thing is I have all the maps, GPX files, Mile Post and other items. Not going in blind but well planned.
    bobw likes this.
  16. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:

Thanks! I thank top shelf gear, speed on the truck was minimal and I am built like a caveman :clap allowing me the luck to let bones mend and still want to get back on the horse. May have to let my Guardian Angel have some R & R this season too.

That sounds awesome, being retired I can appreciate and applaud your having the extra time to do it the more relaxed way. I thought about a sat phone and may give it a go too, nothing is important until it is needed and I had planned to do more backcountry this trip as well.

All the Best, this trip will be that much more enjoyed after the major detour you survived last time!
    wilsonjw42 and jbkrab like this.
  17. wilsonjw42

wilsonjw42 Long rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My S/O and I are headed to Alaska from Northern Virginia in mid-June. I hope to see you on the road, if you're going this year.
    bobw and jbkrab like this.
  18. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2's company and 3 is a crowd. But if you don't some company riding along, maybe for part of the way, we should talk.
    bobw likes this.
  19. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Awesome run made awesomer (a proper Scrabble word) by SWMBO being able to join you! My lovely and supportive bride at 68 years young no longer rides with me, but I love seeing couples getting trips in together two up or their own bikes!

Safe travels!
  20. Enduro_Sibiu

Enduro_Sibiu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!
    I'm also in Northeast Ohio (near Cleveland), I have a 1090 Adventure R and I'm interested in an Alaska trip.
    Let's plan something!
    Thanks.
    Adrian.
    jbkrab likes this.