Baltimore, MD to Alaska Looking for Riders 2020 or 2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jbkrab, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please email me if you truly want to team up for this and we can discuss the details and goals. Krab(at)bjbark(dot)com [replace (at) with @, and (dot) with a .]
    Enduro_Sibiu likes this.
  2. PA Dewayne

PA Dewayne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in an Alaska trip.
    I live in SW PA, near Pittsburgh
    I'm retired too so no time restraints
    Enduro_Sibiu and jbkrab like this.
  3. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you truly are interested please email me to discuss details. Krab(at)bjbark(dot)com
  4. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    This would be my dream. Wife nor life would never allow for it. Please please please stay active on these forums and post a detailed RR. I'd look forward to reading it.
    jbkrab likes this.
  5. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 2015, when I first proposed this trip to my wife, I thought for sure it would be a "HELL NO, YOU CAN'T GO". Instead her reply was, "CAN YOU LEAVE TOMORROW!"
    bobw and 95Monster like this.
  6. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    :D Maybe the trick is to piss her off a couple weeks before so that it's like "Good. Go"

What's your planned route?

Unlike you, I have work to contend with so it is a time constraint for me.
  7. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last attempt was to ride north to Buffalo, NY cross over into Canada and pick up the Trans Canada Highway, work west and take the Al-Can to Dawson, then Tok, to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Arctic Circle, then work back down to the canadian National Parks in the Rockies, then into Glacier NP then Yellowstone, NP over to the Sturgis area then work our way home. This time, I want o enter Canada either at Suite Sainte Marie or over in North Dakota and pick up the Trans Canada Highway at Winnipeg. Depends on several factors and timing. I'm expecting about 11K mile trip at the minimum.
  8. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Crossing over at Sault St. Marie would allow you to ride the north shore of Superior and ultimately put you through Thunder Bay. I've never been, but have always wanted to. I wonder if there could be a pared-down trip for me in there somewhere...
  9. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    This is a route I planned a while back that seems to correspond pretty nicely.

upload_2020-1-21_10-24-43.png
  10. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. PA Dewayne

PA Dewayne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    email sent
    jbkrab likes this.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    worst route, for various reasons.
    jbkrab likes this.
  13. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't plan on repeating this route. This is what happens when you have a committee planning the route! Def will cross over into Canada in Wisconsin or North Dakota for next trip.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin, please let us know how that works out.
  15. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I rode around Lake Superior in 2017, I crossed into Canada north of Grand Portage, fast no traffic, easy worth the ride there. Crossed back at Sault Ste Marie, lot more traffic but still not as bad as Buffalo crossing!
    bobw likes this.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Grand Portage/Pigeon River to Sault St. Marie is Minnesota to Michigan, no Wisconsin. been across that stretch of road many times, frankly, once was plenty but i had other business up that way and had no choice. i'd much rather cross through the UP above 2, either direction, have done that many times too. just follow the lake if time allows.

also, from the Soo to Thunder Bay is the most heavily patrolled stretch of highway i've ever seen in Canuckistan, coast-to-coast. the OPP has zero sense of humor when it comes to exceeding the speed limit on that road, so it's a slow roll unless you're feeling very lucky. the OPP would be more than happy to confiscate your moto for riding the same speeds you're used to in the States.
  17. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's all the same but I do stand corrected. MN not WI. Didn't have an issue with the Canuks and speeding. Guess we got lucky. Beautiful ride though.
    bobw likes this.
  18. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those following this thread, I have decided that I am no longer going to ride to Alaska and Arctic ocean. I've decided for several reasons that I rather ride the TAT as well as ride all of the BDR routes. TAT is currently scheduled for summer of 2021. MABDR will be done later this summer and I think I'll do the NEBDR in September if my schedule allows time.
    zaxrex likes this.