Bandit 1250 Cam Chain tensioner?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DLdeano, May 6, 2009.

1. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Just my luck...El Bandito returned from her 7,500 miles service the other day. I didn't notice any new noises and she seemed to perform well when she got home. Started it up to warm it up and check fluids before a long commute this weekend, and there is a distinct vibration/slight rattling sound coming from her. Not the usual clutch noise...softer, higher frequency and is most audible from the other side of the bike.

Sounds like cam chain, or something in the stator assembly that is making a bit too much noise.

Swung it by the dealer, and the mechs first thought when he heard it was cam chain rattling around. Any precedent for this problem?? Is there a TSB on this?

After my Buell ownership didn't go as planned, I figured the Bandit was a safe buy...oh well; even 'bullet proof machines" get cranky.
  2. treybrad

treybrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's definitely no precedent for it. I haven't heard of a single issue.

What all do they do at the 7,500mi check? Should just be fluid changes, no?

CB is right, there is a cam chain guide that fits into the top of the valve cover and has a tendency to come loose when the cover is removed, but valves aren't due until 14,500mi, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You've got my interest. I'm at 32,000mi with zero problems (knock on wood), and I think that's been the norm for most all owners thus far.

Keep us posted.

trey
  3. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Talked to DLDeano this afternoon and the dealer changed the oil & called it good :dunno Not sure that was the way to go on that deal, but like Deano mentioned he's got a long commute this weekend and this should resurface any of the issues he mentioned earlier. I am sure that he post any findings, but I think he's a bit frustrated at this point.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    If it is anything like the Kawasaki stuff you may want to replace the stock automatic tensioner with a manual unit. http://gsxrzone.com/sprockets.html

I have had a manual unit on my KLX for 25,000 miles after having two stock units go bad in less than 15,000 miles. I adjust it probably about every 5000 miles or so on the KLX, when I hear a ticking.

I just put one on my Zephyr, but not had a chance to ride it yet. The thing with a multi is that it is smoother on jerking the chain around, so it shouldn't take much more than a yearly check or something like that.

In other words, the manual units are easy to live with.

Of course you may not need to change out, I don't know much about the Suzuki units.
  5. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Still looking for opinions as, well, I am not too sure what to think. Here's the latest:

Dealer checked out everything last week (took off case covers, checked stator/clutch/oil passages/ etc...) and said everything looked good. Re-assembled and re-started bike and it was still noisy.

He drained the syn oil, put in regular Suzi 10-40 and it seemed to quiet down. Called me, said he didn't fix it, but it was quiet again due to new oil. Honestly, he seemed as confused as I am and didn't know what to think. Advised me to ride it and let him know what I found...

Rode ~500 miles this weekend w/o incident, except noise is now intermittent, and seems to be noticeable sometimes on cold start up, where as with the syn oil it needed a minute or 2 of running before it started rattling. With syn I never rode it too far to see if it went away with engine temperature.

I do love this bike, though, and guess we'll get it sorted in due time...doesn't seem to be terminal, so I guess I'll ride it and carry a cell phone :D
  6. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer.....

My R1150R made a noise similar to what/when your's does; 58,000 miles later I learned to live with it.

My FZ1 made no noise, the Bandit's four cylinder does though. I wear ear plugs 95% of the time, the other 5% of the time.... I'm reminded of the noise. 12,000 miles on the 1250, no problems, still wear ear plugs, and I often wonder if my valves are loose.

Ear plugs can be you friend.... and denial might result in your engine blowing up. To heck with it, I do oil changes, I got plenty of ear plugs, covered under warranty, and all I wanna do is RIDE.

What noise???

LOVE that Bandit's torque!!!!
  7. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Just an update in case any one finds this thread at a later date:

I did 2K+ miles on the regular Suzi 10-40 that replaced the first batch of synthetic with no issues or further noises. At 10K miles I switched to another brand of full syn and have done a few hundred miles...and nothing!!! No noises (well, other than the Bandit's usual song). I guess she just didn't like something about the syn the dealer used. Strange, no doubt, but since it was looked over by a mechanic I trust an nothing was found amiss, time to shut up and :ricky

Oh well, at any rate, here's to another 10K miles on the girl :freaky
  8. algarete

algarete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you don't mind me changing the subject a bit since you seemed to have fixed the problem, but how do you like bandit compared to the buell?
  9. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Different machines, entirely (as I am sure you know), but I used them both as sport tour type bikes, commuters with some weekend rips thrown in for fun.

To me, the Buell was more 'fun' to ride, but less 'fun' to own; where as the B1250 is the only bike I have owned in the past several years that if it were to be stolen or lost I'd replace it. I am sure it will fall victim to my bike ADHD eventually, but for now it does it all well, predictably, dependably and with good fun; torque's the word here.

The B1250 is stable in corners and seems to like to be ridden smoothly, whereas the Buell coaxes the rider into hooliganism. The B1250 needs minimal attention, whereas my Buell required constant attention (tighten this, check torques there, engine heat, keep an eye on fluid levels, etc...).

The Buell handled very well, but the B1250 trades in handling prowess for stability; probably due to geometry and weight. The B1250 makes power everywhere (well, actually runs out of steam at ~8K+ rpm's) and has a huge midrange. The Buell made good power and torque, but liked the upper half of her tach better than the lower part. Comfort of both (after the Sargent seat install on the 1250) is similar w/ no complaints. Both have good ergos, but I did install larger windscreens on both to assist with distance travel.

YMMV-I like riding both of them; but I am happy with the increased fuel range (also-B1250 uses 87 octane and the Buell takes premium), broader power, and more even keel of the B1250. With that said, however, when I did my track day I did miss the Buell. Not that the B1250 is soul less, just that the Buell is so soulful.
  10. bnhocking

bnhocking n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I noticed the noise but did not realize that it was the cam chain tensioner. I have 23k miles on mine when the tensioner broke in half allowing the cam chain to hop on the cam and wrecked the valve train. looks like it will cost 3 grand to have the bent valves repaired. I am pissed at Suzuki, they recommend having it checked, in order to do that you must split the engine case costing $1900 to check a $38 part. Basically you would not do all of that and not change it, Suzuki is getting to be a pain in the ass. My wife has an '07 SX4 that at 50k miles the wheel hub broke almost causing her to wreck the car. (my ford has 230k on it with the original wheel hubs and bearing) Looking around the internet both of these problems are known on the internet. They really need to rethink their quality. They will not do anything for the bike saying that I should have checked the tensioner, what a piece of crap design. If your tensioner is making noise sell the bike! :boid
  11. treybrad

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a manual tensioner that fits the 1250?

trey
  12. treybrad

Oddometer:
    I posted this up on another site, but for those of you who are paranoid about auto tensioners (like me), there is a manual one available for us. Looking for a MCCT for my WRR, I ran across this fellow who is a fellow ADV inmate - Mark Krieger.

We exchanged a few emails and before I knew it I had shipped him my stock ACCT so he could design a MCCT to replace it. And so he did.

Old (top) vs. New (bottom):

[​IMG]

He pointed out some wear on the teeth and shaft where it was obviously been jumping teeth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a tight fit to get in there, so put your hands and fingers on a diet so they can squeeze in the tight spot. I actually loosened the clamps and moved the throttle bodies up a few mm to get the last bit of extra clearance I needed to get to the mounting bolts. Once it's mounted, it's pretty easy to adjust the MCCT with a ratcheting wrench.

[​IMG]

And so that's that. No affiliation with Mark or his company, I'm just a satisfied customer who is happy with his product. I know he got 10 of these puppies made up in his first batch, so if you're interested, give him a shout. Nice guy, very reasonable prices for what you're getting compared to most custom, small batch parts like this.

Hope that'll help someone.

trey