'banjo's blogtastically stooopid day trippin' picture thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by knybanjo, Aug 23, 2010.

1. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Here's what my day looked like from outer space.

[​IMG]

@Reddog* 's day was just beginning though as he felt like he needed to just start pounding out some miles for home, I believe that rascal made it all the way into the middle of Kansas that night and home the next day!!

I didn't put in any of those kind of Iron Butt mileage days on this trip and decided to do a little bit of touristing around Canon City beginning with their 'hogback' scenic Skyline Drive.

[​IMG]

It's just a short little one way road atop a knife-like ridge on the edge of town...kinda cool though.

[​IMG]
    norton73 likes this.
  2. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    norton73, JRowland and The Opa like this.
  3. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Head east from here and one is directly out on the Great Plains.

[​IMG]

That's all there is to it...descend a couple of swithcbacks and you're in town.

[​IMG]
    Cuttle likes this.
  4. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Just watch your WRC manners on that last switchback...or you may end up like this WRX!

[​IMG]

At least he/she had the manners to roll over the edge on the shady side so I didn't have to bake in the afternoon sun while waiting out the recovery effort.

[​IMG]

I wonder if this was the same wannabe rally racer that darn near ran us off of Ohio Pass the day before? :D

[​IMG]
    Reddog* and The Opa like this.
  5. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really in a big hurry to get home as that would have put me smack dab in the middle of a tropical storm.....but my property has a lot of big trees on it and I figured it might be a good idea to set myself up to roll in right after the weather cleared, just in case there would be a big mess to clean up or an ins. claims to get started.

There wouldn't be any traffic problems rolling across the plains on this day. :D

[​IMG]

Rolling east on the 96.....every once in a while you have to roll off the throttle for a hunnert yards or so where a town used to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Opa likes this.
  6. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Opa likes this.
  7. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Ah...Kansas!

Hanging out in the pool at the Curve-ranch watching the sunset over the lake, it doesn't get much better than spending time with Mr & Mrs @Curvy doing that! :bubba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    norton73 likes this.
  8. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    That tropical storm was a slow mover but the weather down in the Ozarks looked to be good so I decided to take a little detour down that way...rolling out in the middle of a lazy Sunday morning, I think the puppies wanted to go with me. :D

[​IMG]

It looked like I may have to deal with a few showers as I hap-hazzardly zig-zagged my way south and east.....but they fizzled out in front of me and it was clear sailing. :thumb

[​IMG]

Rolling out through the Flint Hills of SE Kansas....

[​IMG]
    norton73 and Reddog* like this.
  9. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Just a few more pics and this run will be wrapped up.

Clipped the NE corner of Oklahoma on the way to Southern MO....then down to Eureka Springs, AR via twisties back roads.

[​IMG]

Y'all know what a curvy road looks like by now....but maybe you haven't seen these particular shacks before? :loco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Rolled out of Eureka Springs fairly early on a foggy Monday morning....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It cleared out soon enough though and I spent the day rolling MO back roads aiming to cross the Mississippi River into S. IL for the night.

[​IMG]
  11. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    norton73 and The Opa like this.
  12. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pro tip:

:deal State bicycle routes usually make good motorcycle routes too.

[​IMG]
    norton73 likes this.
  13. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Made it safely to the barn @Cow Boy Brad 's place. :D

[​IMG]

Let me just tell ya...it doesn't get much better than hanging out there with his family either! :clap

[​IMG]

Just hanging out on the back patio overlooking a campfire and pond...not a bad way to digest those smoked ribs. :bubba

[​IMG]
    norton73 and Reddog* like this.
  14. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    The weather was clear to make a run for home on Tuesday and I basically just slabbed it back taking the lesser of the evils which is the KY parkway system vs. I 40 across TN. It takes a bit longer but overall there's a lot less traffic with a few optional two lane short cuts.

[​IMG]

So this is what 8,400 miles of goofing off might look like from outer space. :D

[​IMG]

I was happy to find the worst thing Tropical Storm Florence left for me to clean up was one small tree whose upper branches were resting on a shed out back. No visible damage to the shed itself and just a lot of small twigs and leaves scattered around the place to pick up/mow over. :thumb

[​IMG]
  15. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
  16. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I was planning to be home a few days before going to the Nottarally anyway, just to regroup a little and catch up on mowing the lawn and paying bills..silly adult stuff like that along with oil changes and getting bikes ready and loaded to head out again.

Sometimes things go a little haywire even while doing the mundane stuff....like when that pin thingy and spacers disappear and you need to improvise...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

....but you didn't notice that it was missing until the loud crunching sounds of the mower eating one it's own wheels. :umph

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Good thing I run the front tires flat anyway. :shog
  17. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I was home a few days earlier than planned and ended up spending some of that time doing even sillier adult stuff....like replacing rotting facia and trim. :twitch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I did manage to get the Strom serviced and all the other bikes out for some exercise too....even if it was just for a lunch break from adulting.

[​IMG]
    mike25 likes this.
  18. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Stayed up in Asheville Wed night and got to get a closer look at the bike that won this year's 'big bike hill climb' at the MMM.

[​IMG]

Every time I see one of these conversions the itch to lift mine up to at least standard height comes back. :D

[​IMG]

Despite a crappy forecast we really lucked out on the weather, made it to Del Rio between showers on Thu and was able to get the kitchen and the big tents (as well as our own campsites) all set up before on and off again showers rolled back through later in the day. That was the only rain we had though, absolutely beautiful weather the rest of the weekend and NO DUST!! :clap

[​IMG]
    norton73 and enduro0125 like this.
  19. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    As you see I opted to haul the old DR 650 and mini up in the truck along with the deluxe camping gear....reason number one was just because it had been a few years since I'd ridden some of the rougher stuff in the area like Hurricane Creek and the like. Friday morning the creeks along both sides of camp were still quite high and that led me to wonder if HC would even be passable or not? But @falcofred brave enough to go have a look so the two of us went to have a look.

Our first clue would be the creek crossing at the bottom of the Gulf in the Martha Sundquist SF...it was clear and of normal depth. :D

[​IMG]

Random cabin shot going down the other side of the mtn on Max Patch Rd.

[​IMG]

Taking a little break at the turn off to HC....just to get psyched up for it. :lol3

[​IMG]
    norton73 likes this.
  20. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    While we were there we got a visit from @b00t who was on his way over to the Notta. :wave

[​IMG]

Well here goes nothing.....the crossings tend to get deeper as you go down the mountain....this one up top was easy-peasy so we were no longer too worried.

[​IMG]

Pretty normal looking from my memories of years past.....

[​IMG]
    b00t, norton73 and Reddog* like this.