Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival Oct.8-10 Al.

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by Tripletreat, May 21, 2021.

1. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where in the forum can practical info be found re attending this Alabama event?
    spokester likes this.
  2. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I typically post my Barber comments in the Regional part of the Forum, Southeast Region. I have two swap meet spaces each year, and try to get the "chatter" going on a Barber thread closer to Fall. I know alot of folks are already asking "when do the camping spots go on sale there"???? (I don't know the answer, i sleep in my own bed each night during the event....20 minutes from my house)
    Dusty Roads likes this.
  3. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Barber's web site and sign up for their e-mail notification on the event
    Camping in lot B goes fast lots of motels around I have stayed in Moody at the Red Roof Inn many times 4 miles away east on Hwy 20
    Dusty Roads likes this.
  4. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take it that the camping is limited and those who wish to be close to the action need to be near the head of the line.
    Are there food and shower facilities for those who camp?
    spokester likes this.
  5. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    I cannot speak for the camping areas on site, but there is a nice bathroom/shower facility over at the "Lower" (original - 400 spaces) Swap Meet Area with 1-3 food vendors there during the day. There are food vendors in the Fan Zone, I believe, also......as well as smaller other ones scattered around the park. Others will chime in here shortly, but fires (for cooking) are only permitted in contained grills, not directly on the ground using firewood. As bodine mentioned, Moody is right up the road with a Junk Food Heaven, Walmart, Food Stores, etc. An alternate location on lodging (motels) is the Highway 280 corridor.......9.5 miles away heading west on Hyway 119. All kinds of eateries and motels in that area, some not cheap, but a "nice" (securitywise) area of town vs somewhere like Irondale (closer to the track). Oak Mtn State Park is 15 miles from the Barber Complex........some stay there (in campers/motorhomes) and ride their scooters to the track every day. The event has gotten so big for its britches, car parking is limited and most spectators must park offsite (near the Barber Entrance on Rex Lake Road) and ride their free shuttle system into the complex.....which can be a PITA if one comes to buy used bikes and/or lots of parts??
    Dusty Roads likes this.
  6. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good information. Thanks a bunch.
    I still feel as if I'm in the dark as far a camping permits are concerned. The Barber website doesn't mention any special permit that I can find there. What am I missing?
  7. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    I was able to drill down into the Barber website and found..........."Tickets and Camping on sale starting June 8"..........best to call them starting early on June 8th. According to their website, tent camping spaces are approximately 20' x 20' and you get (1) vehicle parking pass, but the vehicle must be parked within your 20 x 20 space. Like I mentioned, I have never tent camped there so my info may be in error.....I was just going by the website.
    Dusty Roads and norton73 like this.
  8. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! I will call. Thanks.
  9. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are allowed to enter the park with a weekend admission which can be pre-purchased or bought at a nearby motel. Other vehicles require a parking pass which in the past has been available at a nearby motel. Camping permit is for a site without a limit on the number of people. One four wheel vehicle could be parked on the site. Sites were lined out on my last visit. There are no level sites. With traffic, dust will probably be a problem.
    In the camping area there was a shower trailer and a lot of portable toilets lined up. The vendor area restroom is open all weekend. In addition there are facilities in the pit area, but hours of use for non-racers are limited. A free pit pass is needed to access the pit area-available at the tram stop.
    A tram runs most of the day. Ace Cafe requires an additional pass, as does the museum. There are no grandstands to watch the race, but instead there is a lot of grassy areas. Bring a chair. There are food vendors and nearby food outside the gate in Leeds and other places.
    If I go I will likely stay at Oak Mountain.

Bob
    Dusty Roads, BUZZARD II and norton73 like this.
  10. bikerjim2000

bikerjim2000 Tree Top

Oddometer:
    Heads Up!
    I just reserved my tent site get on it before its too late! And be ready for excessive fees.. Oh well spend it before you cant!
  11. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    I got a text from a buddy who said Camping is already sold out.......as of right after lunch today, but don't take my word........call them...!!!!

EDIT: he may have meant Motorhome Camping is sold out........Tent Camping still open on the Barber website. Sorry for the panic............
    Dusty Roads likes this.
  12. yogojr

yogojr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tent camping is sold out now but bet there will be tickets available on the secondary market if this damn pandemic thing gets people pushing the panic button again. Saw a solo cyclist today with a mask on...and I live in a rural area. His choice but my worry concern is will it get cancelled again (Lord I hope not) or will it scare away folks. Just worn out by all this crap. Hoping to see ya'll there. I'll be there
    RedShark likes this.
  13. riddare

riddare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought on the cancel. I got my info from them on the work detail a couple wks. ago. If the op has never been there he needs to know how hot it usually is. Camping is hot there. May not be a biggie for him. Also sitting in the grove for shade is the way to view the race for commoners.
  14. yogojr

Oddometer:
    Riddare, I looked up average temp for early October and it’s a high of 74 but that said I’ve never been to the festival so thanks for the heads up. What is involved in work detail? Thanks
  15. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    I received my Swap Meet Vendor Packet in the mail on Monday, so right now, the event is still "ON".........but we all know that could change. The surrounding states (Miss, Florida, Ga.....and in some parts of Bama itself) are presently hot spots for the Virus. I hope that changes within the nextb 30 days as more and more folks get the vaccine.

Weather in October: the last 2 years of the event, it was Hot as Hell .........reaching 100F more than once. It was sheer agony the first year. The second year, we were prepared with a generator and two box-fans hung from the canopy ceiling........Redneck ceiling fans at its best!! We supplied free ice-cold Lemonaid two days, and then ice-cold water the next few days to spectators in the swap meet area and it was a life-saver to some. Bring bottled water (or a large thermos to refill) just in case that happens again this year........global warming and all that stuff, ya know. You can refill in the bathroom facilities, lower swap meet area. But, previous years have produced near picture-perfect cooler weather (70's) during the day, and some years 40's at night (which chilled a few of the swap meet campers).

For you out-of-towners: if for some reason you get in a bind during the event, whether it be vehicle breakdown or ????.......come see us at Swap Meet Spaces H29/30 and we will see how we can help?? (I am local, and my partners live an hour away).....look for the Kawasaki and/or ZRXOA Banners.

mark444
  16. yogojr

Oddometer:
    Good to know on the heat. Are there electric hook ups at the tent sites? If there are, are they shared across multiple sites or individual to a site? If no electric - then assuming it is primitive camping.
  17. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    I have not been in the camping area, but I serously doubt there are ANY hookups.......water or electric........except maybe in the Motorhome camping area. I do know, there are zero hookups in the swap meet areas....even for cell phone charging, unless there are electrical outlets inside the swap meet bath house/RR structure for electric razors, hair dryers, etc.
  18. PatrickG450

PatrickG450 point, aim and twist

Oddometer:
    plenty of hotels close by
  19. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No electric hook up on the tent sites. I'll have my genny if ya need a cell phone charge.
  20. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you tent camp, spray a perimeter of bug poison around your site. Tiny biting ants will crawl right into your sleeping bag with you. I got a room in Leeds this year.