Barker’s Performance Exhaust...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by IHJ, Jun 19, 2020.

1. IHJ

IHJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    8C70427E-3A55-471B-B606-F256E5DE9EA5.jpeg

My ‘01 1150GS came with an exhaust system by Barker’s Performance of Bad Axe, MI. Doing research on this system has produced little info, and earlier this week I found out why.

A local shop ordered parts to repack the muffler because the end-cap blew off while I was in traffic, the result of some internal wear/damage. The shop owner talked to Barker’s and found out that only 6-8 systems for BMW twins had been sold, so there was a supply of parts available to repair my muffler. The internals are all new and it now has a spark-arrester, something long-gone from the muffler when I bought the bike.

It’s still too loud even after repacking, but I have a factory muffler now, and I’ll play around with it sometime soon. The Barker’s kit looks like it’s from the factory headers back, and the cat’s been deleted, so my exhaust note is going to be louder than stock, anyway. I have to admit that it’s fun to drive through tunnels or underpasses and then whack the throttle just to hear the WAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHH of my exhaust, but it gets a little tedious on longer trips. With the empty muffler acting like a resonator it was unbearably loud, and even though I coasted and short-shifted as much as possible, it rang my ears in the 2.5 miles back to my house.

Anyone else own a system from them? What have your experiences been like? I’m curious as to what the other 5-6 owners have to say.
  2. IHJ

IHJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm the only one.
  3. mtech1950

mtech1950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    had a set on my 1125r, loud, like wake the dead loud. right turns were kinda muffled, left turns, rolling thunder
  4. IHJ

IHJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m curious if my 1150 is going to run any differently with the stock muffler on the aftermarket pipes. I had it mounted up on Sunday but didn’t realize that the bolt that holds the muffler to the frame is too short, so I need to go to the hardware store soon.