Barn Find 1981 R80GS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Big Bamboo, Sep 6, 2019.

1. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats.
    I'll be going thru my spare parts and seeing what I might send you to assist in the resurrection.

Planning a repair and ride OR tear down and rebuild?

Cheers!
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Repair and ride for now; charging, tank, bent wheel, front bearings, brakes, turn signals, and... I already have the charging components, wheel bearings, and turn signal stalks in stock. Even have a good used clutch and transmission, if needed!
  3. sasquash

sasquash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    R100 GS pipes will work,throw away the giant collector and get a crossover pipe,Use the r100 GS bash plate protects the crossover.You can use points in a can but the bike never had them.R80st or r65 tank will work but I would clean out the tank and have a good look,most small holes r fixable and the sealer from KBS works wonders,Buy the bike.Get on the DMV site for Montanna,for 90$and some scribbling they will send u a title ,good luck the bike is worth the effort
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  4. Haginator

Haginator n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought an '82 basket case 20 years ago for $1600 Canadian '7 boxes + a frame'. It was more work than I originally hoped, and (as i should have expected) a few parts were missing. However, I learned a lot in the process and was able take care of some long term maintenance items such as the rear main seal that require major disassembly to handle. I was later able to pick up a 35 liter PD tank and have since added a single seat. In my opinion the 35 Liter tank is one of the most beautiful/ useful tanks ever made, and really improves the bikes looks plus it's range (of course). Hard to find, but worth it. I got most of my parts from Motobins in the UK, or off the airheads marketplace. Lots of great resources and a surprisingly complete range of parts available. good luck with your project!
  5. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really is an iconic design element and one of the best BMW put forth into production.
  6. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Looks like the original "black Chrome" pipes are still available, for not too much $$$. I will probably switch to a points bean can, if only for the ability to bypass the electronic ignition in a pinch. That tank has ethanol gas in it for the last ten years, or more. The bottom on both sides is solid thick rust, worst I've ever seen. Title issue is resolved. He just needs to get it in his name. Thanks
  7. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Was it an R80G/S as well? I am somewhat of a champion of lost causes, too. My first major restore was this 1974 R75/6 I bought for $1500. It was running, but very crusty, and the rings were shot. Sourced most parts from eBay and Germany. People have asked me if it is a new bike! Sandblasted and painted the frame myself, love that solo seat: 0001.jpg
    Texer, Uke, spo123 and 5 others like this.
  8. durtwurm

durtwurm Talented Amateur

Oddometer:
    Good! The issues you were worried about have disappeared and soon you'll have a runner.
  9. drbeemer73

drbeemer73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I LOVE the R80G/S. If you send me your email address I can send you information I have collected for that model, where to buy parts, history of the G/S, etc. There will be a 40th Anniversary of the R80G/S-R65LS in PA Sept 21-23, see www.R80G/s.org for details. Hans Muth will be there, plus more luminaries.
  10. drbeemer73

drbeemer73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    It is a runner. Now I just need to make it a stopper!
    durtwurm likes this.
  12. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Potentially a great bike, I had a R 26, a R60/5, a R75/6 (my favorite) and then many years later in 2001 a R1100R which I still ride in Germany.
    The thing with the BMWs Boxers pre 1992 is the crankshaft bearings. If that motor has been sitting in used oil they could be toast.
    If you do not change them pre-emptively and they crack its going to be very expensive.
    Other than that the bike looks awful, it is going to be a LOT of work to get it shiny. So if you do value your time its a no-brainer not to buy it, but if you look for a hobby, well I guess it may be worth a shot.
    In Germany you can get a R80GS from around 1990 at around 5000 EU with that milage and in near immaculate conditon.
    They start at 3500 EU but with high milage, over 70.000.
    There are several in the market online.
    So if you get it tip top for an add. 3000 bucks its worth it.
  13. danielhwolf

danielhwolf n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it. He came very close to self-identifying as someone who places no value on his word.

If one makes an offer and it is accepted, th has a legal and moral obligation to follow through -- and if the item is valuable enough can be forced to follow through or pay damages.

Every once in a while I bump into someone who sells to someone else after shaking hands on a sale. Every person who has done that has been a person who seemed to have no concept of moral obligation. It pisses me off when it happens but later I pity the person because his/her life is likely full of breakdowns.
  14. Dominator

Dominator n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice, nice find Big Bamboo.
    The 1981 R80G/S has a special place in the history of BMW, being the grand daddy of their most successful model line.
    Values are subjective and obviously based on condition but recently they have gone ballistic, price wise.
    Since the beginning of the year, BAT (Bring a Trailer) has sold a decent one for $12,500 and another (pretty nice) for $20,000.
    (Both of them with big tanks, which looks good but not period correct as the PD didn't come out until 1983.)
    I was in Las Vegas last January when Mecum sold a very nice (but far from perfect!) '81 for $38,000 with fees.
    As the owner of #49 of the production of GS's, I am delighted but soon they may become just collectables and too valuable to use as intended.
    That tach alone is worth $500-650 on eBay and I'm still looking for one!
    I don't think you can go wrong putting time and money in it if you don't deviate too much from stock.
    In the mean time, you'll have a fun ride so enjoy the refurbishing!
    Big Bamboo and BazBro like this.
  15. Gilmarsh

Gilmarsh n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks brand new compared to my 1981 bike which was parked in the mid 90s. That exhaust silencer looks out of the box, nice. That bike here in Europe would be twice the price, even with the title issue. Seal the tank or get it welded, best to have original parts. Loads of spares for sale in Germany and the UK. Well done on the purchase.
    Big Bamboo likes this.
  16. SWRoamer

SWRoamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice find! I have a 1984 with the P-D kit installed, said kit being released a year or two after the initial release of the bike. Included the tank, solo seat and rack, and a few other goodies. Get the mechanicals in shape first, cosmetics can wait and besides-- both the G/S and the GS are "tools, not jewels". When you're done you'll have a bike that is a pleasure to ride and capable of providing years and years of fun.
    Best,
    DG
    Big Bamboo likes this.
  17. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with Hawaii titles....research and call the state of Vermont DMV. It's so simple and it is a real way to get a title. I called them myself but ended up finding a $90 fix at my county court house.
    I will now buy any Airhead without a title.
  18. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Interesting, and I'm sure availability is better in Europe, but this is the only one I have ever seen, either on the road, or for sale in the Hawaiian Islands. I currently own 6 Boxers, with 4 in running condition. That's at least 1/4, if not 1/3 of all the Airhead BMWs on the Big Island! Plus, I've been looking for a Monolever for a long time. Basket cases don't scare me, but I have sold a few of the really nasty ones to people who are more gluttons for punishment than me...
    sam2019 likes this.
  19. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've been using a beat up '73 R75/5 as my main dirt road ride. It's super fun, but the few times I've ridden an R100GS in the dirt have convinced me I needed an upgrade.
  20. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    That is the plan, my Boxers only become "Garage Queens" when they break!