Barn Find "help"

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by aerone, Jul 28, 2010.

1. aerone

aerone Clemson Cafe' Racer

Oddometer:
    I just got a 88 Bumble Beemer out of a barn. It has 6100 miles on it and has been sitting since 93.

Troutrider has told me to clean and tighten all grounds and grease the clutch hub splines.
    I know that the brakes, wheel bearings, carbs, tank all need cleaning/replaced as I go.

What else? Maybe I can get Trout to post some pics, since I can't seem to figure it out.

Oh yeah, no key, I can't open the tank or turn on the ignition. How to get keys?

Thanks...
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go buy a few cans of carb cleaner right now, maybe a couple carb rebuild kits too if the rubber bits are old and hard. Change all your fluids. Ride a few thousand miles and see what else needs attention after that.
  3. Brian-M

Brian-M Melting in GA

Oddometer:
    You can remove the ignition cylinder without the key, I'd pull it and drop it off at a Locksmith to have a key made (it'll run you somewhere between $50 and $100 to have a few keys made up). Now, you won't get the fancy flip-top Beemer key from a locksmith, but once you have a working key, you can have others made up at leisure.

Get that going before you start working on the running part (carbs) so it's ready before you are.
  4. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hopefully these will come through. By the way, I have a couple of flip top airhead keys. One is like new. They might be close enough that a locksmith can make it work. I can't remember what they came from. They've been in my toolbox for a while. I'll try to make it out your way in a few weeks when it cools off and I'll bring them.

Troutrider

Attached Files:

5. Troutrider

Oddometer:
    'nuther one...

Troutrider

Attached Files:

6. Troutrider

Oddometer:
    I'll send you a list of things to go through. The biggest thing is to put in some miles before your trip in the hope that any seals that turn loose will be close enough to the house to ride home then fix. Hey Airhead Wrangler, Me and the fambly will be flying into Seattle Friday afternoon for an extra long weekend. Hope the weather holds out. I have a reputation for clouds following me around. I'll be looking for kid friendly places to enjoy some local brews. Dad needs sedation!

Troutrider
  7. Troutrider

Oddometer:
    One showing the pristine, crusty tank...

Troutrider

Attached Files:

8. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man I hate you.
    So envious.
  9. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:

+1

Happy for you and all.

Grrrrr.

:lol3
  10. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Well.
    The first thing you need to do is understand why it's been sitting so long.
    Then fix that issue, then all the problems from sitting

Before you start it up
    Order up a new oil pan gasket, then drain the oil over night
    Then pull the pan, clean the sludge and make sure the pick up is on, and tight. Using the new gasket put the now cleaned up pan back on.
    Finish an oil change with a new $3,000 oil filter following the in depth measurements of canister depth.

Then change the rest of the fluids.

Valve adjust

The borrow a battery and make sure the electrics are all up to snuff
    Put some new spark plugs in

Clean the carbs

And your set to fire her up.
  11. aerone

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trout, maybe some day I can do that. BlaineHale you're really gonna hate me. I picked it up right off 28 in NE Georgia. It was simply parked by it's owner in a barn, running good as ever he said, we'll see.

$3000.00 oil filter? How much are they really? Any mail order houses out there with good BMW parts.

My wife found the registration slip I left on the counter last night and told me I have to sell something before I buy it.

MAR 250 FS:$1000.00

RED FRAME CZ 981.5 380/400 1974 $1800.00
  12. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Don't be turning the engine over or starting it before lubricating everything! Ensure the flaky carbon in the combustion chamber is cleaned out, then oil the top end, and rotate the engine and trans through many cycles - five minutes at least - in top gear pulling on the rear wheel.

Dry starts are the major cause of wear.
  13. Brian-M

Brian-M Melting in GA

Oddometer:
    That's the cost to rebuild the engine should it have an oil issue (metal shavings that bypass the filter and get in the bearings). My bike was dealer serviced before I bought it and didn't have enough O-ring squish... so that was fixed on my first filter change.

As for parts, I was pointed to Max BMW for an online source.
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/
  14. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The issue is the fiddliness of the filters, and if not installed with the correct filter, shims or gaskets, or if things have changed over the years and clearances aren't correct, oil pressure can drop to nothing on a hot day and fry the engine. The three thousand dollar moniker was the cost of an engine replacement - most likely much more these days.
  15. aerone

Oddometer:
    The spokes and nipples are a little rusty as well. That might call for a a rebuild before I set out across the US.
  16. coastranger

coastranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great find

as myself trying to fix a "basket case" the p.o told me only SOME of the reasons it had been parked, and partially disassembled, he was not honest, and recently found paperwork that he had switched the speedo out, so instead of having nearly 60k on it, it is near 100k

so be prepared for anything, I was for most, the only thing I wasnt was for a final drive, that went out within 500 miles of being back on the road, spun a bearing, prob had before I got it
    still in the hunt for a final drive

but again ,,,nice find
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Here's a good one down at the public market, where you'll probably already be going anyway:
    http://www.pikebrewing.com/

Another one over in Ballard:
    http://halesbrewery.com/

A good one down by Safeco Field if you're going to a Mariners game:
    http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/seattle

Here's a good one with a few locations, not sure if they allow kids though:
    http://www.elysianbrewing.com/

A personal favorite, but no kids allowed:
    http://maritimebrewery.ypguides.net/

Also if you and the Mrs. can ditch the kids somewhere and get out for dinner, check this place out:
    http://brouwerscafe.blogspot.com/
  18. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Grab the key, at least a locksmith will know what blank to start with.

As far as maintenance parts, filters, etc., www.beemerboneyard.com has good Mahle oil filters.

Good luck with it!
  19. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    BMW dealerships still sell the blanks for the flip top keys if you want to start with a new one. The one near me has them in stock, but any dealership could order one for you.
  20. aerone

Oddometer:
    Is the 4 digit number on the switch barrel the key code. I called Touring Sport BMW in G'ville and they want a LOT of info before they will order a set of keys. I guess that's a good thing.

Oh yeah, what's the bean can ??