Base Camping and Day Tripping Colorado 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KYwoodsrider, Aug 19, 2021.

1. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Base Camping and Day Tripping

Oddometer:
    All you old farts get out and ride!
  2. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I did not read all your info on day 6; so missed the Owl Creek Pass part. You were almost in my brothers front yard with free camping. He is on Little Cimarron creek & road; while you were basically on Cimarron Road & creek! Oh well, day late and a dollar short!
    Ride on my friend!
  3. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    There's always next year. I'd like to explore that area so more, especially on out to hwy 50.
    For all the multiday riders this makes a great bypass around Montrose.
    Critic likes this.
  4. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    Colorado day 8
    This was my last day riding in Colorado for 2021
    I rode from Trinidad Lake State Park to Cordova Pass.
    I started on Burro Canyon Road just up from the park entrance on hwy 12.
    A series of gravel roads work there way through a canyon. You can see the Pass in the distance
    20210828_093441.jpg
    The road goes though section of this wildlife area. I took a few side trips and seen some large deer with trophy size antlers. Sorry no pics
    20210828_095621.jpg
    More meanduring through the canyon
    20210828_105946.jpg
    I could see storms forming in the distance
    20210828_115758.jpg
    And then I was there. Unfortunately a pretty serious thunderstorm was passing overhead. Instead of trying to go over the Pass I waited around for about 30 minutes until it passed by.
    20210828_121116.jpg
    The road to the pass is easy gravel. There are some loose and rocky sections but nothing like the Alpine Loop.
    20210828_122817.jpg
    The top of the pass is about 10k feet. There is a campground on the top. The place was packed.
    20210828_125341.jpg
    Just on the other side of the pass is a really awesome overlook.
    I spent some time here and then headed back to Trinidad. About 150 miles for the day.
    20210828_131402.jpg
    20210828_131528.jpg
    20210828_144550.jpg
    So this concludes Colorado 2021. Tomorrow I drive to central Kansas and Monday return to Kentucky.
    However it won't be long before I start planning Base Camping and Day Tripping Colorado 2022.
    So if you know some good places to base camp or good places to day trip in Colorado feel free to add to the thread.
    mbabc, Bigbob1, BrockEvan and 12 others like this.
  5. jeepjeff

jeepjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed reading about your trip. Rode Colorado for 3 weeks 5 years ago. Loved it. And now that I'm retired ,yay!!, I'm planning to go west from the Pensacola area for 3-4 months next summer. I'm on a 690 and GSA. Keep me in mind, maybe we'll meet up and ride. I'm a camper also..And I'm in my 50th year of riding too.
    KYwoodsrider likes this.
  6. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    I'm finishing up my 4th year of retirement and it's been great.
    I'll start getting serious about my trip next year about Jan-Feb next year. I'll touch base with you then once I know where I'm going.
    greenmtndave likes this.
  7. jeepjeff

jeepjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That'd be great. I'd like to ride several of the BDRs, maybe starting in NM . And spend the warmest part of summer at elevation in Colorado. I'm 11 months into retirement, moved from Charlotte to Pensacola area in April. Retirement ROCKS!!
    Al-Rider, joenuclear and KYwoodsrider like this.
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

enjoyed this, i was out there this summer & did phantom, skyline & ouray

awesome roads
    KYwoodsrider and jeepjeff like this.
  9. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to hijack the thread as connectivity finally supported some posts. While @KYwoodsrider was dealing with the climb on Imogene and his radiator/fan issue, he had to stop several times when his temperature light came on. It was pretty warm and the Beta temp jumped up to 230 degrees several times.

IMG_8754.jpeg
    @KYwoodsrider is blasting through a tunnel section

IMG_8757.jpeg
    A view partial way up Imogene. There was a baby head rock section that I did not get a picture of but definitely added to the fun factor.

IMG_8760.jpeg

@KYwoodsrider waiting for the 450L to cool off. It was 80+ degrees on the mountain that day. While I was waiting, I was talking to a guy in a truck coming down the mountain and he told me, "I am impressed with you guys riding dirt bikes, that takes way to much energy." We had heard a lot of negative comments about the non-bike crowds but overall, we were both pleased as the majority (actually only one or two) that were not courteous and did not follow the "etiquette" rules of the trail.

IMG_8761.jpeg
    The cursory picture at the peak but decided to move on before some of those behind us caught up. It was pretty dusty to say the least and my air filter reflected as such.

IMG_8762.jpeg

After we crossed, another picture looking toward the valley and back to Ouray. As @KYwoodsrider stated, "Another good day and nothing broken". Always a bonus when you get older. As we rode the next day to Owl Creek, @KYwoodsrider then headed east and I continued west. I rode a section of the UTBDR and will post some pics later. Looking forward to riding the WABDR next week.
    Fast1, Bigbob1, red bud and 8 others like this.
  10. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    The bent radiator and crushed radiator fan definitely added to the drama of climbing up Imogene.
    The high temp light came on 5 or 6 different times on some of the long, loose, rocky climbs.
    I would just turn the bike off and let it set until the light went off and then continue on.
    The bike never spit out any water and I never seen any steam.
    Closer inspection once I got home showed the water level in the overflow tank was still at the correct level.
    The larger issue was that the lower radiator pipe was bent about 45 degrees and the flow through the pipe was probably reduced to about 50%.
    I've got the parts to fix it and plan to ride the Land Between the Lakes 200 next weekend.
    No way to get through the tight single track and heavily wooded trails of the LBL 200 with a bent radiator and crushed fan on this ride.
  11. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @KYwoodsrider

Thanks for posting in my ride report, and mentioning yours! Great report, and great pics! We definitely rode some of the exact same dirt/rocks. My crew sort of did the opposite direction for the Alpine Loop (we went clockwise), and even though overall Engineer Pass wasn't the toughest, it had the toughest section for me coming from Hwy 550 and heading East to Lake City. It was in the first 2-3 miles, very steep, very rocky.

We had planned to to Ophir to Telluride for lunch, and then ride up to Bridle Falls turn around and then take Imogene back to Ouray...but was got rained out. 2 of the 4 of us were/are too chicken to do Black Bear. That said...given how you tackled the steps at BB, maybe I should reconsider.

I love your choice in bikes too...as a Honda Fan Boy, I really took a close look at the 450....but decided to go smaller and more street oriented with the 250L.

I also really like your truck camping set up. As a non-camper, what you have is probably the only thing I would consider doing versus a hotel/motel. I'd love to see more pics of inside your truck to see what I think is a cot? Also, I assume the topper is pretty tight and bugs/mosquitos aren't a problem?

Thanks
  12. BackroadsOnly

Oddometer:
    As we headed west, we camped in Aspen Grove campground near Strawberry reservoir outside of Heber City, UT and it was a great location and is pretty close to the UTBDR sections 4&5. Little Winnie tucked away in the Aspens.

1 - site.jpeg

Here is the view looking out. Pretty awesome scenery.
    2 - Strawberry.jpeg

I started my trek on FR90 that leads out of the campground. Pretty good road that had some pretty good ruts and rough areas. The Beta was pretty happy with all of that. I have concluded many times that the bike is significantly better than the rider. So far, the bike has been bulletproof. It will definitely need some TLC when I get home.
    3 - FR90 overlook.jpeg

I had read about the open range areas and came around a corner and to my surprise, there were sheep everywhere. I gently manuvered past them and they were seemingly used to some traffic. There were several that thought I needed to go around them.
    4 - Sheep.jpeg

Further up the mountain, I found some single track opportunities. I was tempted but was on a schedule and wanted to get the on the BDR so passed this time.
    5 - Single.jpeg

Turned around and headed to the UTBDR and picked up section four heading south. This section goes through Timber Canyon
    6 - BDR.jpeg

The rock structures and cutaways through the canyon were awesome and really interesting country. Need to add the UTBDR to the bucket list. So many options, so little time.
    7 - BDR.jpeg

As I continued into the canyon, it was pretty desolate. I only saw two other vehicles going the other way.
    8 - BDR.jpeg

The Beta giving me the smug look telling me to bring it on....... @KYwoodsrider talked me into installing the Tubliss system and I am sold. When we were in CO, dropping the pressure really helped in some of the rock situations. We had done some road sections to get to the passes and once we forgot to drop the pressure. I kept thinking why is the suspension feeling so harsh. Duh! let some air out of the tires.
    9 - BDR.jpeg

This road follows a stream and drops down into this section of greenery. I can imagine a good rain changing the dynamics pretty quickly. I rode about 100 miles in/out on this section and was not disappointed at all. Kudos to the BDR folks for a good route. Headed to Washington and have already sampled some of the WABDR with more to come.
    10 - BDR.jpeg
    Fast1, Wick, redrock88 and 7 others like this.
  13. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. I'm missing the "west" already.
  14. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    We came down Engineer to hwy 550. The entire decent was very difficult and I was thinking the whole time how glad I was we didn't go up that monster.

Our trip to Ophir/Telluride got canceled because of thunderstorms and also because we were exhausted from Black Bear/Imogene and the cumulative effects from 4 days of riding
    We rode Owl Creek Pass instead. It wasn't difficult but the scenery was outstanding.

The Tacoma set up works pretty well. While it is a little cramped it's much more comfortable than tent camping. It's also easy to set up/take down and it's quick and easy to move around in since there is no trailer to mess with.
    Here is a little more detail on my build.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lets...hell-build-outs.1296078/page-25#post-42143551
    I'm thinking in a year or 2 I might do something similar with a van.
  15. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Awesome camper build out! Love it. Makes my head spin with all the possibilities. I have a Tundra, but she's older and has like 206,000 miles on her. I think I would hold off on doing anything until I upgraded her.

What brand is your hitch motorcycle rack?
  16. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are some awesome truck camper and van builds out there these days.
    I have the Black Widow 600 lb capacity hitch carrier
    I got it from Discount Ramps
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  17. BackroadsOnly

Oddometer:
    I have a Versa Hauler VH-55 (500#), a little pricey but it has been solid on the westerly trek.
    KYwoodsrider likes this.
  18. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this trip with us. I've done alot of that area years ago in our jeep and love it there. May after I get more experience with ds riding I can go back out there on my bike.
    jeepjeff and KYwoodsrider like this.
  19. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your username. Thats what one of my nephews use to call me when he was small. He had 2 uncle Jeff's, I was jeepjeff the other farmerjeff.
    BackroadsOnly and KYwoodsrider like this.
  20. BackroadsOnly

Oddometer:
    Definitely no longer in Colorado but I told @KYwoodsrider that I would continue on this thread but I also advised it would not be at the level of his blogging skills. When we left Utah, we stayed at Bruneau Dunes State Park in Idaho. The highest sand dune in the US is located there and the sand adds to the energy required for the hike. I should of looked closer as the IDBDR did not look like it was too far away but missed that opportunity. I booked a site at Rimrock Lake resort on highway 12 in WA and it is on the route of the WABDR section 2. We had an awesome view of the lake from the point and I would recommend it. I had originally intended to go north on section 2 but the Schneider Springs fire prevented access to that area. I have to give a special shout out to all the firefighters dealing with the wildfires across the US as it would be a very challenging and hazardous role to be in. The smoke at the campground was minimal as the winds were from the SW but you can see the haze in the distance.
    1 - Rim Rock.jpeg

On the section 1 on highway for about 30 miles before heading south. There was a scenic view pull-off of Rainier and the sun was actually shining so I seized the opportunity. Our daughter lives up here so I always kid her about if she can see Rainier or not since it is usually overcast.
    2 - Rainier.jpeg

Enroute, I had to go through Packwood where Honda initially hosted the first test rides for the CRF450L in the US. If I recall correctly, it was rainy and cold when they did that. Fortunately the Beta is red so I slipped through undetected.
    3 - Packwood.jpeg

At the turnoff to the FR, I decided to drop my tire pressures (yes, I remembered this time) and a Forest Ranger wanted to make sure my bike was legal. I jokingly asked him if KY registrations were considered legal. His only response was yes, as long as it is current and it is current. He did not get out of the truck to check but he was on another mission. He was just doing his job and I don't mind if they ask.
    4 - WABDR.jpeg

Rode section 1 back to Walupt Lake to check that out. It was really dusty and the lack of rain in this area was very apparent. Besides several vehicles, a GS1200 passed me headed north.
    5 - Walupt.jpeg

This is pretty lake up in the mountains with plenty of camping and hiking opportunities available.
    6 - Walupt.jpeg

Needed to stop and get a drink so a cursory picture of the woods was necessary. The road up to the lake is paved while the rest is gravel with a lot of braking bumps or small whoops in our case.
    7 - WABDR.jpeg

The twins were alone by themself but compared to the surrounding pines, they are huge as you can see. They might be pines as well just a supersized version.
    9 - Trees.jpeg

Beautiful scenery and rugged terrain around every corner. The iPhone camera does not do justice to this.
    8 - WABDR.jpeg

I took this picture at the Clear Creek Falls Overlook. The smoke from the wildfire has moved this direction. Per the display, you should be able to see Mount St. Helen's from here but pretty difficult to see. Another good day of riding and a chance to get a taste of the WABDR. I plan to hit section 3 or 4 at Cashmere this coming week.
    10 - Peaks.jpeg