Base layer/armour/goretex OR klim suit?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AndyCL, Aug 4, 2019.

1. AndyCL

AndyCL n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! Could maybe do with some advice please!
    I'm after a clothing setup for touring, 100% want goretex laminate, armour and as much ventilation as possible.
    I was set on the klim latitude.. but...through a lot of cycling so have largish legs plus an active life so have wideish shoulders, but still being little economical with my altitude (5'8'') I'm struggling to find gear that fits well without looking like I'm wearing a oversize suit.
    Plan B maybe to use layers like I'm used to with cycling and mtb, so a wicking base layer, armour (knox/forcefield) and a goretex shell.
    Does anyone know a good vented/goretex shell? Poss with good abrasion resistance too? Any opinions or experience greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!
  2. tridor

tridor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the new jacket from mosko moto. They are in the vendor section and produce high quality stuff.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Personally, I to like the layer concept, and forcefield armor.

My setup is custom to me, mix of gear, that meets my riding style and location.

I ride mostly in colorado, utah, Arizona ...rain happens but not much, large temp fluctuations often.

My kit

Lower body

Ex office brief

Bohn mesh tight, with a mix of forcefield, bohn, and D3O pads

Klim Mojave mesh riding pants

Marmot Precip full side zip waterproof / breathable pant as needed.

Up top.

Merino wool tee

Long sleeve Merino wool midweight zip t as needed for warmth.

Forcefield Chest Rib protector

Klim Induction Mesh Jacket with full Forcefield pad upgrade.

Marmot Precip waterproof/breathable jacket as needed.

I belive in keeping Impact, weather and abrasion protection as much as possible as separate layers.

You may want to look hard at the Bohn line of mesh tights and shirts, you can buy them with or without pads. Forcefield pads will into most of the bohn pad pockets.

Hope you found this helpful

Acott
  4. AndyCL

AndyCL n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed reply Acott, really useful and interesting to hear what others have found to work well for them!
    Having tried the Latitude and some of the other 'adv' suits, they all seem so bulky, I understand the need for a certain level of 'weight' but even so... The bulk of the gear makes the fit essential, which if you don't quite fit into their demographic can be an issue.
    I'm swaying towards a mesh based jacket for armour and abrasion (also less 'form sensitive' for fit) then carry a goretex shell if needed (Klim induction does look good!). I'm wondering if anyone does essentially kevlar pants with armour pockets? i.e. I have Hood jeans with a full length kevlar inner... that inner, with the armour, which then a pair of enduro lighweight trousers or gortex outer could be worn?
  5. AndyCL

AndyCL n00b

Oddometer:
    ...The Moskomoto Basilisk jacket is defo getting some thought also as an abrasive/waterproof shell though, looks really well thought out
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

My typo error my name is Scott, not Acott.

If your looking for a kevlar riding pant, you should check out Motorport kevlar pants and jackets.

Scott
  7. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing Motoport for a few years and they are top quality gear made to fit any size. The only downside in my opinion is that they have removable rain liners. After a few years getting caught in the rain and having to look for a place to stop and put liners in...I'm now on the hunt for a set of gear with gortex and plenty of zip vents...like Klim or Mosko.
  8. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Why not simply use some water proof over pants ?

I use the Marmot precip full side zip waterproof / breathable pant ... side zip makes fast and easy on and off...packs very small and light when not in use

Scott
    phreakingeek likes this.
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    In 40+ years of riding I've tried just about everything.

What I prefer is a waterproof outer layer, that allows for venting.

My long-range gear is a Klim Apex jacket and Badlands pants. Sidi boots, variety of gloves.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  10. Orig Sleuth

Orig Sleuth n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, currently I ride an RT, but I am looking at the GSA (Honest gov)

Belgium is not vastly different in climate to the UK, and I have found My Klim Badlands to be excellent in keeping the rain out, as well as having shed loads of ventilation. When I am looking for clothing, I do not want to be bothered by a waterproof liner, and the Badlands has it (Gortex Pro) on the Jacket itself.

Criticisms I have are: That it does not have a storm collar and that it is a cool (cold) jacket in winter. Other than that I have ridden in pretty bad weather and it has kept me dry.

For trousers, I am in the market for a replacement set, but that is more or less on hold due to replacing the bike.
  11. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Havent had much luck with staying dry using most over pants/jacket raingear. But, I'll give it a shot and see if this will work out better.

12. Orig Sleuth

Orig Sleuth n00b

Oddometer:
    My BMW Streetguard trousers are 8 years old and are no longer waterproof. As a temporary measure, I use a Revit over trousers to good effect. However, it is a right royal pain in the neck when putting them on, especially at the roadside.

Given the choice, I will go with the single-layer waterproofs.

Best regards
    Sleuth
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.
  13. AndyCL

AndyCL n00b

Oddometer:
    Thoughts... For the daily half hour commute a single piece jacket/pant i.e. waterproof Alpinestars gear I have with integrated padding etc works well. The times it really doesnt is for extended hot weather use or really wet weather. It is waterproof 'enough' for half an hour, warm/cool 'enough' for half an hour etc. but over the course of a full day/weekend/week or more of use it's too much of a one-trick-pony to be comfortable hence finding myself looking at the options. Although the klim gear seems awesome (if it fits), I seem to be seeing that the layered option will always be better, the only downside is 'suiting up' for a short journey where getting all dressed up for a full day out of course wouldn't be a problem, and then to be able to zip open or remove the outer rain/cold layer seems a small job? Apart from convenience of the single item top and bottom, are there any other upsides?
    Thanks for the replies already, really interesting!
  14. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Klim Latitude is a vented Gore-Tex shell with good abrasion resistance. It’s still suitable for layering as it has no thermal layer built in. It comes with D3O armour built in, but if you strip it out it becomes really obvious just how much of a shell the jacket really is. Once the D3O is removed I can wear a compression suit underneath if I want.

I have the Carlsbad, which is the off-road biased version of the Latitude. What I like about the suit is that having the wind/rain/abrasion/impact resistance built into one piece of gear means I only need to put on one suit, which is great for day to day riding.

What I dislike is that if I don’t need wind/rain/abrasion resistance and it’s too fucking hot, I can’t remove the jacket without removing my impact resistance. Not a big deal on-road since the suit ventilates well at speed, but off road and with no speed to drive air into the suit I’ve wound up riding around with no protection because I couldn’t keep the suit on without overheating.

This can be compensated for by stripping the D3O out and wearing Mx gear underneath, which is great off-road, but kind of a pain in the ass for daily commuting, so it pays to know what you’ll be doing and dressing appropriately.

The Klim stuff fits weird until you understand the reason behind it. They leave room to wear separate protection underneath. This is the most obvious with the pants, since they’re sized to fit knee pads/braces and motocross boots while having enough length to cover your boot in the seated position. So, if you’re standing in the pants and a pair of sneakers they seem like clown pants until you have all that other kit on.

That said, the pant sizing is seriously messed up. I recommend looking at their sizing chart and going with that since the pants are vanity sized. Also, I’m 5’8” and find the pants a touch long, but they don’t make them in short so there’s not much I can do about it.
  15. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the layer approach for singletrack, dualsport, and shorter trips. For longer touring type rides I prefer a single jacket and pants, for convenience and to reduce luggage.
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.
  16. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Klim Badlands Pro. Merino or other sweat-wicking base layers essential in all weather. Agree under 8 deg C need either down vest to stop heat being sucked from torso, or lightweight (Goretex) shell (with integral hood that goes inside helmet) over to create layer of air to stop wind chill. Goretex over Klim Badlands Pro seems excessive, but for me it works to keep my (scrawny) body warm in snow/hail/freezing wind. When warmer, remove shell. If really warm, open vents & unzip jacket at collar.
  17. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klim shortened my Latitude Pants 3" when I ordered them for a reasonable fee. If you go this route make certain you specify where the knee armor pocket needs to be relative to the waistband. The length was shortened below the knee, seams all taped and sealed properly. For me, the knee armor is just high enough to work when in the highest position. Contact Alex at https://blackhillsmoto.com/contact-us/ for help and a good deal too.
    Some_Dude likes this.
  18. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll need more than shortening. I originally bought a 36 (because I measure 36 in the waist) and they fit like a tent. I exchanged them for a 34 without realizing 34 was for dudes with a 42-43 inch middle. I initially thought they fit weird because was because I was short, but even with the waist cinched up as tight as it’ll go I still need to zip the pants to the jacket to hold them in place.

After finding out Klim had a sizing chart I realize I should probably be in size 30s. It’s why I recommend referring to the size chart and not buying based off your jeans.
  19. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard to go wrong with the Klim suit. I have one and it is the best suit I have owned to date. Keep in mind that it is VERY warm and doesn't breathe AT ALL because of the Goretex suit. If you aren't moving fast, it is very warm. On cold days, you really don't need much loft under them to stay warm.
  20. 401K Gone

401K Gone n00b

Oddometer: