1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Basecamp 4.4.6 for Mac

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by docgonzo, Feb 20, 2015.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Any of you geeks have knowledge of this latest version? It isn't as intuitive as I'd like, and I can't seem to save a route for sharing with a friend. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the nature of your problem without further clarification.

4.4.6 works pretty much like prior versions in that any route you create is stored inside Basecamp automatically unless you explicitly delete it. To give a route to a friend, you need to export it.

Under the file menu you will find Export as a menu item; highlight your route in the list at the left of the app, then export the route. You can use 'Export Selected User Data' or 'Export "name of your list containing the route" …'

I usually export things in gpx format but there are a couple of other choices too.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the route creation. I'm using the route tool, and the route looks good on the screen. But I'm not seeing it on the left side list of elements. Each section is there, but I don't see the complete route.
  4. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you mention sections, it sounds as though your route is in fact divided. You can join sections by highlighting them in the list and right clicking for a context menu from which you choose "Join the Selected Routes". You are then offered the choice to keep or delete the individual sections.
  5. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    On the Mac, seems I can select all, but still not getting a "Join the Selected Routes". Instead, if I take the route selector tool and go from the start to the finish, I can then "massage" each section selectively.

Do you use the "motorcycle" route or "dirt-bike" route tool?

Sorry to be such a bother.
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started off by using Basecamp for Mac but my second post was referring to Basecamp for Windows (I use both) as I had forgotten you prefaced your query with Basecamp on a Mac!

Anyhoo, using the route tool from the toolbar "Creation Tools" and clicking to set points on a route, I only get a continuos route generated on any routable map, using any activity profile (FYI am currently using City Navigator NTU 2015.3 and activity "Motorcycle" but I get the same result with "Dirtbike")

Are you using a routable map or a topo map that can't be routed?

BTW on a Mac, you can't join route sections as I described above, that's on the Windows version. You could however convert to tracks, join those and convert back to a route all inside Basecamp - I guess, assuming your map is routable.

Tracks can be converted to routes using free third party tools if need be.
  7. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    routable map from the wife's Nuvi.

Thanks! I'll try converting the segments of routes to tracks to join them on the Mac. We'll see what happens. Would think by now they could write more user friendly software for the Mac! Wishful thinking!
  8. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian,
    Thanks for this - useful to know!
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Neat! I'll try that as well. Fun playing with this software, though I wish it were more intuitive. When I get done, and have actually created a route, will I then be a junior geek? :rofl
  10. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    Since we're talking about Basecamp, thought I'd ask my question. The Garmin site and forum were unable to search for an answer.
    Is there any way to remove all the crap on the map? "Crap" is things like "Jim-Bob's Fuel" and "Aunt Betty's Salon" and "Dinosaur Exhibit" museums, other people's points of "interest" etc.
    I just want to see a map, not all the other crap.
    I've scanned all the menus in basecamp. Can't find anything that shows a clean interface: roads, towns and not much else. I'd be happy if it showed the crap I'm interested in; I don't want them deciding what I find interesting.

Make sense?
    Any suggestions?
    many thanks.

YAK
  11. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the Mac, you can do this through Preferences>Display >Hide Map Features - where you can select what gets shown.

In Windows, it's Edit>Options>Activity Profile>General>Map Display Features
  12. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have a Basecamp problem that I've never experienced before and I'm wondering if anyone else might know what's going on.

What's happening is that each time I import a set of tracks, (.GPX file), it wipes out the last-imported tracks. I've used Basecamp for several years now, and while no expert, I have never seen this before and have imported lots of tracks in the past.

I discovered it recently, and have tried repeatedly to re-import the three GPX files that are giving me trouble. I have tried the following sequences of actions:

import file 1, then file 2. File 1 disappears.

import file 1 again, file 2 disappears.

Put file 1 in a folder, import file 2. File 1 disappears, leaving the now empty folder.

quit basecamp, get the message "saving your data. Re-start, observe file 2 is still there. Import file 1. File 2 disappears.

Click "my collection" to select it. Re-import file 2. File 1 disappears.

Restart basecamp, import file 3. File 2 disappears.

No matter what I've tried, I can only get one import to stick, and the new import always wipes out the previous one. These are normal files, from trusted sources. I have checked to see if there were any updates for Basecamp, I am up to date. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.
  13. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    Hey
    I missed it! Thanks: just what I wanted to know. Clean maps! Thank you.:clap
  14. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does this - overwrites what was there before, UNLESS you first highlight the list where you want the files stored in Basecamp, before importing. Then it plays nice.
  15. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris . . . but: Note that one of my steps above was to try highlighting "My collection" and then importing. That did not help. And why on earth would it delete the last imported file if I'd moved that file to a folder?

I'm hoping you really are correct and can show me what I'm doing wrong, but I've been importing files for years and never had this trouble. The basic "import file" function just placed the file in "My Collection" and then I might re-name it or put it into a folder, but AFAIK I've never had them over-written in the past. This is the same process I am doing now, but I'm getting a different result.

When I get home I will try making a folder, highlighting it and then importing the file.

Frankly, I don't think an application should EVER just delete files unless you have expressly requested that action.
  16. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have asked if you are using the latest BC version 4.4.6 which in my case has stopped this behaviour. Previously I had the same issue as you describe (I forget with which version number). I should have asked this question first instead of simply assuming you were using the problematic version.

My workaround was to "Duplicate" NOT "Copy" the just-imported file, rename it and place that where I wanted it. It then stayed there untouched whatever I imported later.
  17. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Chris, I am using 4.2.4. When I check for updates there are none, I am told I am using the most up to date version . . . but I am running Mavericks. Our computer tech at work has continued to advise us not to jump to Yosemite, so I haven't done it at home either. I am assuming version 4.4.6 might require Yosemite.

The duplication idea did not work. "Duplicate user data" is not available for duplicating a whole .GDB or GPX file; I have to select the individual tracks & waypoints within that file in order for the duplicate command to become functional. If I do that, I get everything duplicated with the digits "001" appended, which is essentially a new file name. I tried moving all the duplicates into a folder without further renaming them, but then the next import wiped them all out, same as before. I will not be manually re-naming all these items for several reasons. This particular GDB has 65 items to duplicate and rename, just for starters. That's nuts.

Maybe I will have to upgrade to Yosemite to solve this. Since you say that you've experienced this problem, and V4.4.6 fixes the bug, I guess I'm going to have to chance it.
  18. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Strange. I updated to Yosemite (36 hour process!) and when I "check for updates" in Base camp, v.4.2.4 is still the latest version, or so I am told.

The problem of the last file imported being deleted by the next import continues.

Chris, how did you get a version 4.4.6?
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Dear people:

I've now gotten version 4.4.6 and am STILL having the same problem, where each time I import an item it wipes out the last item I imported. It still happens if I move the first imported item into a folder or re-name it . It still happens if I highlight a folder to import to that is a different location from where the first imported file resides.

Any other ideas about what could possibly be wrong and how to fix it?

I am running Basecamp 4.4.6 on Yosemite 10.10.2