1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Basecamp 4.4.6 for Mac

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by docgonzo, Feb 20, 2015.

1. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please try "Duplicate" (not "Copy") then rename and move the duplicated item elsewhere. It should survive any fresh import.

If this doesn't work, try creating a new database, it's possible yours has become corrupted.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first question is, why did it take 36hrs to update to Yosemite? Mine took less than an hour.

My next question is, have you reported this condition on the Mac-BaseCamp Garmin Forum?
  3. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    The "Duplicate" command in the "edit" drop-down menu is grayed out. I have tried selecting various different items under "My collection", folders and gdb or gpx track files, and can't get that "Duplicate" command to become a live option.
  4. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    I started here in ADV, but since this is becoming a really stubborn problem, yes, I'll go report it on the Garmin forum and see what help I get there. If I get an answer that works I'll post it here.
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Given your condition above, I would delete my installation of BaseCamp completely by doing the following:
    1. If you are using the Default Database location, go to user\Library\Application Support\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database\4.4 and copy the 4.4 folder to a safe location (your Desktop).
    2. Rename the 4.4 folder on your desktop to something.library this is going to be your new BaseCamp database.
    3. Then, I would delete BaeCamp and all of it's files and cache files; also located in user\Library\
    4. Now, download a new version of 4.4.6 and install it. Don't open it just yet.
    5. Open BaseCamp and go to Properties > Advanced > Choose Library... select the something.library on your Desktop.

Let us know how it goes if you try this.
  6. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks DRTBK, will read this over and perhaps try it tonight.

As for why my download and install of Yosemite took so long . . . my connection speed is nominally 1.6mb per sec; in reality it's often half that. When I did Mavericks it was even longer. I live in a place surrounded by National Forest and indian land, the pueblo wouldn't let the phone company run a fiber optic cable through their land (even along an existing county road right of way), so DSL service is provided to me through a radio link . . . I'm lucky to be connected at all.
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Bummer on the Net connection speed. I live rather remote as well. I've had 4G Cellular, Microwave, Satellite and now 5.4GHz Wireless @ 30MB. If you have Cellular Data options in your area, a good 4G/LTE connection would yield you 10x the speed you have now and we are starting to see bigger/unlimited data plans again.
  8. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Seriously, what is Garmin thinking? They sell millions of GPS units, and have the nerve to provide software for route creating that is basically worthless for the non-geek.

Macintosh computers, created by the genius Steve Jobs, are designed to be totally intuitive. You shouldn't need to stand on one leg, put three fingers in different places on the keyboard, and then make a wish.

I was optimistic when I saw the new version of basecamp for the Mac. Am totally disappointed!

Will someone P.M. me when the software is worthy of a real computer? :D
  9. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    OK Chris, DRTBYK; thanks for your help. I got the answer off the Garmin Forum, and the answer is to re-name each imported file before importing the next. This was one of the things I'd tried early on, but apparently back before I updated to 4.4.6 and continued to have the problem. I guess I lost track of which fixes I'd tried in each version.

I have to say, this is the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. As I said earlier, it is incomprehensible to me why any program would be set up to delete imported files by default. If Basecamp developers think this is smart or necessary, they should do something like flag the import as "temporary until re-named" so a user could know this. Basecamp is the only program I've ever encountered that requires re-namig of imported files though, and I can's see why.

Not only is this a counter-intuitive extra step, but it opens the door to a situation where, on a group ride where the ride organizer has sent out tracks for all riders to use, all the Basecamp riders will have had to re-name the tracks in order to save them and unless we've all been diligent abut reverting to the original name after doing the re-name to make the import stick, we will all have the same tracks but not the same names and communicating about what track we are supposed to be using at a given time will become a nightmare.

WTF were the Basecamp developers thinking? Where is the necessary or desirable utility in this?

(Also, in related bugginess: the import command still says it will import to folder "X" if that folder is highlighted, or folder "Y" if it's Y that's highlighted, but no matter what, it puts the imported file in "My Collection", not the specified folder)
  10. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got things working.

I dislike many things about Basecamp but it remains a very useful program. One thing that confuses people unused to it is the fact that it is a database. Everything you see in the lists and folders on the left are simply pointers to an entity in the database. This is why for example, if you delete something from a list, it remains in the root folder (the one with the library name) which are the actual entities. Thus deleting at the root level removes all pointers to that entity in any file or folder.

I do agree, that Garmin software is hugely irritating just as their devices can be. I think they try to do far too much - who really needs to choose among thousands of different devices many of which are so similar that you need a line by line comparison of features to try and see where the differences lie?

I think they would do better to concentrate on handful of things and make them really very good.
  11. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Seriously, how does Garmin get away with this? The software developers are definitely old school. They would last about 5 minutes at Apple, Google or any APP developer's shop.

The transparent interface, where users can "use' without being computer nerds, is what people expect these days. Load an APP, and use it intuitively, or the APP goes by-by.

Even the DOS users of the past, the IBM PC faithful, have had enough with shitty windows interfaces. The computer should be a tool, not a torture device. I live in Edison, NJ, where many of my patients are IT computer nerds. They use I-phones for their personal use, and I-pads at home.

If I want to create a route on my computer, I should be able to just pick the start, then go to every intersection I want and connect the dots. Then I should be able to save it via a pull down menu, and then send the file via e-mail or text. And there should be a universal format that I don't have to remember.

Maybe Apple or Google will buy Garmin and straighten out the mess. We can only hope!
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the joys of BaseCamp. I keep up with it's development [sic] but I don't really use it any longer. I do all of my Trip Planning in Furkot.com.
  13. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    I've had no beefs with Basecamp until this one, but this was a real hassle. Otherwise I've been OK with it, probably using it in a pretty limited way compared to it's capabilities. I just don't have the time to learn.

I think I will figure out how to pull my data out of it and archive it separately just in case it mutates again in some way that I don't like and I want to escape to some other program.

For now though, I'll just go back to riding.
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Is Furkot Mac compatible? What format does it save the routes in for sharing?
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Furkot.com is an online Trip Planning application. It will work in most browsers. The current Export options include;

[​IMG]

And you can append additional points in your Route/s by using the "Max Points..." option. When you enter a number, Furkot will append along your route additional points not to exceed this number.