1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Basecamp and routes question........

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Mr. Cob, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I am using a Mac and Garmin Basecamp. I understand that if want one of my stored routes to display on Basecamp that all I have to do is double click it, what I can't figure out is once it is displayed on the Basecamp map HOW do I get it NOT to be displayed. I have a lot of stored routes and its getting hard for me to use the map as it is covered with routes that I have worked on and displayed. I know this is going to be so simple I'll feel like an idiot for asking but then again this smilie is named after me. :cob
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave,

There are a lot of "depends" in reply to your question. If you are working in the My Collection folder only - well, you shouldn't be.

If you have created "Lists" to organize your data (Routes/Tracks/Waypoints/Photo's/BirdsEye Imagery), all of the data in a List will be shown on the map - un-highlighted. Selecting data will highlight it on the map, as you've discovered, where you can edit it.

If you want to work with no or limited data showing on the map, create a new List and copy the data you want to work with to that List. As long as you "COPY" data, all changes will be reflected in the original data. If you "DUPLICATE" data it will be disconnected from the original and the original will not reflect any changes.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    This is not a silly question - BaseCamp is not the easiest program to use, especially if you're used to using MapSource.

What you need to do is select File/New List or New Smart List, or New List Folder depending on what you want to do. There are Help files which describe the differences, but suffice it to say that going into one of those folders once you've created one will hide the rest of the routes/tracks and waypoints unless you choose to add them to the folder.

I am NOT a BaseCamp Power User. But that much I do know. :lol3
  4. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Dan,

Sadly, I am more confused now then ever, I know nothing of making lists. I'll have to mess around with this some more. I guess I am just to old a dog to learn some of these new tricks, doesn't ANYONE make a manual that a person can read for anything, anymore. :cry
  5. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Emmbeedee,

Alas I had somewhat of an understanding with Mapsource back when I struggled with a pc. Then in a rare flash of enlightenment I bought a Mac and my fight with computers turned a page and I actually began to enjoy using one. NOW, I am involved in a war of trying to forget what I had learned and learn what I have yet to master, its a bitch getting to be a un-tech savvy "Cob".
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Dave,

BaseCamp really isn't that difficult. The key is to, as you said, forget about MapSource. :evil

In BaseCamp, all of your data is stored in a single database called "My Collection". Your data can be "organized" in several ways (like Emmbeedee said above):
    • In List Folders,
    • In Lists,
    • and, in Smart Lists.

The key is to remember that your original data is ALWAYS located in My Collection. When you create a List, it is just a way of organizing how you VIEW the data in My Collection. A List Folder is just a way to organize Lists. Don't mess with Smart Lists for now. :cob

Just start out by creating some List Folders (you can have Folders within Folders) and a few Lists.

To get a feel for how making changes works, Make a List and copy a Route into it from My Collection. Arrange the view of your data so you can see the Route you're working with in both the new List and in My Collection. Now make a change to the name of the Route the copy you created. Notice that the Name of the Route changed in My Collection.

Cheers,
  7. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Dan,

Thanks for the tips, I'll use this information and see what I can come up with. :clap
  8. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also learning Basecamp for Mac. So far so good. I figured out how to make tracks using the track tool and copy it to a new list in 'my collection'. I did a bunch of them, plus I have Cannonshot's CDR tracks and copied them to a new list as well. I named each of them so I can recognize them easier.

When I want to look at a route or set of tracks, I simply highlight the name of the list in 'my collection', and that particular data is all that shows up on my map.

Another thing I learned is that when I want to transfer the route from Basecamp to my GPS, I have to remember to send the appropriate maps as well. It's just one click prompted during the transfer process, but if I don't click it I may not have the right maps in my GPS. I use a 60csx and apparently it doesn't have enough storage to have the continent.

PS: I'm actually not sure what a Folder or Smart Folder is. I think it is a place to store your lists, because a folder won't take tracks or routes directly...At least that's what I recall from the help instructions at the top right of the Basecamp screen.
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    List Folders are a way to organize your List's. You can have any number of List's in a List Folder, so you don't have to have large lists with all of your data for a given activity. Example Folder's: 2011 Rides or Montana Off-road Rides, etc.

Smart Lists are a way to filter your information so that you can view a "set" of your data without having to manually copy a bunch of data into a new List. To use Smart List's effectively, BaseCamp expects you to have some knowledge of Boolean Math operations since all of the "filters" are "AND" operations. Hopefully Smart Lists will get smarter over time and allow for other Boolean operations like "OR", etc. It would be even more useful if Smart Lists supported filtering on Folder Names.

Cheers,
  10. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Dan,

What you have just written in this post flew so far over my head it makes me feel like I have been living under a whale turd for the last 63 years. YES, my computer skills or should I say lack of same really is that bad. :cry
  11. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Smart Lists aren't for everyone. . .yet. BaseCamp will get better. For now, Backup your BaseCamp data regularly and just play around with it. Try things. You can't hurt anything and can always Delete things you don't want to keep. Smart List are just a "view" of data you already have. By "view" I mean that you can create a List of just the Waypoints in your Collection or in any List. Or, you could create a Smart List of all of the Routes in your Collection, etc. You're just filtering that view to see your data the way you want to.

By the way, at 62, I often feel the same way!

Cheers,
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Oh, almost forgot the most valuable use for Smart List's. BaseCamp is a database and everything you create is in My Collection even if you created it in a List initially. Sometimes you're experimenting with new routes and you've created waypoints that you may not want to keep around forever. Maybe you don't even want to keep the Routes once you're done "playing". But, even when you delete the List with it's contents, you may have left that data in My Collection.

A quick way to find "new" data is to create a Smart List.

Example:

You've created a bunch of Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks today in a List or several List's in some Folder. You're done playing and you decide you don't want to keep the data so you right click on the Folder and select Delete (the Folder with that List and maybe others) and then you close BaseCamp. But wait, all of that data you created in that Folder is still in your My Collection. How do you find it now that you've closed BaseCamp and can't just "UNDO".

You create a Smart List under My Collection.

[​IMG]

The Smart List has from one to several criteria (Rules) you can apply.

[​IMG]

Add another criteria (Rules)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each time you select a Rule or criteria press the APPLY button and you will see the results in the List to the left.

[​IMG]

When you you're done adding Rules (filtering) select OK and you've got your list of data. To delete that data form My Collection select all of the data in the list (not the List) and then right click and choose "Delete from My Collection".

Done.

Cheers,
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice class dirtbike. I guess there are a lot more uses for a GPS than I know. In streetbike mode, I've only used it for planning on my laptop and routing on my bike. For trails, I've only used tracks for following the bread crumbs I've imported or created...Actually my first attempt at a tracks trail on Basecamp will be this February in AZ. I'm excited over the prospect! Not concerned as I've had great success riding imported tracks on Roadtrip for Mac. :D

Easy Peasy. Just ride into the trail area and the tracks will show up on your GPS map as you cross their path. After that you follow the bread crumbs. Fantastic!
  14. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    OK...so I am also new to BaseCamp and a long time user of Mapsource. I am on Windows and am trying to figure out how to organize my files. I see how you create new lists in My Collection, but I cannot find anywhere a place as you stated before to create a 'New List Folder' to further organize lists. Is there a difference in the Mac vs. Windows versions of BaseCamp or am I just not seeing where it is located? Only option I have under File is to 'create a new list in library' (no folder option).

Thanks!
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You're right. This is different in Windows and Macs. I just checked my Win7 machine and even with version 3.2.2 which I think is the latest, that's the only option you get.
  16. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I'm still not seeing why BaseCamp is supposed to be better than Mapsource. I suppose the folder option could be added in a future update.

Thanks for the reply! :thumb
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    In my opinion it's not better than MapSource. I will get beat up for saying that I suppose but I find it much more difficult to use and far less intuitive.
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    According to the Dev Team, the next release of BaseCamp-Windows, v3.3, will have List Folders.

For you NMTrailboss, BaseCamp may not be "better" than MapSource. So you can continue to use it as long as the system supports it: Computer, Maps, GPS. Although I do think there are some features that are handy that just aren't available in MapSource: Tracks-to-Route, Route-to-Track, BirdsEye Imagery, Photo Geotagging on the map, Data Management.

Cheers,
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It's only better if you have a gps which takes advantage of the BaseCamp features. The biggest thing I like about BC is that it allows you to access and use the maps on your compatible gps as if they were installed on the computer.
  20. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Like many of us, I suppose you have been using MapSource for quite some time. When you first started using MapSource, did you find it intuitive and easy to use? I sure didn't and I wrote CAD/CAM code when I was a youngling.

BaseCamp is just a different application. Yes, it does the same things as MapSource: create's Waypoints, Routes, Tracks over map products.

I think you will find that BaseCamp's Tool Methods will be moving closer to what you have been use to in MapSource as new releases come our way.

Cheers,