1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Basecamp and routes question........

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Mr. Cob, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old Russan saying at school of engineering: Better is the enemy of Good!

Do you know if Mapsource will NOT comunicate with any new units to transfer Tracks & Waypoints or .gpx file if that is how it is done?

None on these features are of any use to me and I question Data Management but until I actually learn it in Base Camp, I will reserve judgement.

I think I need to buy a Montana just to follow the conversation. I neeed some rational for that much money for something I can't see I need.
  2. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eighteen months ago our household began a total switch-over from PC to Mac. I had been using Mapsource on PC since I bought my first GPS in 2005. I did not initially find Mapsource intuitive in the least, but after using it for a while, it was a relative breeze (guess you can learn anything if you do it long enough). After switching from PC to Mac, Basecamp was really my only choice. Like many, I was a bit annoyed at having to learn yet another application, but I will now readily admit that Basecamp (at least the Mac version) is better than Mapsource. The only thing that still puzzles me is the Search function. You'd think something seemingly that simple would be more intuitive, but I don't find it so. For those moving to Basecamp, I'd simply say give it some time; the more you play with it the easier it will become. Given that Garmin, as I understand it, has put all its eggs in the Basecamp basket, do you really have a choice? Do it now, or do it later, but you will do it eventually.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    No new news here, currently, all of Garmin's USB (even some RS232) capable devices will communicate with MapSource for the Transfer or GDB and GPX data. Compatible maps for the current version of MapSource will also be transferred to units that support . So that is a current statement. That doesn't mean that Garmin will continue to support back-level maps and data types as time goes forward.

On the other point, you only need a Montana if you want to understand the Montana and it's features as you noted in a previous post. BaseCamp will work fine with most of the older Garmin GPS's. Caveat is GPS units that can't use NT compressed maps.

Cheers,
  4. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the imput DRTBYK. I agree that I haven't used BaseCamp enough to really have a comfortable feel for it yet. My first frustration was not being able to organize my files in folders, but if there may be an update in the near future to add the folders, then that problem would be solved. I realize that Mapsource is probably on its last leg which is why I downloaded BaseCamp initially and started playing with it...just to become familiar with it and its differences. For the most part it works similar and accomplishes the same tasks as stated above, just slightly different. I understand all the other differences you stated above but what are you referring to with the feature of 'Data Management' in BaseCamp that is not available in Mapsource?
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a big Mapsource user. I also use Delorme sometimes both because it has a routes to tracks conversion and because it makes much nicer map pictures. You can turn on and off what gets displayed which is nice for making pretty pictures.

The Delorme interface is the definition of "nonintuitive" for me.

I have stopped using it to create tracks from routes. It is about the same amount of work to hand draw the tracks in Mapsource as to ship files back and forth to Delorme. Plus their routable maps have a few more defects which makes for some really bad autorouting.
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Have you tried BaseCamp? It does Route to Track (two clicks) and Track to Route (two clicks). You can print Maps and show anything or everything.

Cheers,
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Let's say you have Waypoints that are used in several different List's with several different Routes/Tracks. You need to change some of those waypoints because of road closures and washouts (example - pick one that applies to you). In MapSource you must go find each file where each one of those waypoints are used to make the changes. In BaseCamp you would simply make the change to one waypoint and that change is reflected in all of it uses because this is a database and when you make a copy of an object (waypoint) you are just making a copy of the Waypoints name with a pointer back to the original waypoint data. If you have Duplicated an object (waypoint, etc.) then you have severed the links and you actually have a duplicate of the waypoint data so you can change it's name without reflection back to the original.

There are other Data Management features but let's leave that for another time. Got to run. . .

Cheers,
  8. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Thank you for explaining! Learning new things on these programs every day!! :deal
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

I am going to stick with Mapsource for the immediate future. I will only switch to Basecamp if I am forced to or if it has or comes up with some feature that I just can't do without.

I am just too lazy to learn a new product because it has a little bit better way of doing something I can already do. Even though it is tedious there are some advantages to manually drawing tracks like in areas where City Nav does not have roads or there are defects, i.e., missing segments in the roads.
  10. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I never used mapsource enough to learn it, I always used Delorme Topo because I was using a PN40.

So now am learning basecamp (for Montana).

Here is my Question (on Windows)

I have My Collection, with a list for each ride.
    in each ride I have a route, with several way points to force route to go where I want.

1) Now if I view one list, and look at the route, I need to change something.
    How can I add points to a route I already created? I know how to move points, but I want to be able to add new points. I can highlite the route, click on insert, but it don't seem to work as I would expect it to.

2) A road on the CNNA maps in basecamp dead ends, but in realty it really continues on and connects to another road.
    in Delorme I can add that missing section, and make it routable. How do I do this in Basecamp?
  11. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    In BaseCamp-Win, after you select the Insert Tool, move the cursor to an area of the Route you want to add a point. Click on the route between the two points you want to add one. The route will rubber-band when you click on it. Hold and drag to the point you want add. This is not the best way to add points if you want to be accurate (which you do). The other way to insert points, is to create and insert new waypoints, making sure they are placed on a road surface if "on-road-routing". Simple to insert new waypoints you've created. Open the route properties window and do a copy/paste in the route points area of the window. You can then move the new point to the proper sequence in the route using the up/down arrows on the right of the properties window.

I personally don't like this workflow and hopefully the Windows team will modify the Tool methods in the up coming v3.3 release. BaseCamp-Mac workflow is much more intuitive.

You can't add to the Garmin maps. You can not mix routing activities (on-the-road and Direct) in a single Route in BaseCamp like you could in MapSource. Use Tracks. If your waypoints are along the Track and you load them on to the Montana, the waypoints will be shown in the navigation list when you navigate (GO) the track. If you want alerts when you approach a waypoint use Proximity Alerts on your waypoints.

Cheers,
  12. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drtbkr, I asked this same question over in the Montana thread last week or so, but it got busy and nobody answered it.
  13. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    So, in Mapsource, once you made a route and opened up the Route properties window, there was a tab for directions. In this tab, there was a table which for every line of directions gave you Leg Time, Total Time, Distance travelled, etc...

In BC for windows, when I open up the Route Properties, it gives directions, but only gives the distance and time for each leg. I really need the total time and total distance travelled at each waypoint within the route. Before I write Garmin with this suggestion, is there something I am missing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Eric
  14. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Yes, in BaseCamp for Windows that information is not provided. The BaseCamp-Win team have already heard this request and have indicated that "it is on the list". There are a number of changes/additions customers are hoping for in v3.3 for Windows - and a few for BC-Mac as well.:D

Cheers,
  15. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan. I just found the Route Playback feature which is an extremely crude way to get total distance and total time at a given point, but it would be extremely painful having to use that on a regular basis.
  16. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    See also http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749224&goto=newpost for a link to the latest beta version. Not the link in the first post, but the updated link in one of the last posts.

I am slowly beginning to figure BaseCamp out. Certainly not slower than it took to make MapSource usefull to me. There is hope! As I am getting into it I am starting to see some of the benefits.

KP