Basecamp install problems !@#$%^&

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by migilito, Oct 4, 2018.

1. migilito

migilito Perpetual NooB

Oddometer:
    I just got a new laptop w Windows 10 64bit. I installed Garmin Express and it's on my homepage. However, I'm having no luck installing Basecamp. It simply will not install. It ends up in my download file, but, when I click it, it prompts me to uninstall. Ideas?
  2. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an option to install a 32bit or 64bit version of BC?

Are you running a 3rd party anti virus or only the native Windows Defender? Running something like Avast as well as the native anti virus/anti malware program will always cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that's normal, the new laptop is clairvoyant, just trying to tell you about what's coming next from Basecamp
    worwig likes this.
  4. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    Just installed BC 4.7.0 (2D version) on my W10 64bit Surface. I believe it is a 32bit app, but that doesn't matter. Works great.
    FormerOilhead likes this.
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Mike, is the laptop running Windows 10 S by any chance? Their new secure version that only allows installers gotten from the Microsoft Store to run? My Surface came that way and I had to turn it off (becomes normal W10 Home).
    I got a different message though: something about cannot install, go to Store and change something or other.

Go to settings and check if there are any updates that are waiting to install.

- Marty
  7. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    dont isntall 4.7 if you want to use anything other than garmin maps or want to be able to use google earth You can get 4.6.2 and read about it here.
  8. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I have 4.7 and just downloaded some maps of Peru from OSM. No trouble using them on BaseCamp.
    Google Earth, I can bring that up side by side with BaseCamp on my computer screen if I need to. No big deal.

I like BaseCamp: it has it's idiosyncrasies but seems perfectly workable. You do have to develop a work flow to be efficient with it, but I did and I don't mind.

.................shu
  9. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    but have you tried sending those osm maps to your device vis basecamp.That is where 4.7 may disapoint
  10. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    No I haven't. I'll give it a try. Thanks......shu
  11. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Well, crap. The map is fine on the computer, but sending it to the device I got a message: can't unlock maps and it went downhill from there.

It looks like a base map made it to device, but that is all.

?So....I need to uninstall all Garmin Basecamp programs, and reinstall BaseCamp 462.exe from Perry's site? Will I lose data? other maps? Any advice?

Thanks..........shu
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't lose anything from the uninstall if maps and data are in the default locations. If you selected other locations the files will be there but the reinstalled BaseCamp may not see them.

Routes may vanish, but if they are still in your GPS, when you resync, they'll reappear.
  13. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Okay then, instructions for downgrading BaseCamp for others like me (semi computer literate).

I downgraded to BaseCamp 4.6.2 following these instructions, and it worked, but after opening up BaseCamp to use it, none of my Collection (User Data routes, tracks and waypoints.) was found.

from...... https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/
    To find the data base use these instructions:

Anyway, it all works now.

I re sent my PERU maps to the SD card in my GPS, it complained about not being able to unlock them, but I clicked past that message and they loaded fine. I went into the GPS and looked at the maps and they work.

Thanks for the info all..............shu
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    now basecamp will keep asling you to update but you know what(not) to do!This may be the end of my affair with garmin devices which i love for their solid powered mounts and readable screens.I persevere because of the ability to use open maps.Once that relationship ends i am out
  15. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree.

I would be happy to buy good maps from Garmin, but a lot of the places I've been (Tajikistan, Ecuador, Mexico for example) the OSM maps are much better. (In fact, the Garmin maps are not much better than the base map.)

..............shu