BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ChuckieSmith

ChuckieSmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried the same and got the same results you got. I then went to newEnglandriders.org website then the gps link in the left column and was able to access the tutorial. I hope that all makes sense.
    cwroady likes this.
  2. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I updated the link in the original post so it should be good now. Thanks for pointing it out.
    cwroady likes this.
  3. ChuckieSmith

ChuckieSmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  4. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this tutorial from 2015 still relevant to the 2017 program?

Any other good tutorials for the current incarnation of the program anyone can recommend?

Will my previous knowledge and use of Mapsource be a plus or a hindrance in learning and using Basecamp?

Thanks
  5. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's still current, there have been no significant changes to the program. In fact there have been no updates to BC in well over a year.

There are quite a few videos on the web covering various BC functions but none are as comprehensive as this, IMO.

I personally used MS for years before switching over to BC, and found I did have to unlearn a few things but it was really not that much, and that was without this tutorial.

The biggest difference, and I think the most important thing to understand, when learning BC is the database nature of your information.
    kwthom likes this.
  6. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone who used basecamp for years on Mac, and just had to switch back to Mapsource on an old XP laptop to use a new-to-me 276C, thats the bit that is the hardest to unlearn. I actually much prefer BC.

(I suppose I could run an old version of BC on the laptop, but its slow, and even Mapsource struggles a bit.)
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper

Oddometer:
    i have the same map version installed on my computer and on my device.

when i used the map installed on my computer it doesn't show topo shading
    [​IMG]

when i switch to using the map from the device it shows shading
    [​IMG]

how do i get topo shading to show from the map on the computer ? i tried reinstalling the map on the computer but that didn't work.
    thanks.
  8. Didediedide

Didediedide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How often does Basecamp update the OSM map, I believe the latest version is 22Dec 2017, would this be correct and is it normally updated more frequently
  9. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp does not update any maps.
  10. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the Menu under Maps, you can select the map that is being used. Mine is 2019.1, so I would guess that is pretty much updated.

When you download Garmin Map updates, be sure to select the option to install to device AND computer.
  11. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just thought I'd add, what a ridiculous naming scheme Garmin has that we are in January, 2018 and these idiot think they are special by releasing version 2019.1.
  12. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He is referring to OSM maps not Garmin Maps. This is an OSM issue not a BaseCamp or Garmin issue.
  13. Didediedide

Didediedide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'Day All, Sorry I'm not real computer literate and haven't explained my self very well. I'm only just starting to learn Basecamp and OsmAnd.
    Thru advice on this site I purchased a Kyocera Pro phone and installed OsmAnd .
    I have also been learning to make additions to OSM maps.
    What I'm now trying to achieve is getting the same version OSM map on my laptop on Basecamp and the same version OSM map on the phone
    At present after downloading the latest up date from OsmAnd maps to my phone the map is different to the map which I have just downloaded to Basecamp via Garmin.openstreetmap.nl on my laptop.
    I hope you can make sense of all that, so I can plan a route on Basecamp and the same route appears on OsmAnd
  14. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The issue you are having is an OSM issue. They need to update the Garmin version of the map and they do not update all versions on the same schedule. Once they have updated the map and you have downloaded it to your computer you will be able to select it in BaseCamp using the pull down menu.

Since this is not a BaseCamp issue and has nothing to do with the BaseCamp Turorial I suggest that if you need further info you start a separate thread - you will likely get much more response than in this one.
  15. Didediedide

Didediedide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mate , a lot of learning for an old pensioner
    Regards Paul
  16. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the tutorials, after two years I will finally be able to use my gps to full potential.

During the tutorial, you shared those photo points to help us build. Is there any sources online that have POI for each state that I could import to basecamp.
    For instance, if somebody had a bunch of campsites that could be put in a folder etc. would be great to help build a trip.
  17. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of sources for custom POI files. Probably the most comprehensive is POI Factory. They have more POI files than you could ever desire and a ton of information on how to create and use them.
    http://www.poi-factory.com/

The New England Rider website has a ton of information on riding in the northeast.
  18. longtrip68

longtrip68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had this issue too. Any ideas?
  19. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's no wonder because Basecamp is dead. Garmin stopped developing the program in 2016. In a month or so, you can't use Garmin's cloud services any longer to backup your stuff.

I can't even make a backup on MacOS any longer. I get errors all the time. It is just a matter of time before the program will stop working all together as your Operating Systems are being updated.

It's a pity because I really like Basecamp. Sure, there are a million online routing tools but they are no good when I'm travelling and I have bad cell reception or bad wifi. I haven't found a simple to use alternative yet.
    Magile likes this.
  20. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe now they'll stop requiring having it as a pre-condition to updating my maps. :eek7

It would be nice to free up some extra space on my computer for applications I actually use. :-)