BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Jugghead

Jugghead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a big fan of BaseCamp, too, and this is news to me that it is no longer being supported. Bummer. To whomever is having MacOS problems: Are you running better than 10.10.5? Yosemite? I have no problems other than it being slooooowwww....
    That said, it's just one more reason not to jump on the "technological progress" bandwagon. Pick one computer your family owns, maybe the oldest one...and stop updating your hardware and software. Keep an old computer around, running an outdated OS, that still has an optical drive to read and write CDs, DVDs etc. It may serve you well later. Not to mention this is the only way to read the service manual for my Bavarian Mechanical Wonder.
  2. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good advice. After Windows 8 came out, I started buying reconditioned enterprise computers with Windows 7 installed for my business. I saved a lot of time, effort, and productivity that was being wasted trying to find new ways and programs to duplicate work that was already being accomplished effectively. Windows 7 seems to run anything.

As an aside, I also have some computers running Linux. I never tried installing Mapsource or Basecamp on Linux.

I wonder, has anyone here have any success with that? Or with Tyre on Linux for that matter?
    Motorius likes this.
  3. tomcat125

tomcat125 Lazy Bum

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 macbook pro that the hard drive became corrupt and wouldn't boot. Long story short, I lost a lot of programs and info. Some stuff was backed up and some wasn't. I had to wipe the hard-drive and re-install mac osx. I updated to the latest OS apple will allow, which is 10.9.5, and now I can't download basecamp. It now requires 10.10 or later. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there maybe a site with older versions of basecamp available for download? Or does anyone know of an alternate application to load tracks to a Montana600?

edit: I think I found a site that will be helpful. It has older versions of basecamp available to download. Will report back if it works.

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/macintosh/
  4. tomcat125

tomcat125 Lazy Bum

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to report that this indeed worked for me to install an older version of basecamp. After the install I opened it up and it automatically downloaded and installed the newest compatible version. Hope this helps someone else in the future. Now I'm just kicking myself for not backing up my tracks. Some I have but not anything from the last couple of years. :(
  5. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've truly searched and I'm sorry if it's something I just overlooked. Can someone tell me if it's now NOT possible to transfer your current NT map on a Garmin device to Basecamp? I've tried every avenue and it seems it's not possible or I'm just overlooking the obvious. I've tried several different ways, including Garmin Express. I have a MAC and just purchased a new unit. So for me, Basecamp is new. I have the pre-installed North America map and I've seen online that I'm supposed to be able to download it from unit to BC. However, a lot of the information is six plus months old. So is this a new thing? Does Garmin want me to buy a new map? Do I just have to have the unit connected every time I utilize BC? Any and all help is appreciated.
  6. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't "transfer" the map from the devise to your computer. What you can do is download the map from Garmin's servers to both the devise and your computer (or either one only). If your map is current you may need to wait for a map update.
  7. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    I used transfer as a misnomer, I suppose. When I go into Garmin Express, it will not recognize the North America map in Garmin Express. In turn, it gives me no option to download to the computer and Basecamp. It is a new unit and you may be right about waiting for a map update, but if that's the case it's a pain in the ass to not be able to have a detailed NA map on my computer requiring to connect the device each time.
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    In Express, click "Installation Options", then you have the option to install the map to "Computer and Device" or "Computer Only" if that map is already on the device.

[​IMG]

Basecamp isn't dead, they are releasing an updated program this month. Received this e-mail Apr 10th.

Updates Are Coming to HomePort and BaseCamp

Next month, Garmin is releasing new versions of HomePort™ and BaseCamp™that provide improved data security. At that time, Garmin will retire the Cloud Storage option. Be sure to export your user data from Garmin Cloud Storage before May 21, 2018. In addition, BaseCamp™allows you to configure your favorite cloud storage provider as a replacement so you can keep your favorite waypoints in the same place you store your other important files. Please note, data will no longer be available from Garmin Cloud Storage after May 21, 2018. Detailed instructions for exporting your user data can be found in our FAQ.
    Motorius likes this.
  9. scridercoach

Oddometer:

Thanks for the response, but through various sources I've verified that the first time you put a new device that is up to date, you won't get the option to download a map to your computer/basecamp. Apparently, I have to wait for a map update to access the option through Garmin Express.
    smbjm likes this.
  10. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="scridercoach, post: 35042802, member: 332380"]Thanks for the response, but through various sources I've verified that the first time you put a new device that is up to date, you won't get the option to download a map to your computer/basecamp. Apparently, I have to wait for a map update to access the option through Garmin Express.[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect. Start Garmin Express and select the connected device. The first screen will show "You're up to date" and show the software version and Map version (2019.11). Right below that is a link for Map Options. Clicking Map Options takes you to the next page that allow you to Reinstall Map, and below that Install to Computer. Give it a try...don't make me post a screen shot.
  11. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    member: 187713"]QUOTE="scridercoach, post: 35042802, member: 332380"]Thanks for the response, but through various sources I've verified that the first time you put a new device that is up to date, you won't get the option to download a map to your computer/basecamp. Apparently, I have to wait for a map update to access the option through Garmin Express.[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect. Start Garmin Express and select the connected device. The first screen will show "You're up to date" and show the software version and Map version (2019.11). Right below that is a link for Map Options. Clicking Map Options takes you to the next page that allow you to Reinstall Map, and below that Install to Computer. Give it a try...don't make me post a screen shot.[/QUOTE]

My device is my first, I have never had basecamp before and trust me, I've tried a lot of different ways.... and it does not give me that option. I believe because it is the first iteration on my computer. There is no link for map options. My screen shot is exactly what I get and only what I get.

No need for a "return" screen shot. Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 10.14.58 PM.png
  12. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for assuming. I use Garmin Express v 6.0.0 and pair with several devices, but am using a Zumo 590. This is what you "should" see:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Might be different with the 396 in that it can be updated via wifi w/o a computer.
  14. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It just seems odd that Express is reporting his device is up to date, but not even listing the version of the maps.
  15. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Well... As good coincidences go, Garmin Express decided to notify me of a map update. In turn, all the options you would think I should get finally showed up! So now I am downloading the NA map to both my device and BaseCamp. Problem solved, though it is weird that the first go around they don't let you download to BaseCamp. Oh well. at least I'm finally caught up and in time for my week-long trip that commences tomorrow.

Thanks to those of you who chimed in with advice.
    smbjm likes this.
  16. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to import or "drag & drop" routes or tracks into your "plan a trip" hub? Have alot of routes and tracks I would like to set to sertain days into a 3 week trip down trough europe
  17. Marzoom

Marzoom n00b

Oddometer:
    Select track and send to device.
  18. CPR4LIFE

CPR4LIFE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to make "don't alert" for shaping points the default in Basecamp? It's kind of frustrating to add 30 shaping points, then go back and right click on 15 or more of them individually to change to "don't alert". Thanks!
  19. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really. But first, you don't need to click on them individually to change them - highlight all you want to change by using normal Windows commands (control/click or shift/click) and do them all at once.

There is another way though - points placed precisely in an intersection will behave like shaping points in that they will not announce. This works with the newer Garmin GPSs using Tripplanner and older Garmin GPSs using RoutePlanner.
    scridercoach likes this.
  20. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to connect your device to Basecamp and use Basecamp to display the map and your location?