1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, Basecamp has never had a limit on the number of points in a route!

Your device may have a limit but that limit has nothing to do with Basecamp.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I abandoned BaseCamp long ago. Not one to give in to the dark side, with the new tutorials I am considering giving it another try.
    I have a couple of questions before I dive in (again)....

I currently have BC version 4.4.6 . Windows 7. Later BC updates required Microsoft Media Player which I removed long ago so I always had to revert back. Will the newer versions work without the Media Player or conversely, will the new tutorials still be relevant if I continue using my current version?

If I'm stuck using my current version of BC, it's DB is littered with the sorrowful remnants of my former defeats while trying to learn the program. Is there a way to clear out the existing DB in one swell foop so I can start with a clean slate?

(As an aside, I think wrapping my head around BC's database approach has been my biggest impediment. That and the fact that it took me two hours for it's search feature to find my home address back then. :-) )
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd backup what you have first, just in case. Then you can just highlight everything in "My Collection" (Ctrl-A) in the bottom window and hit delete. Might be easier to uninstall / re-install. That way you know you're starting with a known clean install and then go ahead and set it up as per the directions in the tutorial.

4.6.2 was the last version that was using cloud services and adventures. 4.7.0 did away with those but I have been running 4.7 for awhile and it works fine. No idea about needing Media Player or not.
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just start a new database. Edit>Options>General>+

When you are comfortable with BC, you can look over the old database and decide if anything can be salvaged.

I don't know what Basecamp would need Media Player for, but I think Googling "WIndows 7 media player download" would find ways to put it back on your PC.
  5. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m experiencing excruciatingly slow performance running the latest 64bit version on a 3.2ghz i5 iMac with 8gb ram and 2gb video. Am I missing some setting that’s either causing this or can address it?

I realize there’s a lot of variables in play here but something isn’t right.

(I ‘updated’ to the 64bit version hoping to get a bump in performance but no go)
  6. bross

Oddometer:
    Slow how? Are you trying to load your maps from your device? Or are they installed to your hard drive?
  7. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    Running maps locally (I update both the unit and BC when installing new maps)

Slow as in click and drag to move the map and it can take up to 10 sec before it will render. Zooming in and out is also very slow.

Trying to change the route by control-click is very dependent on timing. If I click the track/route and control too quickly it will only move the map. I have to click the track, pause a few seconds, then hit control, wait for the icon to change then I can reshape the route.

I have quite a few tracks, routes and POI’s in ‘My Collection’ but I use different folders and lists to work from so very items are being displayed. Could removing the files not being used help speed things up? Not sure why it would but I’m going to give it a shot.
  8. bross

Oddometer:
    Which version of OS?
    System Requirements:
    Intel based Mac running OS 10.13 or higher. Users on older OS's should use BaseCamp 4.7.0 available here.
    1024 MB RAM (2048 MB recommended)

Sounds like you have enough computer. Are you in 3D map mode? Try 2D.
    View / Map Views on PC version.

Try uninstall / re-install and a new clean database as a test. You can save your maps and just copy them back again without re-downloading them. Sorry haven't been on the mac version of BC for a couple years.
  9. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could it be that you, somehow, raised the map's Detail Level?

Don't know how to do it on Mac, as I am a Windows user, but every raising the Detail Level makes the rendering slower, specially when you are working with a big area of the map
  10. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-5-13_22-40-41.png
    I'm talkling about control number 4 in the picture
  11. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    10.14.4 (latest according to the update check)
    Running 2D
    Have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling

I usually run it at 25%-50% detail unless I’m looking for the lesser back roads.

12. Olmatey

Olmatey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a route riding offroad trails and gravel roads, i have several diff gpx tracks that i want to link up as one GPX track file.
    Is it possible to make one Track out of several?
    Im using a Montana.

Thanks in advance Bob
  13. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can have one file with several tracks in it. Not sure if that is what u are referring to when u say “one GPX file”.

You can also join multiple tracks together to create one single track. In Basecamp, u just highlight the tracks u want, right click mouse and chose “joint selected tracks”. However, unless those tracks are in a convenient order, u will create a messy cluster$#%k of a track...
  14. Olmatey

Olmatey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply im brand new to this base camp and my Montana.
    Yes i already have the file with several tracks in it, just wanted to try and join them up. Will give it a try join them up up if its to messy will just keep them seperate.

I also have another big loop made as a track, can i arrive in the top of the loop from another direction and start following that track like from midway?

Thanks again
  15. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You should be able to. Most often I just make the track visible on the map and follow the tracks or routes (if u r new u will quickly learn there is a difference between those two). Routing the track is not always ideal when riding off road...

Good luck!
  16. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is what I do on my Montana, in the track manager I pick the tracks I want to see by selection 'Display on map' and pick a color.
    Than I go back to the main menu and just go to 'Display Map' all the tracks will show up.
    I usually pick different colors so that I know which track I'm on.

Like BBohemian said, routing a track is not ideal.
  17. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can highly recommend the New England Riders tutorial mentioned at the beginning of this thread. It will point you in the right direction and give you some ideas on what Basecamp can do and what the limitations are.
  18. Easy Ed

Easy Ed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I created it to help fellow riders figure it out. Garmin is not very supportive.
  19. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very helpful. Thank you indeed!
  20. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Guys-I just picked up a minty used Zumo 590LM.

I downloaded Garmin Express and successfully installed the new updates.

I've been using Mapsource on the computer to build routes to load them onto a now dead 60CSX, but what computer program do I use for route building for this zumo?