BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    Basecamp. Or any routing site that will output gpx routes and tracks. Then you need to navigate to the gpx folder on the gps and drop those files in.
    dirty_sanchez and Rudderfeet like this.
  2. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:

+1 on BaseCamp or any other software that will output GPX file that u can then drop to your GPS (with BaseCamp or just using your computer and dropping the file directly to the gps folder on your unit).

I’d only add that most of the times u want to import track, not route. Best to go through this thread for more details and differences between those.
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like Mapsource you can just keep using it.
  4. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp question. How do I make my basecamp map view display the terrain details. I saw it displayed once, but I think i had my Nav V hooked up at the time.

Anyone have their basecamp display set up to do this? how??

thanks
  5. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If u have topo maps installed on your pc (or gps), you need to switch map view in the menu options on the top of the bc screen to your topo maps (I run windows, Mac may be different). I’m not at my comp right now to give you better description but hopefully it is close enough...
  6. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Help me out here-How?

I've been using Mapsource for the last 10 years and am pretty proficient with the software at this point.

I plugged in a new to me Nuvi 590 over the weekend to see if the program would see the GPS but it didn't.

What can I do to make it work?

This Basecamp is kicking my butt so far-not overly intuitive.
  7. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strange that it’s not seen. Does the PC open Garmin Express or does that see it? Do you see it in Windows Explorer? Does the display on the GPS show the regular display like on your bike or does it shows a picture of a PC and Cable?
  8. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    I'll monkey around with it some more to see if I can figure it out.
  9. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a different USB cable. I have found that some just provide power to the device but for some reason the data pins to make it communicate don't work.
  10. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks. I must have topo on my Garmin and not on my pc.
  11. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If w
    If what you have is actually a Zumo 590 and not a Nuvi 590 then in order to use Mapsource with it you need to change the MTP settings to Mass Storage Mode. Google how to do it on the 590.
  12. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    why cant you still use mapsource?
  13. Next__Adventure

Next__Adventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thank you, Ed and the New England Riders for this amazing resource. I've been using Basecamp but struggling with it. Searched high and low for guides without success. This tutorial is a gamechanger and helped me use the program to its capacity. Combined with the new 24k Garmin Topo map I invested in, can't stop, won't stop.
    wilfred and smbjm like this.
  14. T100-SC

T100-SC Ride Old Bikes

Oddometer:
    Many apologies if this is either a remedial (aka: I should know...) or a frequently asked question...
    Background: I have created many routes with Basecamp (PC based) connected to my BMW Nav 5.
    They have a Start and an End point.
    How do I "reverse" the Start and End points...and the direction flow on the GPS...when I want to ride those routes in reverse?
    Is that done on Basecamp in the PC?
    I tried...but I can't seem to find that option on the GPS.
    Thanks for any advice.
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Zumo’s 660 and 396 I just select the route, then hit the “menu” button, 3 lines and choose reverse route.
  16. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It's best done in Basecamp but even there it's not without potential issues. In BC, double click on the route to open the Route Dialog Box. At the bottom of the box click on "Invert". Potential issues though are if you had any routing points on divided roadways, one way roads, entrance or exit ramps etc the new route would create loops to get you to those waypoints. I prefer to do this in BC partly because it's much easier to review the two routes and look for any deveations. I just change the color of the new route and any differences stand out.

Some GPSs may have an invert or reverse route feature. I'm not aware of any Garmin other then Z660 and Z665 that has a reverse route feature. With out that you would have to edit the route, move the ending point to the beginning, move the beginning point to the end and then Optimize the route. The results could be hit or miss thought and I would expect more miss than hit especially with anything more than the simplest of routes.
    wilfred likes this.
  17. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that the Nav V has an option to invert the route. I don't have it in front of me but it seems to me I have seen that option somewhere on the unit in the past. but I agree with smbjm. doing it in basecamp allows you to review the route much easier.
  18. T100-SC

T100-SC Ride Old Bikes

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the multiple replies! Here's where I am:
    > Nav 5 GPS: When I select the route (aka: trip) and the 3 line menu...it does not show an option for reverse or invert.
    > Basecamp: Indeed, when I open the Route Dialog Box, there is an option to invert. When I select that option...you guessed it...I get the warning that one way roads, etc are in the route and do I want to procede....
    > So...While planning a spring trip for 2020 that will basically be reverse of a 2019 trip...for which I made ~ 20 routes...
    I guess my plan will be to just redo all 20 in the reverse direction. Before I do that I'll try the BC "invert" option on one and see how it differs from the original. May be able to just make a few tweeks to get the correct result.
    Thanks again.
  19. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea to test a couple in Basecamp to see how it goes. Unless you like creating new routes, modifying old routes will obviously be faster.

I think that you could make a copy of the route and then invert the copy. That way you could have the original still intact in case you mess up the new one. However, you have to be careful. There is a copy and a duplicate. One of them will be linked to your original route, so any change to the new route will change the original. I can't recall which is which. You can try one and then make a small change to the new one to see if it carried back to the original. There might be a better explanation on it earlier in this thread or in another thread.
    T100-SC likes this.
  20. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duplicate, never copy.
    T100-SC likes this.