BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. T100-SC

T100-SC Ride Old Bikes

Oddometer:
    OK...a progress report...
    > When I simply open BC, without connecting the Nav 5 with it's detailed maps, open ANY route and I try the "invert" option...I get the pop-up window of caution and back out.
    > When I open BC and connect the Nav 5, and the detailed maps that live in the Nav 5 load up...I can open ANY of these 20 quite detailed routes...select the "invert" option, I get NO pop-up window of caution and every one of them SEEMED to reverse in correct order. These routes are back roads, gravel roads, and some forest service roads, some with many shaping points, all of which (except start and end) I also reset to "no alert".
    So...in this case...it worked. Thanks for the advice...and thanks smbjm for the excellent NERBC Tutorials.
  2. Next__Adventure

Next__Adventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the original route had way points and you want to use the same ones, you should be able to create a new route by connecting those waypoints.
  3. Next__Adventure

Oddometer:
    New question. Anyone know if there is a way to store map off one's Zumo locally so that it is accessible from Basecamp without having to connect the Zumo? The default map on my older model Zumo 665 is the City Navigator that shipped with it. I was able to import that map. I recently purchased the topographic map from Garmin (gamechanging upgrade for planning offroad routes). It's too large to store on the Zumo even if I delete the default City Navigator map so I had to purchase a micro SD card to store it. Basecamp appears to only be able to import the map that is stored in the default device storage. I can't seem to import the larger topo map because it's stored on a separate drive. Anyone know if there's a way to import the map? As it stands, if I want to plan a route using the topo map, I have to take the garmin off the bike, open the back and connect it.
  4. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since this thread is about the NER Basecamp Tutorials, it's obvious from your question you did not read the tutorials. I would suggest you start there to find out how to store your maps locally on your computer.
    scfrank likes this.
  5. Next__Adventure

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I apologize if I posted in the incorrect section and will remove my earlier post along with this one but thought I'd share what I found out. I started with the tutorials but did not find specific instructions on how to install a purchased Garmin map locally. I've figured out that the problem in my case isn't with Basecamp or even Garmin Express, it's with the proprietary Garmin map file. After trying multiple times and multiple ways without success I finally called Garmin tech support. They said that what I want to do is intentionally NOT possible. He said that high rez topo maps purchased as direct downloads from Garmin are not intended for use in Basecamp without the gps device connected. It's why Garmin Express forces you to download direct to the device. Their purchased maps are proprietary and they configure them so that you can't even see them as a file let alone copy, paste, duplicate or install. He suggested that one possible work around is to remove the SD card from the GPS unit and plug it directly into the computer and then attempt to copy and paste the entire folder from the card to local drive then attempt to locate and move the large map file into the default Basecamp map folder. Alternatively, install a second SD card into the GPS unit and reinstall the map, then use the original SD card like a drive to access the map file from Basecamp. Otherwise, only way to access the Garmin topo map is with the GPS device connected. I imagine that another alternative (which he did not mention) is to simply use a different map file than Garmin's pricey and restricted one. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear from you. @smbjm thanks again for making this fantastic resource available.
  6. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sincerely apologize. I skipped over the part where you mentioned the topo maps. I know some folks use the tools available from JaVaWa to move a copy your computer and treat it as a mountable drive.
    Next__Adventure likes this.
  7. Next__Adventure

Oddometer:
    No apology necessary at all. Grateful for all the expertise. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that! Was surprised I got a live person on the phone when I called Garmin tech support who knew exactly what the issue was and was able to give me some advice on how to try and solve it (though me mentioned he wasn't supposed to!)
    FireDog45 likes this.
  8. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New England Riders has added some addtional GPS info to our website.

All of our GPS learning info is at https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/GPS.htm

The following are direct links to specific topics:
    Using BaseCamp with a Tom Tom GPS https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/BaseCamp-with-TomTom-GPS.pdf

Access BaseCamp Library from Multiple Computers https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Basecamp Share.pdf

Using Map Themes with Garmin GPS. Using custom map themes to improve appearance of your GPS screen.
    https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Garmin Map Themes.pdf

A few Custom map Themes for download:
    https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Themes/Themes.htm

Online Course Log. A log of posts from the online BaseCamp Course.
    https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/BaseCamp-Online-Log.htm
  9. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Just FYI the last link doesn't seem to work. File not found.

Maybe https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Garmin Map Themes.pdf

KR
  10. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Sorry. I read over that part.

KR
  12. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've updated the links and it should be working now.
    wilfred, FireDog45 and CavReconSGT like this.
  13. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing! This is a tremendous resource!!
  14. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G’day,

Having a minor issue on Base Camp.
    When doing way points on a route I get a direct line from point A to B. This occurs even thought I have motorcycling or driving as the route. We sure why this is happening.
    Have done quite a bit of mapping and used different loaded maps and this occurs regardless of what mapping I am using.
    Not had this issue previously.
    Any assistance appreciated.
  15. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    have you loaded any new maps lately if so what map?
  16. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using the Mac version? If so, download V 4.8.8.

Otherwise, are you using a routable map? Activity profile?
  17. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try calculating the route
  18. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Using Garmin V6 Topo,
    When you say try calculating the route not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate please.
    Using windows 10in PC
  19. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think he means put in only start and finish and let basecamp calculate the route
  20. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance, but would he need some road maps (i.e. City Navigator) to calculate a route?
    Does the Topo map have any roads?