BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin 24K topos are routable and 100K are not
    FireDog45 likes this.
  2. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you right click on the route name (from the left hand pane where all the routes, tracks and POI's are) you should see the option to "Recalculate Route". When you do that it will recalculate based on the preferences you have set. (FYI: I'm using a Mac but I'm going to assume that it will work the same.)

tvan likes this.
  3. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well sort of. Many topo maps are routable on roads and some trails. I have no idea if the V6 Topo is routable or not.
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    actually that is a very good point.One version of garmin topos are routable but the other is not..I was assumin gthis has worked for him in the past
  5. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All my maps are routable.
    Even doing recalculate has been an issue. This problem is not occuring on all routes just some.
  6. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No routable roads on those trouble ones? Check your start and end points and waypoints to make sure they are really on a road, or the correct side of the road if a divided highway etc. Zoom in to see where the above are really placed. That's one of Ed's tips from his tutorial and saved me when I had a route that wanted to u-turn me for no reason, zoomed in to see my waypoint was placed on the east side of a divided highway when my route was traveling west. Impossible to see or know at the zoom level I was planning the route.
    Rudderfeet and FireDog45 like this.
  7. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    This! I got bit by this more than once

Rudderfeet likes this.
  8. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point Bross, will check this.

thanks
  9. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's actually a good idea to do a 1 time zoomed in sweep on your route when you are close to done to check that all points are on the road. In the past I have ended up with points off the edge of the road in a field. It is especially important if you are sharing routes with someone.
  10. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Hi i'm still learning Basecamp. Using a Mac and 595lm.
    My question is i'm trying to create a track on BaseCamp but it only draws in a line. I seem to remember it wasn't always this way?
    I can make a route following exact road road paths but transferring it to GPS i'm unsure if it might recalculate instead of staying exactly as plotted on BaseCamp.
    Its taken me a whole 2 days to make progress at routing better but i'm brain fuzzing so could use a little advice.
    Cheers
  11. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to figure out how to convert the route to a track so i can view it on the map on the GPS in its literal form and not as a straight line
  12. SnapnRide

SnapnRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please check the 'Activity' selected on the Route Window that opens up. Select an activity other than Direct. I've attached screenshots. If this isn't the problem check if your maps are routable for the area being worked on. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. SnapnRide

SnapnRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After successfully creating a Route, right-click on the created route and select 'create track from route'. You will have your track. Some devices limit the number of points accepted for a track. This needs to be determined for your device, and can be selected in Preferences. If you don't do this, I found the track would be shortened to the maximum points the device would accept.

Attached Files:

Madman4049 likes this.
  14. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    As i'm on a Mac I can't right click. Finding how to turn off direct routing is the problem. I have no options in Activities.
    thanks for the suggestions its a help to have something to be looking for
  15. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    How to turn of direct routing on a Mac when creating a track
  16. SnapnRide

SnapnRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a Mac too. I have the following suggestions -
    (a) Download the latest version of Basecamp from the App Store. For some reason, the default activities that come loaded are not showing up in your software.
    (b) Look up 'Basecamp Tutorial' on Youtube - Most of the routine tasks are explained there.

As for the 'right click' - tapping the track pad with two fingers simultaneously will bring up the 'right-click menu'.

All the best.

(One such tutorial playlist- )
    OzCr0w likes this.
  17. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate your information was enough to get my brain onto something to be looking for. Have found how to convert a route to a track so thats more than helpful.
    I've got some quirky things going on as I have the latest basecamp but when I try to reinstall it needs a higher Operating System version update which is also the current version.
    No matter now that I found that hiding button. Thanks again for the help
    SnapnRide likes this.
  18. pshell

pshell n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the forum and new to basecamp. After about ten hours of trying, I can not figure out how to update the global map in Basecamp. I have researched and tried everything I can find. Deleted and re-installed basecamp and garmin express and downloaded the map to my Zumo XT and to my computer. I still cannot find the way to put the same map into Basecamp that is on my GPS and in my computer. HELP!
  19. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Windows or Mac?
    AFAIK, the Global map only updates when a new version of BaseCamp is installed. You really don't want to use the Global map anyway, since the Zumo will be using a City Navigator map for routing, and you want BaseCamp and Zumo to be using the same map.
    Using Windows, the Map drop-down should display the available maps. If you have used Garmin Express to download the map to the XT and your computer, Basecamp should let you choose which one to use when the XT is plugged in. "Installed" will be much faster.
    upload_2020-5-19_22-45-4.png

I've had some trouble getting Garmin Express to update maps on my computer because I store them on my hard drive (D:\Garmin\Maps) instead of the SSD (C:). Express accepts the storage location I request but does not update the shortcuts correctly. Instructions to fix that problem are here: https://support.garmin.com/en-SG/?faq=QiFbhYPah76hheXIrrbYM6 The maps do not appear in the Maps drop down until the shortcuts are fixed.
  20. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you use Garmin express to update the maps on your Zumo. Then make sure that the box is checked to update both your zumo and your computer.

Once the update is complete, unhook your zumo, close basecamp, then open basecamp. then go to maps, like in the example above and you should see the city navigator with the latest version.