BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. pshell

pshell n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ikraus. You kept me from pulling my hair out. After connecting my XT to my computer with Basecamp running, I was able to click on the City Navigator map and do what I wanted. I am now studying Basecamp to understand it more. Once again, THANKS!
  2. pshell

pshell n00b

Oddometer:
    Ikraus. With your help and some from Garmin, I figured out a way to get the City Navigator into Basecamp. Using Garmin Express, I downloaded City Navigator Maps to my download file. I right clicked on the City Navigator Map folder and clicked copy. I then went to my Garmin folder, clicked on the Basecamp folder and found the folder for Maps. I then right clicked on the Maps folder and clicked on copy. Now with City Navigator Folder and Global Application Basemap Folder both in the Maps Folder, Basecamp gives me the option to use either without connecting my Zumo XT to the computer. I hope this helps others who are struggling like me. Once again, Thanks and help me spread this around.
  3. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1Q) is the default Global Map not routable?

I had a etrex20x and Base Camp pulled the latest map from it.

I tried with my 60csx I don't see the updated 60csx map in Base Camp. Thoughts?
  4. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can import routes into Basecamp using the Global map. but it will not contain any minor roads. It will only show major roads.
  5. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Global Map is not routable. Try to build a new route using it and all you will get are straight lines between points. Load an existing route using the Global map and it follows the road, until you recalculate and the path becomes straight lines between points.
  6. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    thanks :( any way to get route able maps (i installed the OSM Garmin maps, but like the Garmin ones lil better).

does anyone know if the cheap garmin auto GPS sync with base map and upload their maps to Base-camp?

I spend couple of hours today trying to do the tutorial, learning Base-camp and am slowly coming to appreciate its power and idiosyncrasies ..

I am trying to learn how to convert gpx files (from Sunday Morning Rides) into Tom Tom routable files ( that can be uploaded through MyDrive portal). Right now it is multi-application process.

1) import GPX to Base Map and reduce the track points, export as new GPX
    2) import GPX to Tyre: change the start and end point. Re-compute the route (Tyre works on Google Maps API, so the routes are one click export to google maps )
    3) Import gpx to MyDrive to tune & finalize the route and sync to TomTom 550 (easiest painless sync process :)

I am pretty sure there is a better way :) I am only yet to find it ...
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I accidentally updated Basecamp and lost the view in Google Earth option. Is there any way to get this back in the most current version or do I need to back up Basecamp, uninstall the current version and reinstall 4.70 ?
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe you may have to go back to 4.6.2, but that's what you have to do yes.
    dpike likes this.
  9. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    Ed many thanks for this, great stuff. I have a specific question that I have had no luck answering and am hoping you can help. I have gpx tracks that I have in Basecamp and then move to my Nav V Garmin device. I know how to turn the tracks into a route (I like the instructions telling me how far to the turn, end etc.). I have my device set as you recommended and as well, the auto calculate for missing a turn is off, it is now a prompt. My question is once this is a route, how do you add waypoints without the route being completely recalculated (even though the auto is turned off). As well, for the SEAT, the TAT etc. there is lots of information like camp sites, etc. how do you add that to the route that you have just converted from tracks? many thanks if you have a moment for this.
  10. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Maybe yours is different. I have used the Montana 800 and now have the Zumo 396. I can make my track with all my waypoints in Basecamp and transfer the TRACK to my 396. I then convert that to a ROUTE and it seems to keep all the other information unchanged. Can you do that on the Nav V?

KR
  11. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responding. I can take a track and make it into a route, either on Basecamp or on the unit itself while riding. If I want to add a waypoint to the route, BC will completely re-draw the route and I then have to manually go back and "move" the route back to its original track (which is superimposed on the map). It is a laborious process and am trying to figure if there is another way besides what I described or completely re-drawing the routes (which I really really do not want to do). I am starting the TAT in a few weeks and I want to put campgrounds, gas, restaurants and motels into the route as waypoints to make it easier to enter/exit the TAT and to give indications of what is coming up.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

The way I do that is to manually add the waypoint data into the .gpx file with a text editor. Its just a text file. Then import that into Basecamp. Then send that to the GPS as a track. Then make the route. Works for me.

KR
    Overanalyze likes this.
  13. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I strongly recommend reading the Basecamp/Zumo guide here at ST-Owners.com (free registration needed). It's written for the 590/595, but the 396 and XT seem to use the same route/track handling. It explains exactly how BC and your Zumo use via points, shaping points, and waypoints (these are all different) to create routes and what happens when you attempt to makes changes in a route. It also has examples showing how to include optional stops.

A track converted to a route has only a start and an end point, so when you add another point, the route has to be changed. If you are already on the route, it will calculate a new route from your present position to the new point and then to the end. Starting from a converted track, you will want to edit the route in BC to place more via and shaping points to constrain the route to your preferred roads, and provide more options when the inevitable on-road changes are needed. I'd suggest via points leaving towns and maybe just past major intersections. A point placed in a minor intersection becomes a silent shaping point, to avoid too many annoying instructions. You can change the via/shaping type in BC by opening the route and editing the type.

A fairly easy BC way to add via points after creating the route from the track is to open the route and select the Hand tool. Hold down the ALT key, click on the route, drag it to the side and then put it right back. (In Windows, Mac may be different.) This is much easier than creating individual waypoints as they will not clutter up your zumo favorites and will automatically be placed in the proper order for the route. Via points will be announced, will be available as starting points when (re)starting the route, and the Zumo will require that you reach them or manually skip them(which recalculates the route to the next via point). Shaping points are silent, and will be ignored if you bypass them and then find your way back to the route.

If you then add a stop enroute, the zumo will calculate a route from your present position to the new point, to the next via point, and then continue the original route to the end. In the process, it will ignore any shaping points between your present location and the via point where you rejoin the original route. You can toggle a shaping point on the Zumo to become a via point to provide more options.

Individual waypoints that are not part of the original route can be added to the BC list without manually editing the gpx text file. They will be in "Saved" locations under "Where To?", and when selected, you will be prompted to create a new route or add your selection to the original route. The more via points available, the smaller the section that will need recalculation.
    EmmEff likes this.
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or...
    (Works on 595, probably other Zumos, not field tested, you'll need some idea of where you want to rejoin the route...)
    So, you are following a route created by converting a track on a Zumo. Route has only Begin and End points, no other via or shaping points. You go off route and want to resume the original track with routing instructions.
    Select the route in Trip Planner, click the wrench on the screen listing the Begin and End points, select Shape Route.
    Zoom/scroll to find the point to rejoin the original route, zoom in as much as possible and tap that point.
    Click Save, and a shaping point will be created.
    Back up a screen where you will again see the list with Begin and End, plus the new shaping point with a circle icon.
    Tap the circle icon and it will change to a via point (flag).
    Tap GO, select the new point as Next Destination, and then OK.
    The Zumo will calculate a new route to the via point and then follow the remainder of the original route and track.
  15. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    Got a popup for BaseCamp software version 4.7.2 . Any expert tried :D

Notes:

• System Requirements:
      Windows 7 SP1 or later is required. Machines with earlier operating systems can use BaseCamp 4.2.5.
    • .NET framework 4.6 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
    • 1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
    • A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
    • If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
    • BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
    • BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.
    Change History
    Changes made from version 4.7.1 to 4.7.2:

• Fixed routing mismatch issue on Zumo XT
    • Fixed map display issue on Zumo XT
    • Re-enabling Yelp searching
    • Various stability and bug fixes
    • FourSquare and Parkopedia products will now be displayed in BaseCamp as pre-loaded maps on specific devices

PS: if anyoen has an authentic link to the 4.7.1 installer, that will be helpful for a roll back scenario.
  16. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    Thank you very helpful.
  17. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the effort. Not sure we are talking about the same thing. A track is a series of point on that put together give a direction of travel. For Sam's tracks, you can not add a waypoint. What you can do in Basecamp is take a track and convert it into a route. Once you have done that in BC, you can add waypoints but then I run into the problem that the actual route will re-draw itself for something different. I can manually track the colored line back to where I want it but that is laborious. After re-drawing and getting it back where I want it, I can transfer that to my device and all good. thanks for the help.
  18. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the significant help. I see what you are saying. I took a track and converted it into a route on BC. As you stated, it just says Start and End. I then stuck a waypoint in (a campground) and the whole route changed. I then put a few other waypoints in (gas, hotel, food, etc.) and slowly the route went back to the original shape. To finish off, I then manually moved the line to adhere to the original track/route (Sam's) and there you go. Many thanks.
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

On the 396 I can take the track. Transfer the track to the 396, then make a trip from it, using import on tracks page and creating a trip. It maintains all of the elements of the .gpx track that I uploaded to the 396. I can then just use the trip, which is a route.

Maybe it doesn't work like that on the 595 but it has worked well for me with Kevins, and Sams track as well as the NH Flatlander, the Hampster track and NEBDR track.

KR
    Overanalyze likes this.
  20. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That works on the 595 as well, as long as you make no changes. But if you do anything that causes a recalculation of that route (add a stop, or go off-route, or restart the route) the Zumo will create a new route from your current location to the next waypoint. With a converted track (which has only a start and an end), the only point left for the Zumo to aim for is the very end, so the remainder of the planned route will be ignored. The steps in post #374 are a way to edit the route on the Zumo, adding a via point to salvage as much of the original converted route as possible.
    Overanalyze and CavReconSGT like this.