BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...my Basecamp frustration continues. As I follow the tutorial through the first routing exercise, Basecamp does not take the same route between the waypoints. It goes down hill from there as follow through the tutorial, all kinds of funky routing, never the same as the tutorial. Oh how I wish there was better software for planning routes.
  2. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, how would you recommend using basecamp with 2 different gps units? I use a 550 for the bike and a Rhino for hiking. Should I have one Basecamp install for the 550 and another install for the Rhino?
  3. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just one install. Basecamp will work with any number of different units. You'll just need to use the appropriate activity profile for hiking vs motorcycling when creating routes/tracks.
  4. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading thru the pdf I'm going to set up a list folder just for hiking trails. Figure that should keep everything separate.
  5. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone detail the process on how to do this. I have "imported" them into basecamp from my computer. But when I zoom in to check them the routes aren't on the actual roads. I have opened the routes and "recalculated" them and Basecamp turns them into a series of straight lines instead of the route it was. What am I doing wrong?
  6. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you set an activity profile for the routes you imported and if so what activity profile are you using? Are you using a map that allows off road routing?

Straight lines often indicate the Direct activity profile.
  7. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    :baldy

I don't like base camp at all, but I am stuck with it! :becca
  8. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely brilliant.

Basecamp user, starting to master it, but the begginings were terrible. I had to figure out, failure after failure, most of the so well explained things in this tuto. Wish I had it before.

One suggestion. There's one (quite hidden) feature in Basecamp that i didn't find in this tutorial. And I think is very powerfull

Basecamp has the possibility to mix, in the same route, 2 or more driving modes.

E.g., it is posible to tell the route to go from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2 in motorcycle mode, from waypoint 2 to waypoint 3 on offroad mode and to follow from waypoint 3 to wayoint 4 on motorcycle (or automobile or any mode you want) mode again.

Or, when you find the road on the map ends, but you know the road follows (it is just the map is not updated) you can force the navigator to follow the route, putting a waypoint at the end of the road in the map and using the mode "direct" until you reach another road in the map. Then, just change the mode to normal and presto.

Anyway, many thanks to the author

:clap:clap:clap
    BLUE(UK) and Samoadv like this.
  9. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that is a great useful feature in BaseCamp. Keep in mind the tutorial was put together by on-road riders and was intended to help people get over the initial steep leaning curve, with the idea of helping people share routes available on NER's website. The features that could be included are almost endless. Custom POIs, Tour Guides, Tracks, Map Overlays, and many other features too numerous to include.
    wilfred and Samoadv like this.
  10. Spyderrider

Spyderrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do we stand on the Mac version specific tutorial??
  11. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's still a work in progress. I told Ed that I would convert the tutorial for Mac. Problem is I'm not a Mac guy and have to borrow my wife's Macbook. Prying her laptop away from her has been a challenge, then my trip to Montana yada yada. It's probably about 2/3rds done and I hope to finish it in the next couple of weeks.
  12. Spyderrider

Spyderrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. smbjm
    Thanks ahead of time.
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    This is an excellent piece of work! Thanks so much for creating it, Ed!

Can anyone tell me how to add a "shaping point" to an existing route?
  14. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there are two ways to create shaping points. The first method is to simply place the point precisely on an intersection. Shaping points created this way are treated as such on both newer and older GPSrs and can be done in BaseCamp & Mapsource.
    The other method in BaseCamp is to right click on the point in the route properties window and select "Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping point)". Shaping points created this way are only recognized by newer GPSrs using Tripplanner for routing.
  15. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin should have made 2 versions, Basecamp and Basecamp Lite. Lite being simple and intuitive, for making a route with simple drag and drop, and reduced features that most won't use. Then the main version could/would be used by the geniuses who have the PhD's in software design.
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I am familiar the process for marking something as "do not alert", but in your first suggestion you said "simply place the point precisely on an intersection" and I understand what you mean by "on an intersection" but by what means is the point itself being created? In other words, is there a shaping point tool that I use to drop shaping points along the way I want to go? (and then perhaps import them into a route)
  17. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RTFM, or in this case the Tutorial, Example 1, Section 7
  18. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    getting a bit better with it[basecamp] but is a lot harder than other mapping sites i use

but shall persist
  19. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it. When you finally undesrtand how it wors, you won't regret it.

I just finished a 9 days / 4.000 km around the Alps with the only help of the routes I draw with Basecamp and my Garmin device. ANd it followed exactly what i planned
    wilfred and Samoadv like this.
  20. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know how I can create a route and have it be displayed only on my Garmin GPSMAP64? When I upload the route to my GPS and then try to display the route, it seems I am only able to display it by selecting, "Go." The problem is that typically about 1/3 the way through my route my GPS starts trying to route me back home. If I could just get the route displayed as an overlay I can track where I am going myself as opposed to being told to turn left, then right, etc.

Thanks.

NC