BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ConiKost

ConiKost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, that's more steps ;-)
  2. ConiKost

Oddometer:
    I am not using the function anyway ;-)
  3. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Does anyone know how to export a google map into Basecamp to load in a Garmin device?
  4. ConiKost

Oddometer:
    You need to create this as a custom map for Garmin devices.
    Keep in mind, that this format is limited and can't be used for a whole country.

Some info here: http://www.gpsrchive.com/garmin maps/Custom Maps Tutorial.html
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    I just tried the site MapstoGPX.com and it worked! free to use, but I need to turn it into a turn by turn route. I just copied the URL into the box on their site and presto its now in Basecamp!

Hopefully not with a virus or malware????
  6. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone knows/has an opinion:
    Many people create and share Basecamp GPX files that have several separate "Tracks" and separate "Routes", all within one GPX file, why do people not combine Tracks and combine Routes (with the Join utility) into one file.

When doing off road trails why not just do Tracks, aren't Routes a waste of time for off-road "trails", or are people doing Routes just to have Waypoints.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Basecamp has been so difficult but I have not found anything any better to create Tracks and Routes.
  7. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at but you can certainly join a number tracks together and join a number of routes together. It's pretty easy to do in Basecamp but I don't know about other routing programs or apps.
    Routes don't make much sense for off road if the underlying map does not have routable trails for the route to follow.

BTW you can used mixed profiles in routes. So for example if you have a route that and you want to go off road in a section you can change the activity profile to direct for the off road section and that section will effectively be a track imbedded in the route. Can't do it for long sections because of shaping point limitations though.
    PRW likes this.
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responding - Cannonshot (and many others) did a great Pony Express GPX file he shared...but has 3 or 4 separate Track files within his one GPX file...and several separate Routes. I know, it's easy to Join Tracks into ONE track, but wondering why some done join them and leave several small tracks non joined in their gpx file. I think I understand about multiple profiles etc.
  9. CSpringsRider

CSpringsRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which GPS are you using? If using a Zumo XT, you can use the Trip Planner to convert the track to a route. It won't be called a "Route," it will be caled a "saved trip."
  10. bnschroder

bnschroder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a hypothesis: older GPS units had limits how many way points per track they would process. So splitting tracks makes sense to manage them.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  11. CSpringsRider

CSpringsRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used mapstogpx quite a bit to convert Google Maps routes to gpx tracks and it does not seem to have any virus or malware issues. At least nothing that Norton has detected. FYI, if you are creating the loop route, the start and end point cannot be the same or you'll get an error.
  12. jfheath

jfheath Tourer

Oddometer:
    A trip (converted from a track) behaves a bit like a normal route when navigating, but it has no Via or Shaping points. It comes from a track rather than from a series of intermediate routing points.
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any tips on how to copy my Basecamp file setup (file folders, lists, etc) from one computer to another? Thanks
  14. ConiKost

Oddometer:
    Just use the fuction to create a backup inside BaseCamp and import that backup file on a new computer?
    emxgarcia, CavReconSGT and renogeorge like this.
  15. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If all you want is to copy the data file then just use Basecamp's Backup function, and restore I to the other computer.
    If you want to be able to access the same data from two computers then you should look at the write-up on the New England Riders website on using Basecamp with a shared drive.
    CavReconSGT and renogeorge like this.
  16. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Thank You guys!
  17. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Just in case you’re not familiar with “flash drives”. I use the basecamp Export menu option copy files to an SD card or Flash Drive. They use the import menu option to copy them on to the other computer. Also have a backup folder on basecamp computer and Export files to them folder, and can then simply Email the needed basecamp files as email attachments…use this same method to move files to my iphone.
    renogeorge likes this.
  18. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. It was the backup and restore functions I wasn’t aware of. The file moving part I had figured out—kinda. Thanks
  19. Antti

Antti Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I`m moving from Windows to Mac.. how can I convert route to track on Mac?
    Just got new macbook Air with M1.. sweet but some things as stupid as only Apple can be :lol3
  20. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right click on the route (control click if you don’t have a two button mouse)
    Select “create track from route”

Once created you can double click on the track then click circled three dot icon (lower left of the info window) to make adjustments like filtering, inverting etc
    Antti likes this.