BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only workaround I have found is to save my work often, make a change hit save, make a change, hit save, repeat ad infinitum...

I really wish another manufacturer would step up and provide some real competition for Garmin, they have become very complacent in the last 5 or 6 years and their products are starting to suck...
  2. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    +1 As I've begrudgingly and ad nauseously noted in a separate NAV5 thread, the NAV5's functionality and utility is lightyears behind my 10+ years-old GPSMAP 478. I regrettably needed to finally "upgrade" to the NAV5, because I could no longer install the newer maps in the 478. Technology in reverse... :bluduh
  3. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is pretty sad that I miss some of the functionality of my 276 that died a few years ago, there is no reason that I should miss old technology. The new technology should at least do what the old one did. :hmmmmm
  4. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like something I did not want to read...
    I'm planning on buying a macbook pro retina 13" with either 8 or 16gb of ram (haven't decided yet), and one of my common time consuming uses will be creating routes and tracks in BC. Now I'm wondering if I should NOT buy the retina display. Do most users with the retina display find issues, or is it mostly only a few instances?
  5. PRW

Oddometer:
    Well, personally, I wouldn't choose my computer based on a poorly maintained and supported application. But if you're expecting it to reliably run Basecamp, today, you will be disappointed. This is reportedly a known issue for months and Garmin still hasn't fixed it.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience is not at all bad. I've used BaseCamp on my MacBook Pro Retina 15" since Nov 2014 and never had a crash or hiccup. BaseCamp or otherwise. I don't do much routing, but I do a lot of track editing - cut and paste track segments between tracks, clip out unwanted track segments, add track points and waypoints, and move tracks between my Montana and Mac.

I don't upgrade my software very often, so my experience may not apply to a newer hardware/software setup.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2012
    CPU 2.6 GHz i7
    16GB main memory
    Apple SSD 500GB (HD)

Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion
    BaseCamp 4.2.1.0

:ricky
  7. PRW

Oddometer:
    Interesting — perhaps the crashing is also tied to a newer version of OS X and not simply retina displays. :dunno Your OS X version is 4 major releases old! :D
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    smartphone makers about five years ago... ditch basecamp and the vender lock in all set once.
  9. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    ohgood,
    Would you clarify. If I ditch basecamp how can I get my smart phone to be a good GPS?
  10. giganova

giganova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it -- this is a great tutorial! I'm very frustrated with BaseCamp: when I create a route in BaseCamp and send it to my device (Zumo 660), it won't show up under Custom Routes most of the times. Sometimes it does and I cannot figure out why it only works sometimes.
  11. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of things: are you sending to the internal memory or the SD Card. I prefer to send it to the SD card and then import the route. This way I always have a clean copy of the route available if the active route gets messed up. Another issue may be the number of routing points you have in a route. I believe the 660 is limited to 200 routing points and as I understand it routing points are the beginning and end points, intermediate via or shaping points, as well as routing points that BC or MS add in order for the route to calculate properly.
  12. giganova

giganova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's the number of routing points because I only have this problem with larger, multi-day routes. I wasn't aware of the 200 points limitation. I'll break up the route into separate legs and see if that works.

Good tip on exporting it to the SD card, I'll try that.

Thanks!
  13. PRW

Oddometer:
    FYI -- Basecamp just updated to 4.5.2. Added support for Mac OS X 10.11, as well as improved USB discovery (thank you, Garmin).
  14. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Have you guys that had been having trouble tested this yet?
  15. PRW

Oddometer:
    Played with it a bit this morning on my Macbook 12" Retina and it didn't crash, so it's a good start. But this evening, I'll try to create a long route with it and see what happens. Fingers crossed.
    Team Vegas likes this.
  16. PRW

Oddometer:
    +1 All seems good so far with 4.5.2 on my MacBook 12", running El Cap. :clap
  17. StarkNaked

StarkNaked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed and the New England Riders for this awesome intro into basemap.

I was beginning to think I'd have to plan my trip on mapquest. :lol3
  18. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I've been using BaseCamp since it replaced Mapsource. Your course showed me new ways to do things. Thanks, Ed!

I've used the touchpad on my MacBooks, which probably isn't as easy as using a mouse. I'll have to give the mouse a try with some of your new (to me) methods.

OSX 10.11.1 with BaseCamp 4.5.2 now on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2015 and no problems ever since Garmin fixed the drag and drop.

By the way, https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?171-BaseCamp is useful for Mac people. Here's Windoze: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp

Fred
  19. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just tried to update Basecamp, on a Windows 7 machine, from 4.4.7 to 4.5.2.1, and it fails. I get a message that says "Extraction failed, file is corrupt". Any thoughts?

MV
  20. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would first go to the BaseCamp_452.exe file and see if you can manually start it. I you get the same issue I would delete that file and download the file again directly from Garmin's website.