BaseCamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by smbjm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    I believe version 4.5.2 is only for OS X. Is the extraction file a .exe or .dmg?
  2. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I'm researching on Garmin's site now, and that advice seems to be quite popular.

Well, to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention, I was just going to let Basecamp update itself with its own installer, but it seems that method doesn't always work, so I'll be trying to do it manually now.

MV
  3. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Double checked, file is .exe

Garmin says to uninstall and download all new. Guess I'll try that...

MV
  4. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, a fresh install seemed to do it. All good and updated now.

MV
  5. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same happened to me. The file Basecamp downloaded automatically didn't work (exactly the same message: file corrupt). No need to delete the previous .exe, just went to Garmin's web site and installed from the new downloaded file
  6. sgazzetti

sgazzetti Daily commuter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm another huge fan of the tutorial for Mac. Thanks so much for all the hard work that clearly went into putting this together.
  7. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I was about to sell my Montana 650t and curse Garmin forever until I found this. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put this together. After doing a very brief review of the PDF I immediately printed it and will be having it wire bound at the local Postnet store. Having a hard copy that I can go over frequently adding notes, etc., seems the best way for me to learn anything nowadays. In fact I'd love to see this introduction expanded upon and you could create a nice little "Garmin Basecamp, Mapinstall, and Express for Dummies" book. :clap
  8. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I have been using Basecamp for about a year on my 7 year old laptop running Windows 7 and have connected my BMW/Garmin Navigator V. Everything works fine.

Today I tried to install Basecamp with the same GPS, on my new Microsoft Surface Pro4 that runs Windows 10. Garmin Express installed fine and so did Basecamp. I used Basecamp once and everything seemed ok until I closed the program. When I tried to open Basecamp again, it would not load at all. I talked with Garmin and they said I needed to install Microsoft (4.6.netframework) I called Microsoft support and after 2 hours, they could not install this "prerelease program" and also couldn't get Basecamp to load.

I did all the usual stuff: Uninstall Basecamp and Garmin Express and then reinstall, update Windows 10 and nothing solves this problem.

If anyone knows of a solution to this, please let me know. There seems to be a conflict with Basecamp and Windows 10.

Thanks.
  9. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running BaseCamp on two computers with Win10 for a couple of months now without issue. What you are experiencing is far from a universal problem although there are reports of issues arising with Win10. The solution I've seen work is to install 4.6 .NetFramework. I don't know why MS would refer to it as a pre-release because it's been out since July I think. Did you try to download and install 4.6 .Netframework. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48130

Also, look at thes threads on the BaseCamp Forum: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?316805-Basecamp-does-not-start
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthrea...rning-off-tutorial-screen&p=762886#post762886
  10. despistao

Oddometer:
    Think I also had to install some .net framework (can't remember wich release number) while I was installing Basecamo on a Surface 3 Pro with Windows 10. As far as I remember, the Basecamp installation program told me to do it, gave me the link to the .net installer, followed it and everything went ok.

Now I am using Basecamp without any problems, and I have had to do all this procedure twice, in 2 differente devices (first one's screen was broken, but that's another story).
  11. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information but I'm still having problems.
    The file (NDP46-KB3045560-Web) is on my computer but it appears to be an installation program. Not sure.
    When I click on this file it looks like it is trying to install 4.6 .netframework but I am getting a message that says:
    (Your installation will not occur. See below for reasons why. .NET Framework 4.6 is already installed on your computer) I'm not sure if it is installed or not. How can I know for sure?

So my computer is acting like .NET Framework 4.6 is installed yet when I try to load BaseCamp, nothing happens.

If I delete the BaseCamp user.config file each time before starting BaseCamp, the program will load. As of right now, this is my only work around to get BaseCamp to work on my Surface PRO4 running the most up to date version of Windows 10. The version of BaseCamp I'm using is 4.4.6

Deleting user.config has been a workaround for months. Not sure why I can't get BaseCamp to work like you have been able to do. Any additional help is appreciated.
  12. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that's the work around the BC developers suggested. The fix will be in the next release.
  13. Latimus

Latimus Latimus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue. I resolved it by uninstalling the previous version and downloading the latest full update. Fixed it for me. Good luck.
  14. despistao

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, maybe the Basecap version you are trying to install is the problem.

Windows 10 user here, on a Surface 3 Pro (but i think the device doesn't really matter) with Basecamp 4.5.2 installed

Try with the latest version.
  15. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK so I click on the link in the first post and my computer says it doesn't exist, I looked at it about a month ago when I found this site but now it's not there, is it down or something, I tried on 2 different computers. Thanks
  16. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sent a message to the web admin.
  17. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Website is back up.
  18. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  19. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished watching Ed's tutorial, and want to say THANKS for that!!!
    It is great and helped me tremendously.

Does he recommended installing Basecamp on your laptop AND GPS?
    Or was he referring to he maps?

I bought CN with lifetime updates and am using a Montana. I thought I could only load City Navigator on the Montana, then Basecamp opens it up from there.

I did just load Basecamp onto my Surface Pro and it is working as it should. But I am a total noob, so any further help tutorials anyone can recommend is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  20. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you found it helpful. BaseCamp being the routing software is only installed on your computer(s) - not on your GPS. The maps however, can be loaded on both your GPS and your computer. You can use Garmin Express to download and install the maps to your computer. You'll need to have your GPS connected to your computer, open GE, Select your device, select Map Options then select Install Maps to computer.