BaseCamp vs. Mapsource

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by MYT1, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp seems to support mixed (along-road & direct) routing in one Route as long as you use the "map-switching" approach to creating your route. It does recalculate the route each time you switch between non-Routable and Routable maps but I seem to get what I expected when it's done. If you are using that instead of Tracks, you might just stay with MapSource for now. But it does have some quirks. I don't think they [BC] overtly intended to support mix-routes so this may be an area of marginal support unless a large number of users ask for it. Many have asked for the "leave the Route As-Is" support so that might help.

As many here know, I'm not a fan of Along-road [auto] Routing. Tracks will take you anywhere in the world regardless if one has routable maps or not.

Cheers,
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    DRTBYK, what is your interpertation of the following items that were in the Basecamp Win 3.3.1 update?

◦Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.
    ◦Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.
  3. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    This support was added to both OS version of BaseCamp. It is specifically done to support the zumo routing code and how they use "shaping points". It has little to no relevance for other GPS's.

Cheers,
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

I originally ran into this making changes in a long complicated route, and wasn't absolutely positive about what was happening.

Today I created a short segment of a mixed-map route with several waypoints in regions both where CN showed roads and in regions where it didn't. I then verified that whenever I moved a waypoint BC would recalculate the entire route based on whatever map was active at the time. I will try to find some work arounds.

I do not navigate using along-the-road routing, but I use this feature a lot to create a route that I can convert to tracks.

By proper placement of waypoints, I can always make the route go where I want on the computer.

But there are places where Topo shows roads I want to use that CN doesn't. This is when I resort to the mixed-map routes.
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Many of us work that way in MapSource or BC. What I do in BC is to just create/draw Tracks for the non-CNNA roads using my other map. Then when I convert my Routes to Tracks I just join the portions together to create my complete Track.

Cheers,
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I figured out a pretty good way to create and modify (to some extent) mixed map types in BC.

I discovered that if I used the Insert New Point tool, BC would only recalculate the route just before and after the new via point.

So to create a mixed map route. Create the route as best you can in City Nav. For best results put via points at the beginning and the end of the section where CN does not show the roads you want to use. Then go to Topos and use the Insert New Point tool to insert via points along the roads of the desired route that do not show up in CN.

The Along the road portions of the route will not be affected.

I like to see waypoints even when I am navigating with tracks. So I put them in where I want to see them. I think the key here is to not make the waypoints part of the route.
  7. Tudelum48

Tudelum48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well first off I am happy with Mapsource with the GPS level I am at which is low. But realistically I know that Mapsource will be phased out someday so i would like to start trying it. I am fine running Mapsource with the (2) 76's that i have and the Nuvi.
    I have some simple questions that I hope someone will have the patience to answer.
    1. If I download Basecamp will it interfear with the Mapsource i am running now?
    2. If I download Basecamp will I have to choose when downloading a track between one or the other or just be on the program I choose to use,
    3. I have City Navigator on Mapsource can it be used on Basecamp or will I have to buy another CD to load.
    4. I have several tracks/routes probably around 70-80 saved. Can I open BaseCamp and then bring them up out of documents where I have them saved just like i do with Mapsource.

Simple questions to some but not to me.

I would like to pull the trigger on a Montana but with the durability of the 76 and the simplicity of the power cord and the docking station of the Montana that doesnt look durable to me i just cant do it.
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sticking with my 76CSx until I have to change units. I don't know how it works for Mapsource to access information that has been put onto the computer using Basecamp. I'm still more comfortable using Mapsource but am trying to use Basecamp, just because.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    From my VERY limited experience with Basecamp - I think if you create items in BC you are going to have to export them to a .gdb or .gpx file in order to open them with Mapsource.

Can someone confirm this?
  10. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    To share a file from BC to MS you do need to export/save it.

supported BC file types, * are MS supported file types

export/save;
    gpx*
    gdb*
    csv
    tcx
    txt*

Import/open;
    gdb*
    gpx*
    jpeg
    jpg
    kml
    kmz
    loc*
    tcx*

Bruce
  11. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes!

Export to a directory of your choice. BC defaults to exporting the file as *.gpx. You can select other file types if you want too.

daryl
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have imported maybe 50 old gdb files into BC. I found it important to create some kind of logical folder directory structure in the List area. One (nice?) feature of BC is that when you click on a folder name, BC displays the contents of every List in that folder.

One big difference between Mapsource and BC is that when you import a file, all the information (waypoints, routes, tracks) in the file goes into a master database and BC maintains Lists of things in that database. Your main interaction in BC is using Lists.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is my problem, how can I reverse it?

I just got a job updating updating BLM maps for the Western Mojave. Now I wish I had a 78 with 200 saved displayed tracks so I could see what I have done. The only way I have to do it is never clear my Active Log.
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:

Jerry,

For as many Garmin 60/76/78 units (and GPS in general) you have turned folks on to, Garmin should give you a Montana!

Bruce
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can solve that for you. We can enter into an agreement and I'll supply "Life Coach" services to you.

I can give you the ADV discount of $250/hr with a ¼ hr. minimum and consultations can be on the phone.

It will work best if you just accept it when I say "Thats a want, not a need". If you argue about it the costs will increase.:rofl
  16. Tudelum48

Oddometer:
    Well I downloaded BC and started trying to get familiar with it. I mostly use tracks. When putting different tracks together I always join them and might have 3000 points on one track. Then go back and devide them into 500 point sections probabaly like most do.
    I drew a couple of tracks for practice and cant find a JOIN function like in MS. Does BC have one?

I do like the function to make Routes from Tracks for my not Tracks friends.
  17. Tudelum48

Oddometer:
    Never mind. Went through the help function until I found it. Are you kidding me? this is suppose to be easier? Hold Ctrl key, click on tracks, go to advanced click on join tracks?
    Im sure it will be like most products, like some of it and dislike some of it?
  18. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Question for those that know.
    I take annual big trips and build long complicated routes using MS CN2011. My riding partners all use 276c gps units including myself. But here the pain in the butt every year. Because we all use different CN versions, my 2011, Bruces 2009, Mikes 2010 and Johns 2012 my 2011 built route will not run on their units "Route Does Not Match Maps" is the error. So, everyone has to rebuild the route on their own pc. A lot of work since these routes almost always have unmapped sections which require switching between auto routing and direct then back again once on a mapped fs road. Its a hassle. Id like to be able to build a mixed long route, email it and have themn be able to upload and run it on the 276c no matter what version mapset is installed on it.
    Will Basecamp make this happen ?

*Routes vs. tracks, I know using a track is the answer here for sharing however, we prefer routes on these trips simply for the added info they give on the gps when running.
  19. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    MS and BC both use the same map sets. Depending what maps are installed on your machine there MAY be a workaround. In the drop down at the top of BC I can choose which maps to use:
    [​IMG]

After you create the route in 2011 make a copy and switch to an earlier mapset and recalculate. I have no idea if this will work.

Second idea: Create your route in BC. BC has the ability to make a track from the route. Share that and have them open it in BC and create a route from the track. I have no idea if this will work either but I am guessing this is the better idea.

Are lifetime map updates available for your units? If I remember correctly $89 for the life of the unit. Bad thing is they aren't transferable to a new unit if your dies. Also Garmin can decide that older units are no longer supported and updates will no longer be available.

I like tracks because they are not modifiable by the GPS but I do understand the extra sauce from routes. We are planning to do a partial FW this fall and the group has three different models.

John
  20. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Thanks John, yea, a route like FW will be scrambled on a recalc. You guys are going to have to use a track of it or rebuild it on each of your pc's with your own CN.
    A hassle for sure.
    Have a great trip too btw, awesome, varied and historical route.