Basic GPS: Garmin 64ST or other recommendations?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ZappBranigan, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I'm not new to GPS by any means, but it looks like I will soon have to replace my old Magellan Meridian which I bought almost 14 years ago. I'm getting weird intermittent problems where it tells me the batteries are dead (when they're brand new.)

Anyway, it looks like the closest to my reliable old Meridian is the Garmin GPSMap 64ST.

My needs are really very basic: I like using the GPS to track my actual miles driven, to know where I am and to get a view of upcoming intersections, etc.

I have a Garmin touch screen GPS in my truck but I've tried it on the bike and it doesn't work for several reasons: 1. The touch screen is very difficult to use with gloves on. 2. It's not waterproof and 3. The color screen "washes out" in any kind of daylight.

I do NOT plan on using a GPS for "navigation" so I don't need turn-by-turn directions or anything like that.

So my question for the group is: Who uses a 64ST and do you think it would fit my needs as described above? If not, is there another reasonably priced (let's say $225 and under) GPS that would work as well?

I'm especially interested in things like battery life and readability of screen in daylight. I wish it was still possible to get a monochrome GPS instead of color, I think color sucks up too much battery power and is hard to read in daylight.

As I said above, I use my GPS more for "situational awareness" than for navigation as such so the cost of a navigation GPS would be wasted for me. It also has to be "glove friendly" which is why I like big buttons over touch screens.
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the 78 over the 64. The 64 lacks the heavy duty external power plug, the 78 has one (as did the 60)

Bruce
  3. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a 60csx for very similar usage to what you described. They're old now, but you can still get them second hand for not a big chunk of change.

Don't know much about the 78, but if it has the heavy duty style pigtail the 60 had, its worth looking into.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    they're$25-75 on eBay, why not just replace it ?
  5. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm replacing the Meridian because it's more or less at the end of its service life.

Spending even $25 for a "replacement" that is also likely at the end of its service life doesn't seem to make much sense.

EDITED TO ADD: On the other hand, you have stimulated my "inner cheapskate." My Meridian has been an exclusively Motorcycle-mounted GPS for at least 5 years, so it's had a pretty hard life.

And after all, I got almost 15 years out of this GPS, if I can get even 5 years out of a used Meridian for $25 or $30, that would probably be better than spending $200 on something that I don't actually NEED.

Hmmm....thanks for the reality check! :thumbup
    ohgood likes this.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

familiarity is nice.
    mcnut likes this.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a Gps64st to replace my Magellan sport trac.
    I haven't got to try it for bike use yet (winter now), but for hunting use, and ease of learning a new system I give it a thumbs up so far.
  9. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything to report on this now? I just ordered one.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, honestly I still haven't used it much. I did just use it this weekend though, in the car. I have the microSD street maps in the machine, so I just typed in an address and it directed me there. Coming home I already had "home" as a waypoint, so I simply lit that up and it directed me once again. A nice thing it does is make a single beep when you're nearing a turn, then a double beep when you're AT the turn. I liked how that works, but doubt I'll hear it on a bike.

I'm still happy with it! No complaints.
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't be using it for that anyway. More for the topo maps and tracking.
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the topo maps are really good, at least the ones for around here are!