Batopilas to Urique

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by greendogpictures, Jul 3, 2007.

1. greendogpictures

greendogpictures Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're getting ready for our third Copper Canyon adventure and would like to ride one of the few routes we haven't done previously, or at least we don't think we've done it. We're looking for info and hopefully GPS tracks for the route from Batopilas to Urique. Last year we did the route from Batopilas through Satevo, Rodeo, San Juan de Dios, crossed the river, went through Tubares and on to Alamosa and then worked our way back to Creel. We've heard rumors that there's a route that goes North, I believe, from Batopilas to Urique and is more direct than going South and then North again as we did last year. Anyone out there know if there really is another route and if so does anyone have tracks for that route ? Thanks for any info, we appreciate it.

Steve
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moved to the GPS forum, have a look around here, you might find what you're looking for :thumb
  3. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for Decoy on this board, he made that ride last year and may have saved his tracks, He for sure did not forget the ride.......:evil
  4. Virtual Rider

Virtual Rider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this ...
    http://mexicohorse.com/Backcountry%20Road%20Logs.htm

The link to a satelite image is worth checking out. I think it shows the rout you ask about in yellow (horse trail). I realize it's not a GPS rout but this probably implies that they have saved one at one time.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy,
    I just opened my handy dandy new Mexico GPS Atlas and it shows the road from Batopilas to Urique as 24.8 miles.

Second edit - the quote above is not correct. As I checked out the map further I saw another route leading more or less north to the railroad. The mileage from Batopilas through Urique to the railroad is 51.8 miles. You have to look closely when using the Atlas as the contour lines are light brown and the dirt roads are light dashed gry lines. Whatever. Just remember, this is all armchair adventuring. Still, it's fun stuff. Who knows, I might find myself on this road come October.

First Edit - If anyone can explain to me how to capture the mapview in Mapsource and post it, I'll do that.
  6. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I went looking for that trail link in '04. The road does end in Guapalaina, so you'd have to ford the Urique river somewhere.

I did speak to Micah True about it, and it is/was a horse/donkey trail that he uses to walk to/from Batopilas to Urique. I'm sure it's rideable on a smaller dirt bike, but Micah did recommend NOT doing it as it would certainly piss off some of the locals that use it on foot and donkey.

Last time I was there in '05 I could see evidence of some earthmoving - which I was told was a failed attempt to build a road, but funding evaporated. Funny how that happens.

I'd love to hear more about anything new that has developed there.
  7. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Press PRT SC, and then open a graphics editor (even paint) and then paste it in.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Here's a go

Attached Files:

9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    We looked for that trail last year unsuccessfully for about 4 hours. The locals assured us that is was for foot traffic only.

We could find it on our GPS just on the east side of Bato. There were dwellings on the other side of the river and I'm sure that trucks had been crossing there. :dunno

I even showed a few locals the map on the GPS and they said that it was definately not suitable for bikes. This could just be that they didn't want us out there though. :scratch
  10. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    On the Batopilas side, the rideable part dies up at the airport (for flying what?) :augie Los Alisos? :scratch

I've seen pics of the foot path before. You'd want a Scorpa, and much of it is across family ranches and such. Might not be welcome anyway....
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

:nod You get a certain vibe from some guys down there when they are sending you the signal to move on. :lol2

It was just frustrating to see the direct route over the mountain, trying to find it, and ended up not getting out of town until after noon but still made Justin's place at Ceracaui right at dark. ( It was the end of Dec and the days were short.)

What was funny was after losing faith in the GPS because of this back and forth up the mountain to the west and then back to town crap for four hours, we went in search of a paper map. After looking and asking evrywhere, we find a place off the plaza that has a huge MAPS and GUIDE sign painted on the outside wall. We park and go in. She says to me that she sells no maps, and tries to sell me a photo book of the canyon. :baldy :poser
  12. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :evil Steve:

There isn´t yet no road direct to Urique !, the roads you see on your left j
    ust before arriving to Bato that climb the mountain side END to several small Ranchos and small mines.

From the Urique side going to Guapalainas ( down river ) they are making the road to Bato and also from Satevó going up the mountain they are working so eventually they meet from either side, so to get to Urique you HAVE to pass by TUBARES , PIEDRAS VERDES, MESA DE ARTURO and down to URIQUE and back out again.

I will be at Creel next week (Chabochis Motorally ), my name is Arturo Macías and be glad to aid concerning the Sierra roads ( been there since 72 ):clap I will stay at Villa Mexicana

Arturo
  13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The previous mileages are BS, and nothing has changed in that regard. :D

It's 35 to the river and another 55 to Urique.
  14. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly gonna give it a go in February, I know they do giuded horse back tours on it. If I get a negative vibe then sure I'll turn around, but I have to try!!!! I've seen a map that shows another one or two runways past Los aliso going towards Urique. How where they built if there are no roads. Maybe by mule and hombres huh?
    If they want to build a road there then I wonder why it would piss folks off to see a moto going through, might be the crops talking there.

15. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    Arturo, since you know the area well would I be able to ride to the rim of CC around the 1st of January on a Ducati ?
    Don't want to ride any gravel, well I do but not on my monster....
    One guy I have swapped some emails with says that the passes get screwed up at this time of the year and it is inadvisable, especially on a street bike. PM me some info if you will

16. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky Hola Gas pipe.

I just got back from there. Stayed at Urique with Sr. José Quintana and got some info and still no such road, only the hike trail, not even for mountain bikes !, the promise is that for this year it will be, but knowing our politician folks that is WHEN ????..

There is a new road that goes, short cuts the distance from Bato to Tubares and passes through the property of the Sauzal mine at Tubares and passing UP river the Urique river depends, of the water flow, by truck more or less 1 and half hour, but you still have to go to Piedras Verdes, Mesa de Arturo and down hill to Urique. That route I highly recommend it. ( Bato--Satevó--Rodeo--Tubares-Piedras Verdes--Mesa de Arturo--Urique )

While you arrive at Piedras Verdes there is a sign saying TO BAHUICHIVO, that is to avoid passers , passing through the mine instalations, ignore that sign and pass through the mine, NO PROBLEMA ,just wave , and smile.

Coming the opposite way:, just passing el pueblito de P. Verdes before the mine the sign says to CHOIX.. Just remember P. Verdes is a mining area, such as Urique, Batopilas, Uruachi, Chinipas, Maguarichi.

:freaky Tury--Arturo
  17. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Hola Tury,

I have never been on the mine road. I guess I need to take another trip.

La Pandilla Terraceria Vive Otra Vez - En el Ano Dos Mil y Ocho.

I want to ride the road you spoke of from Maguarichi to Uruachi also. It sounds like a nice week exploring a beautiful place.

Feliz Navidad, amigo, y hasta que el ano que viene.

Bruce

18. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

New road to Tubares??? Where would one get on this new rd???
    Does anyone know the rd that continues downstream from Satevo? I assumed this was another longer way to Tubares with more river crossings than the Rodeo route.

One would assume that if "They" were really working on a new rd from Bato to Urique you would surely see evidence from the Guapalaina side, unless they plan to finish up there at the very end of construction.

Man I can't wait to get down there with the 640, fresh tires, and unlimited time!!!!!!! Come on February!!!!!!!!!
  19. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arturo (and others),

I was there in November and drove that route from Bato to Cerocahui (didn't go down to Urique this time).
    And just like you say, coming out of Tubares we turned right on going towards El Sauzal. But we were simply not allowed to enter the mine area, no way.
    We got the the gate, talked with the friendly guards (they really were friendly) but absolutely no entry in there.
    So we had to turn around, drive back to the fork on that road and proceed up the "left" fork which EVENTUALLY does get to Mesa de Arturo.

I'm really interested to know how to gain access to/through the main. For us, the gain was firmly locked (just driving through with a smile and wave was not an option) and it was very clear they were not going to let us in.

Along the way I spent about 1 hour combined helping some stranded locals (flat tires, broken down vehicle), and also since it was my first time though that route I did quite a bit stopping to read the terrain and ponder "where now..".
    With all that time wasted it took ~11 hours to get through there. On a Toyota 4Runner.

--
    Mikko

20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    How many miles was it from the gate at the mine back to the fork??? The fork your talking about, thats the fork close to the bridge at Tubares??? Coming from Bato, if you turn left at that fork cross the bridge, your heading towrds Choix..
    I just don't remeber any other fork on that rd before the mine, the route I took went right by a mine but there was no gate or anything. Seemed like it was just before Mesa Arturo. Its a little fuzzy.