Batopilas to Urique

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by greendogpictures, Jul 3, 2007.

1. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't remember the miles, but I think it took about 20min to drive back to the fork. And I was bit pissed about having to back-track so it was 20min at haul-ass speed.
    That road (from Choix) to El Sauzal is in super good condition. It's a wide, smooth, gravel road. So the speeds on that section are not indicative of the average speed say, from El Rodea to Tubares.

Different fork.
    We popped out from the "boonies" onto the Choix - El Sauzal road on north side of the big bridge. Very close to the bridge, there was also one of those local little stores right there...
    Then some miles (15min?) up the road (kind of turning left when coming from the "boonies" road) and there was a big, clear T-intersection. Had to choose left or right.
    Right fork went to the mine, gate, no access, have to turn back.
    Left side took us eventually to Mesa de Arturo. But that was a looooong drive.

Ah, I remember that other mine too. That one is much, much closer to M. de Arturo.
    We didn't get that very close but I did see it looking left from the road.

The "fork" I'm talking about is quite close to Tubares. You must have gone through there in hurry and didn't even notice the other road going to the right.
    --
    Mikko
  2. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's about 7 miles to the mine. When you are going up the road toward the mine there is a sign on the right that says "Cuesta Colorado". That road MAY skirt the mine.

Also note that from Cuesta Colorado some maps show a brecha to Urique. It looks like about 14 mi. as the crow flies.
  3. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Cuesta Colorad"... I remember seeing that somewhere there.
    That was one of the spots where we stopped to think "I wonder where that goes...?" :-)

So many roads, so little time.

--
    Mikko
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The split past Tubares where the 'right' goes to the mine and left to P Verde about 6.5 miles from the bridge, IIRC.

There's a newish bypass at P Verde, a newly graded road on the other side of the creek that bypasses the mine, just to avoid mine operations. info from Oct...
  5. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you take the new way? What was it like?

In Dec we stayed on the orig road but there was a lot of activity on it.

In Green Rocks Tury talked to the locals and they weren't too enthusiastic about the bypass. I'm not sure why, but it might be a "turf" issue.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I went thru PV 4 times back in Oct (might have been 3 times, dunno). The first 2-3 times were thru the mine area. I took the wrong route the 1st trip going south, taking the bypass split to the right that actually goes back north and on the other side of the creek, up high on the hillside. Only took a 1/4 mile or so before I realized that it was too freshly graded and without fresh traffic.

The last time, going North, ran into heavy D8 work that had blocked the regular mine road to the south (but past the split/route around) with massive rocks and dirt and had to back track just a 1/4 mile or so to take the new bypass.

Maybe they were just moving the Earth/World (was cool looking) to a different location, but it was solidly blocked at that time. The bypass was OK, but still freshly graded with some mild loose stuff, not too bad.

Coming from the North (going South), the bypass road is at the little creek crossing road to the right, just as you start to leave town, downhill. Dogs like to guard that intersection...:D

....edit: I bet that new bypass road gets washed out pretty easily. It's steeper than the regular through-the-mine road...and it's a bit longer too. That might be why they're pissed...dunno.
  7. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton Hola Enduro -ince

Coming from Bato, at Tubares Ranchito, on the north side of the river, have to cross a big bridge ( that is on your left) that leads to Choix, but following the road at exactly 900 mts there is a creeck crossing with almost no water except on rain and at 2 kms from threre you encounter a fork to the right that takes to the Sauzal mine 9 kms.

You cannot cross the mine area !!

The mine you crossed is at PIEDRAS VERDES, but they might, in the near future won´t let by passers through, only by the detour, coming from Piedras Verdes it says A BAHUICHIVO and on the opposite direction it says a CHOIX.
    Read Charlie´s Coon update " SMALL BIKES BIG CANYONS.

We were there last December

Tury:eek1
  8. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear They are pissed, first of all the original road is through the mine, second the by pass is LONGER , and 3thd, more difficult,, no maintenance:clap
  9. greendogpictures

greendogpictures Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Arturo and all,

Sorry for not replying to any of the posts you guys put up... My original post was moved to a different forum so I lost track of it and our trip in Oct. 07' was postponed to this year so I never checked back to see what everyone had to say. So sorry...

Thanks to everyone that did post and thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Best Wishes,

Steve

10. SeabeeLT

SeabeeLT Seabee

Oddometer:
    greendogpics,

I'm transfering to California late summer, and have may have some time off for a trip to Mexico. When are you guys heading to Copper? This will be my first trip to the canyon.

Ronnie
  11. greendogpictures

Oddometer:
    Not until the end of October... Will be crossing the border around the 26 of Oct. until Nov. 8th or 9th.. Working on a documentary film about the canyon and motorcycling in the canyon.

Steve

12. SeabeeLT

SeabeeLT Seabee

Oddometer:
    How many riders are there in your group? if you need an additional team mate, just let me know. I may be able to request leave from my commander for those days. By the way, I'm a fluent Spanish speaker.
  13. greendogpictures

Oddometer:
    Hey Seabee,

We usually go down there with 6 riders but this year there may only be 4 of us, not sure at the moment, still waiting on comittments from two riders. We don't usually know for sure until about three weeks prior to the trip. Since we're all photographers our schedules are very sporatic, we sometimes get last minute assignments that create scheduling issues. We try to keep the group fairly small as this helps with keeping up with who's made the last turn and who's still behind and catching up. We're all good riders with lots of offroad experience and we ride well together as we've done many trips together over the years. Our group has a couple of riders who like to be out front and ride pretty hard, the rest of the group likes to take it easy, ride at a slower pace, enjoy the scenery and the culture even though we've seen it several times already. At this point there are four of us for sure.

Keep in touch,

Steve

14. SeabeeLT

SeabeeLT Seabee

Oddometer:
    sure... I will keep in touch. You guys sound like an experienced group. I would love to learn from you guys. I've been riding motorcycles for 15 years, but never dual sports. This is my fist year with the dual bikes. I will be deploying to Iraq next year, and I want to do a copper canyon trip before going to the sand box.
  15. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola SeabeeLT:

open www.chabochismotorally.com:deal . In case you can´t ride on the dates of November for sure there will be to whom you can do ! Any info you need I´ll gladly hand it to you:clap