Battery Tender Chargers - No DeSulfinate Options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by River-Runner, Nov 8, 2019.

1. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for another Battery Trickle Charger and only some of the new ones appear to list the desulfinate feature? The Battery Minders do offer this option.

Has this feature been found not be beneficial or dangerous as all vendors are not offering it?
  2. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

Nothing 100 hours of internet reading to make it clear as mud.
    avocadofarmer likes this.
  3. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My CTEK has that cycle and more. My Battery tenders do not. They are great until they die which has been my problem 4-5 times. Also the warranty can be less than you'd hoped for if the one you bought was older stock cause they look at the date codes when I lost my receipt or bought new on ebay. I have a Marinco(off Amazon) that is dual voltage and has nice features BT doesn't have but no desulph feature.
    If only one of the several I own have that feature I'm OK as it's not a must do on every battery very often,etc..
    My larger problem battery is my off grid sawmill but a full size battery so onery to tote to a maintainer location. It recharges off the Kohler engine but also sits around when not used.
  6. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eakins likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep mine really makes the rounds in the winter rotating thru my bikes about once a month. I don't winterize them as I ride them all occasionally. Works great to keep all 5 of my moto batteries in tip top shape.

This charger and blue marine Stabil always in the gas are my winter tools to keep my machines running great.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Make sure at times to let it run its full charge procedure and stay connected for 24hrs or so...until the light stops blinking.
  9. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have separate Battery Tenders on all bikes, and they run 24/7. This works very well, and the 2009 and 2010 bikes still have their factory original batteries that have given no trouble. They are plugged in immediately when the bikes are parked.

Sulfation does not occur if the battery is kept fully charged, and that's one reason for their long life.
  10. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I seem to have a lot fewer battery problems than most people. I keep my bikes on basic battery maintainers like "Battery Tender" and "Battery Minder" year 'round. I tend to think the whole de-sulfating thing just might be a bit of marketing hooey, but I welcome evidence to the contrary.
  11. 2StrokesForever

2StrokesForever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My .02:

I have three of the BatteryMINDER Maintainers/(alleged Desulphators). I got them through Northern Tool. IIRC, they were $49.99, marked down to $24.99--and that was a sale I saw fairly frequently. (I'm also one of their "Club Members" or whatever, so that does give access to better sales--not sure if that applies here.)

Anyway, aside from their labels being darker colored, they look like this one:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

I just realized the linked one has the remote temp sensor option, but mine don't. It's not needed if the unit is at the same temps as the battery. I like that mine and the linked one both charge at only 1amp, as some I've seen charge at 1.5amp.

While I'm not sure if this is the exact part number, I could check, if anyone's interested. But I don't have much experience with them, having used them only infrequently, until recently.

And I can't vouch for whether or not the desulphation function actually works, I DID learn two not-great things about these types of "smart chargers."

1. When the battery is under 10.6v (IIRC), due to the MINDER's circuitry, it will NOT put energy into the battery. Period. The battery must first be charged with an old school charger that "hums" when you plug it in (IME) or possibly one of the pricey, do-all combination units I read about, with 6v/12v/Jump or "Boost" start, and a range of charging amps. (And of course those oldies can charge at a "Trickle Charge" rate which, IME, is 2amps, at the lowest. You want to bring a dead or really dead battery back up as slowly as possible, like on a 2amp "trickle.")

But, once you get enough juice back (10.6v) the BatteryMINDER's two lights will go SOLID red and SOLID green. This is good, as it means it's charging. (Once fully charged, the red light stays SOLID butr the green light starts flashing, steadily, letting you know it's (allegedly) in "maintenance mode" where the blessed desulphation is said to occur. You can also push a button to go into "Maintenance," but I don't see the point, as it won't do "Maintenance" until it's fully charged anyway, so I dunno....

2. The lights will easily fool you (well, they did me) IF the battery is below 10.6v--or completely dead, as mine was. Because when hooked up like this, the lights indicate that the (actually, dead) battery is good and is already in "maintenance." In reality, nothing's going into the battery--as I found out, months later, the first time I used it.

So that''s the fairly-short version. I need about three more units but, after seeing these capacitor problems in the BatteryTENDER, Jr. models, I think I'll stick with these MINDERS. But I know capacitors can cause a lot of problems--like make the ECU in Jeep YJ's stop running. A new computer is in the hundreds, but the capacitor is only $5. So says the interwebs--haven't had the pleasure with my Jeeps yet. They don't run for other reasons. ;-)

I also bought the kits to make it possible to hardwire the Minder's optional on-board harness to the battery on the vehicle, so you can just plug/unplug. Worth it.