Battery tending without power in the shed, power pack tender?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JohnnyADV13, Dec 1, 2019.

1. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My G650GS has an AGM Battery. I have the little plug on the side for a tender. It’s a good battery. I put it in the shed just now, which is a good distance from the house. First snow.

If I do not *want* to take the battery out, is there a decent portable power pack tender?

Or just get a power pack and plug in a tender?

I might want to use the bike and soon a buddy is going to take it for while to service it for me. That is why I don’t want to remove the battery.

solar looks like too much work.

let me know what you’re doing

Thanks!!!
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    If your buddy is picking up the bike soon, I wouldn't worry about a tender, provided you have a good battery. If it goes dead without a tender in a month or two, it ought to be replaced anyway.

Keep life simple:-)
    renogeorge, sieg and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Dog, it’s a good battery. Hopefully I’ll get it worked out with him. He’s going to service it and put it in his stable for a month or 2 probably.

I’d still like a tender out there. My ruminating !!! Nothing is simple for me.
  4. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solar panel from harbor freight is cheap and plugs into SAE. Or maybe you could have a deep cycle battery out there to run a tender from... should be a very low power draw
  5. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there are solar tenders on Amazon, I wonder how they do. I guess it’s not worth doing unless you’re going to do it right.

I’ll probably take it out.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The batteries in my boat were still going strong after ten years. The last five of those years with a Battery Tender solar panel feeding them. There might be better stuff out there by now. Amazon says I bought it in 2013. But I know for a fact the controller in these works like it is supposed to and they really are OK to leave outside in rain, snow and salt water.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...argid=aud-801738734305:pla-436302373665&psc=1
    JohnnyADV13 and Bitingdog like this.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Extension cords are pretty cheap and simple
    North ride, Bitingdog and sieg like this.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    A small solar panel @ about 500mw would do nicely if you live in a sunny area, a 1w would work a bit better if there's many overcast days. I left a camper hooked up to one for over a year untouched, after 14 mos it fired up like it had been run the week before.
    JohnnyADV13 and Bitingdog like this.
  9. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why can't you just run an extension cord to the shed? :dunno
    Bucho likes this.
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why run a battery tender with a battery....just set a large battery next to it and rig a patch cord.
  11. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know I could do that. Pretty simply solution. I’ll look it up. Im no mechanic. I’m just learning all of the maintenance. It’s my first bike. Love my GS.
  12. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude, I wish!! Here’s the problem...

I’m at my dad’s place and he’s nutty about stuff like that. Or just nuts period. Even a 200 foot outdoor extension cord is cheap on Amazon. No dice with the old man though. :loco
  13. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Staying with my elderly folks right now, and the old man won’t have it. :dunno
  14. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I need. There is an ultra bright LED motion light in the shed with it’s own small solar panel. It works well, even in winter.

Run the line inside and done.

Thank You.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I understand your issue with the battery location, I have the same bike.

Get a lithium battery jumper pack, nice to have for multiple reasons. Good ones have a light and USB ports too.

You'll get a clip on style jumper cable with EC5 type connector at the battery end. Not needed here but usefull in the future.

Now get an EC5 pigtail. eBay or RC plane supply shop. Get one with decent length to run out from the battery to an open location. Make sure the EC5 end is the opposite of your battery pack.

Now you have a proper jumper wire and charger wire to connect that battery. I think if you leave it connected it will raise the volts if the bike battery? But I know you can jump it if needed.

Then you can get an EC5 to SAE adapter to connect a Tender in the future. You can't jump start via thin SAE wires but you sure can with an EC5 pig tail.

You can even then get an extension EC5 to EC5 cord with the right ends. Bring that cord and your clip on battery end from your lithium and now you can jump start other bikes.

I know several touring groups who all have the same EC5 pigtails on their battery. They just bring 1 extension EC5 to EC5 cable and anyone can instantly jump anyone else in seconds. Essential touring setup with a friend IMO and that EC5 to SAE adapter gets you back to fast Tender charging.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Man that's wierd. He won't let you even run a cable out there every few weeks for a few hours?

You know you should not leave a Tender connected the whole time, degrades the battery. Just plug it in and top it up every few weeks. The battery is safe from freezing as long as the voltage is high enough.
    JohnnyADV13 likes this.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Depends on the tender, with a smart tender that isn't an issue. Plenty of generators and emergency battery systems that sit for years with smart tenders hooked up to them. A cheap $19 HF tender will do exactly as you described though.
  18. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    The Li-Ion jump pack I have (the one from Costco) will not supply 12v for more than a minute. If you leave it hooked up it will just timeout. But it will supply 5V USB power until it runs out.
    I like the cheap harbor freight solar panel suggestion. The little one you are supposed to put on your dashboard, right?
    RideFreak likes this.
  19. Burner25

Burner25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a £24 ,20w solar panel and charge controller of eBay .
    Connected it to a storage battery and then to the bike with optimate cable. It took 20mins to set up.
    Works like a dream, easy!
  20. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    eakins, that sounds genius, but a lot for me to wrap my head around.

GreatDog mentioned the Battery Tender brand Solar Tender. a panel with a control unit attached and a long cord for the plug on the bike. It’s $65 on Amazon. Seems like he loves the thing. Probably just fine for me.

And true the good ones cycle the battery. It’s plugged in all the time.

I had not thought about running the extension cord for a couple of hours. I don’t think he’d like that either. Paranoid.

I’ll see if my buddy is going to pick up the bike, and do that service for me. He’ll probably let it sit in his stable until March for me.

This turned into a good thread. You’re nice folks.