Battle Scooters Favorite Regular Bikes

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Blue&Yellow, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Battle scooter members are a fairly diverse and interesting bunch of folks who for one reason or another have come to ride scooters. Some of us have plenty of skin the game and have ridden a lot of bikes while others are just starting out and a scooter might be their first motorized two-wheeler. So fairly diverse backgrounds, perhaps more so than you find in other rider circles.

I had an idea that it might be fun to ask what other two-wheeled vehicles you rate and either own, would like to own or have be impressed by during a demo ride or other. Try to keep it to first hand experiences and not just about looks or specs, but bikes you've ridden and maybe could see yourself owning.

Me myself I've been riding for almost 20 years and I've tried nearly every type of bike and riding along the way. Along the way I've also been into mountain biking and these days I've skipped all enduro and mx riding and I'm 100% mtb when it comes to "off-road riding". I still manage to find myself on an enduro bike from time to time but I don't own one. This is pretty free-form but here goes for my part:

Favorite fun middleweight nakeds: Suzuki SV650, any naked KTM 390-890, Yamaha MT-03 and MT-07, Triumph Street Triple R. (I prefer the SV650 with a nice exhaust to nearly any Ducati Monster, sue me).

Favorite fun big naked: I actually prefer a bit less horsepower on the road but I rate the Triumph Speed Triple R, Yamaha MT-09 and Aprilia Tuono Factory 1000R.

Favorite touring bike: Honda NC750XD with some extras bolted on (yes, really). Relaxed and fuel efficient. 55bhp is plenty with this torque curve. I don't like touring on big and heavy bikes, I stick to the backroads and don't need +1000cc power, weight or running costs.

Favorite middleweight sport bike: Hmm, not a big sport bike guy and haven't ridden a ton of them but I rate the Suzuki GSX-R 750. That bikes has a nice and planted smooth feel to it. Not a fan of Honda in this segment, too clinical for me.

Favorite big sport bike: I don't really like big sports bikes (too much for public roads imho) but the BMW S1000RR is very impressive.

Favorite cruiser: Doesn't interest me but if I had to get one it would be Japanese and under 1000cc.

Favorite learner/beginner bikes: Suzuki DRZ-400, Kawasaki Ninja 300, smaller BMW models like the 700 and 750 GS. Honda CB500X.

Favorite big adventure bike:
    Used to be the KTM990 but now it's the Honda Africa Twin and nothing else on the market even comes close imho. Think carefully about the DCT option for this category of bike though, it has pros and cons.

Favorite enduro/dirt bike: Anything KTM or Yamaha. A 250cc 4-stroke is plenty for me, I'm not really one to chase adrenaline highs but I like exploring.

Would like to try: The new Goldwing, just for a laugh. New Ducati V-twin Supersport. KTM 790 Adventure. Honda CRF250L Rally.

I personally don't rate: BMW Boxers, I think they're boring. Does nothing for me. Harleys.
    tastroman likes this.
  2. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The early buell thunderbolts and airhead bmws.
  3. rdhood

rdhood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Other two wheeled vehicles I own include a Niner one 9 single speed mountain bike and Turner sultan FS 1x11 mountain bike
    Bar None likes this.
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did we have this thread before?

I usually get a new bike every year.

Always a new one to love.

IMG_20191113_224131.jpg
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    BS (Before Scooters), the bikes I enjoyed most were the ones that made your "nope" list: Harleys and BMW boxers. Nothing boring about any of 'em I owned. For a lot of years, much of our riding was touring. The four Goldwings we had were plenty capable, as well. As far as a list... yeah, I've had some favorites, but that seems to be an individual taste thing.

Like Chillis, I used to treat myself to a new bike every year or two. These days, I find I am quite content on an older used scooter. I am just happy to be out riding. :ricky
    OldCoot, tastroman, DandyDoug and 3 others like this.
  6. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
    A few of my favorites from the past 50 years of riding. Nothing exotic, just appliances and I kept them a long time;

'68? Sears 106 (the first) - bye, bye bicycle
    '73 Honda CB350 (HS graduation)
    '80 Honda CX500 Custom (my bulletproof traveling bike while single)
    '85 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade ("Granny's Rocker" due to wife's habit of falling asleep on it)
    '06 Triumph Bonneville America (still own and ride)

There were others (mostly UJM and a few 70's era dirt bikes), but these always held a special place and stayed the longest.

There would be a V-Strom in there, but MiniWife really is mini and couldn't reach the high seat. An HD would have been there between '73 and '80, but for AMF and a Road King in '06, if not for a stupid salesman who thought HD ownership required female passengers to know how to lift their shirts. You sure lost that sale Bud! If an early airhead showed up now, I would really be tempted. But the reality is that scooters are far more practical for most of the riding I do now.
    Blue&Yellow likes this.
  7. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers Scared shiftless ! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every “regular” bike I owned was my favorite at the time.

3 NSHS bikes are:

Yamaha SRX 600

Buell S3T

BMW F650 (I so wanted to hoop a 17 on the front)
    Blue&Yellow and Chillis like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You should look for the belt drive cast wheeled version, F650CS or whatever it was called. Looked funky but I always wanted one as well. Would have been uncatchable on a tight paved road.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    SRX600, still one of my all time favorites. Did an unofficial saddle sore 1000 on one.
  10. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMWR1100R
    Honda Shadow Aero 750
    Yamaha VStar 650
    Suzuki C50T

Loved them all, but my favorite was the C50T. I'd still be on it but for ankle and knee issues and leg cramping which make manual shifting difficult.
  11. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Vulcan 750
    Harley Sportster
    Honda Rebel 250
    Yamaha XT225
    OldCoot likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned a bunch of motorcycles. I enjoyed all of them but there were some that really stood out.

The first motorcycle I rode was a friends Sears 106, no it didn't belong to @MiniBike

In 1985 I bought my first "dream bike", a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 It was the only "superbike" I have owned.

My FJ1100 at Big Bear Lake in CA.

[​IMG]

On of my favorite bikes to this day was my 89 Kawasaki EX500. I had it for 10 years and 66,000 miles. Here is is in Colorado in 1997.

[​IMG]

I put 87,000 miles on my 1995 BMW R1100GS. This pic was taken in Maine in around 1999.

[​IMG]

Another favorite and the bike that got me into dual sport riding was my 2000 Yamaha XT350. It was also a great sportbike on tight, twisty roads.

[​IMG]

I recently sold my 2005 KLR650 after over

43,000 miles. Here it was on the White Rim Trail in Utah in 2005.

[​IMG]

The only motorcycle I currently own is a 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 that I bought new in 2014 at a big discount. Here it is on the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.

[​IMG]

My next bike is likely to be a Kawasaki KLX250.

I owned a bunch of other bikes besides the ones listed above. All of them are in my ride report here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Out of all the bikes I owned? That's actually not easy...

I'd say:

Naked:1999 Triumph Speed Triple (never got so many speeding tickets in so little time)
    Sport: 2002 Honda CBR954RR
    Small bike: 2012 CBR250R
    Dual sport: 2005 BMW F650GS (though I hesitated between my 1997 F650 and my 2000 R1150GS). Honestly, I've had a love/ hate relationship with the BMW 650 single. I've owned almost every version of it and sometimes the same bike multiple times. But I'm done now. I moved on.
    Touring: 2008 Honda Gold Wing

I'm not a cruiser guy and Harley does nothing for me. I did my part and owned one for a very short time. Pass. My dream bike is a 1998 Ducati 900SS FE. Too scared to actually own one. But those looks! Best looking bike ever IMO. Never rode one but test rode a 1999 Ducati 900SS. The riding position was pretty extreme. After 2 GROMs and 1 Monkey, I still have a soft spot for the Honda minibikes. I love them! May be that CT125 will scratch my itch once and for all.

I've owned the following scooters:
    Aprilia Scarabeo 150
    Gilera Runner 180 FXR
    Yamaha Majesty 400
    Yamaha Tmax 500
    Honda PCX150 (twice)
    Vespa Sprint 150
    Honda Zoomer X
    Honda X ADV 750

If I had to choose my favorite scooter out of everything I've owned I would pick the PCX150. Yup.
    Blue&Yellow likes this.
  14. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At last count, I've owned 110 two wheelers, 14 were scooters.
    My all time favorite cruiser, Yamaha XT350
    favorite long haul tourer, Yamaha XT350
    favorite twisty road bike, Yamaha XT 350
    favorite dual sport, Yamaha XT350
    All time favorite bike, Yamaha XT350
    I still own the bike but this year didn't tag it because my right leg isn't really up to starting the bike. Out of the 400K miles I have on two wheels, 1 in every four were on the XT that I call the "Hatchet".
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Buell Ulysses that taught me to love torque over hp and I currently own a Royal Enfield Himalayan that's kind of like a scooter that can handle some dirt. The favorite bike I've owned to date was a Honda Elite 250, my 1st scooter. It taught me to simply enjoy the ride.
    Yellow Jacket, Chillis and klaviator like this.
  16. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    BMW R1100S. BMW boxers are an acquired taste and you need some miles on one to appreciate what makes them great. For me the R1100S has been best of breed but they all have their virtues.

Yamaha WR250R. Good on dirt, works on street, willing and reliable little motor; regret selling.

Old-style Kawi Ninja 250EX. Bought dirt cheap as a commuter/beater; came to respect it as a great little machine.
    Blue&Yellow and klaviator like this.
  17. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is quite impressive! I am still up for adoption... wife not included!

I'm sensing a trend here. :hmmmmm
    klaviator likes this.
  18. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot your cubs..... HOW COULD YOU!! Panda still sleeps with a pic of you under his pillow!
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I don’t really think of the Super Cub as a scooter.

Panda Cub! Noooo! Say it ain’t so!

Last time I went to Monterrey (over a year ago) it was still on display at the Honda dealership. I need to go back and check.
  20. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would own a Himalayan but I can barely get on one, and a year from now probably won't be able to, so it wouldn't be a good investment.
    Oilhed, DandyDoug and tastroman like this.