Bavaria and surroundings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by franken, Apr 4, 2018.

1. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    so we can see some light at the end of the covid-19-tunnel. No, not realy. It's still a virus, and it is sitll here. But -- to borders open these days around us.
    Yes - they need the tourists.
    So from tomorrow on i can travel to Austria, switzerland, Italy and so on without control. (like it was before Covid-19). But there are still restrictions with Restaurants, Hotel and so on.
    So yesterday i did a very long tour to "Baden-Würtenberg". Highlights have been Sigmaringen, Stetten am kalten Markt, Blaustein and Ulm. (And the landscape ond the beautyful roads). :-)

So let's go.

Map of the tour:
    [​IMG]

Profile of the tour
    [​IMG]

Starting late as most times - first on small roads to Weilheim and on to Landsberg/ Lech. After nearly one week of rain - weather was great.

[​IMG]
    view from Landsberg/ Lech to the Alps - (a rare view). Zugspitze in Center.

[​IMG]
    Air Force Area Landsberg/ Lech. Transall Planes based here (used for Transport-issues).

Took the "Autobahn" from Landsberg to Memmingen. Thats good for making some km. Cruise-Control set to 160 km/h and go (on the slow lane mostly). Fast lane the most at 200 km/h. (was not soooo much traffic this day).

[​IMG]
    From Memmingen followed first a track created with kurviger.de. The cross (near a farm) says: "pray the lord"

[​IMG]
    church nearby. The "nice" thing in this area - very green, not so much Cities. Nice hills. Great views.

[​IMG]
    typical farm house in this area. (I liked the yellow door). Sign says something about good milk.

[​IMG]
    some km later - what a surprise - a "cool" Museum. Erwin Hymer Museum at Bad Waldsee. Hymer - the entire world of Motorhoming. (Link)

[​IMG]
    Next stop - Chateau Altshausen. (behind me at this pic)

[​IMG]
    some work in progress at the moment.

[​IMG]
    a police station is placed in the right part of the chateau.

[​IMG]
    outisde Altshausen - farmer collected hay - a good chance for him.

[​IMG]
    and close to me - success. (looks like a poor mouse).
    So I'm north of lake Konstanz in this area - and now went more north. Next...

[​IMG]
    Sigmaringen - bridge over the (young) ....

[​IMG]
    Danube river (Donau).
    and the highlight so far ...

[​IMG]
    a Lidl-shop. -- no :-) ... Hohenzollern Palace Sigmaringen. Germanys second largest City Castle. (Link)
    Couldn't visit it - will reopen next week. (Covid-thing as you all know).

So close to Sigmaringen is a little town with some personal history. Stetten am kalten Markt (direct trans. ;.) Stetten at the cold market. :-)

[​IMG]
    view to the apls (round 100 km away from here) - Hard to see on this pic - was better in real.

[​IMG]
    Stetten am kalten Markt - military training area - also know by soldiers as Stetten am kalten Arsch. (cold ass). I was here for a pre training of a NATO-exercise in Danmark in the early 90's. (close befor the war in Yogoslavia).
    I also could remember a very nice curvy road ftom Ulm to here - which i rode last with my Kawaski 750 GPX.
    ( :-) reading the last to sentences -- do young people know a Kawa GPX? or Jugoslavia? :-) -- I'm getting old. :-)

[​IMG]
    Next cool thing - Gewandhausmuseum Inneringen. Sorry, no engl. link for this. Shows historical clothing.

[​IMG]
    the brewery next door. ;-)

Some km later -- next highlight.

[​IMG]
    Zwiefalten Abbey - (Link) -- Lots of tourist there - huge guesthous and a brewery.

[​IMG]
    passing the river Danube again. House near the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Donau (Danube river) - 2nd longest river in Europe. (Ending at the Black sea - Link)

[​IMG]
    Close to Blaustein - typical valley at "Schwäbische Alb". Like in Fanconia, good area for free climbing. (UNESCO Link)

[​IMG]
    Blaustein (Close to Ulm)
    why going to Blaustein - because of the Blautopf (sorry no photo this time) Link

So then passed Ulm (no time for pictures) and the highest church tower in the world. (Ulmer Minster Link here). Ulm is a very nice town. Specialy the old town and the area along the danube river. (Should make a Ulm special next.. :-) )

From Ulm took the Highway to reach Landsberg/ Lech in one hour and something.. (some sections with speed limit 120 km/h, mostly no limit. :-) )
    At Landsberg i decided to make some xtra km.

[​IMG]
    Close to lake Ammersee. View to the alps. Shadows getting longer. :-)

[​IMG]
    same pic - zoomed to the church.

[​IMG]
    the road up at the other side - last look to lake Ammersee. The little dot at the left side - a ballon.

[​IMG]
    Girafes and sheeps. (and a wolf in a sheep skin) :-)
    Buchheim Museum Lake Starnberg.

[​IMG]
    5 km later - south end lake Starnberg - Church of Seeshaupt. Blomberg and Zwiesel mountain.

[​IMG]
    pano-look.

[​IMG]
    and one more zoomed. :-) Bad Tölz mountains in the Background.

[​IMG]
    Close to home (5 km to go) - my best viewpoint at Zist.

[​IMG]
    Zugspitze in last light. (This day - too much tourist from Munic and around. No Parking -they stoped the visitors early).

[​IMG]
    sunset over a KTM

[​IMG]
    and a last close-up :-)

10 min later i was back home.

to be continued ...
    have fun

Andreas
    NSFW, MadRider777, eaglescan and 6 others like this.
  2. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

not a planed tour today. :-) Had to go north of Munic, because we bought a trailer. So i had to put the KTM on the trailer to see if everything is in the right place and size.
    After that - i was looking around a bit. So....

here's the map:

[​IMG]

and the profile:

[​IMG]

Wörmann is a huge dealer for trailer in the north of muich - close to Dachau. Last week we fixed the deal, and i told the sales man that i will come with my KTM to adjust the wheel rocker(?).
    But the crew didn't know that i will come today - so we made a quick testing.

[​IMG]
    next week we will bring him home - our "Senkomat" - a lowering trailer. (so i'm able to load the bike allone).
    During our work - it started to rain a bit, but stoped then we finished. So i decided to take a little extra tour.

[​IMG]
    going north - from Dachau. rain clouds at the left.

[​IMG]
    Jetzendorf - Castle and church. (some nice old buildings in the center). A tree-climbing area nearby.

[​IMG]
    some km later - exotic birds. (Nandu?)

[​IMG]
    right near this nice rest-place

[​IMG]
    so the weather forced me to reach Pfaffenhofen - Begining of the Hallertau-area. Worldwide biggest area for Hop-plants. (needed for brewing beer).

[​IMG]
    Hopfen und Malz - Gott erhalts. :-) -- (by google translate: Hops and malt, may the Lord preserve it) :-)

[​IMG]
    close to Freising i found this. (if your small village looses it's residents, because everybody wants to live in a big city - you need wood-art) :-)

[​IMG]
    other side of the road. More art. (even the chiks)

At Freinsing i did a small visit at friends of mine. But no long - weather get more bad. So i moved on.

[​IMG]
    Munich Airport - not much planes these days. Heavy rain in the background at the right side.

[​IMG]
    Munich Airport Tower - impressive rain clouds

[​IMG]
    I think at Moosinning - 40 km south of the other "wood-art" - seems to be a trend here.

[​IMG]
    Munic Haar - psychiatric hospital. (a part of it - very nice old building)

[​IMG]
    Between Haar and Neuperlach - a huge Gasthof and Beergarden. -- nearly no guests today (covid AND bad weather - not the best mix).

[​IMG]
    view to the (empty) beergarden (Biergarten) - side note - in tratitional beergarden you can bring your own food, but you always have to buy some beer (or something to drink). But it is also nice to take the offert food from the beergarden.

[​IMG]
    Munich Neuperlach - the rain that didn't catched me. Fun for the car drivers.
    So i went on to Harlachng, Grünwald and Straßlach.

[​IMG]
    way down to Isar river and Schäftlarn.

[​IMG]
    Isar river - flooded after all this rain the last days. The huge trees in the water a brought by the flood.

[​IMG]
    last pic - monastary Schäftlarn.

10 km later at Wolfratshausen the rain finaly catched me. So i get wet a bit for the last 20km. ;-) (not bad at all).

to be continued....

have fun
    Andreas
    NSFW, eaglescan, MacNoob and 5 others like this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wunderbar!! Nice trailer too! What do you tow the trailer with? Mercedes Benz van? :D
    franken likes this.
  4. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naa, - pretty close - but not a Van. :-)
    a T-Model
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  5. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great reports Franken. Keep going!
  6. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trailer at home now. 20200626_144117.jpg
    Oldschoolrocker and NSFW like this.
  7. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    yesterday - short before the heavy thunderstormes moved in - we made a test ride with the bike on the trailer. :-) 16km, bike didn't fall off. :-) So we are ready for our first big holiday with a bike on a trailer. Option 1 at the moment - Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland and back on the ferry. Option 2 - France , Spain, Andalusia, Cuenca and Pyrenees.
    Depends all on Covid rules in August/ Sept.

So - btw. - did my first border crossing this year today!!! :deal (which is kind of strange on not normal - but Covid-times).

Map of the tour:

[​IMG]

Profile of the tour:

[​IMG]

So - not a big ride - and not much inside Austria, but.... (bordercrossing is possible - had no control at the border, Police was sometimes there and had a look at the traffic).

[​IMG]
    fist stop - Moto Parking lake Plansee. (you see - it's nearly a 2m distance between the bikes).

[​IMG]
    summer holiday started in some regions. Plansee was crowded.

[​IMG]
    but not everywhere. :-)

[​IMG]
    some free space.

[​IMG]
    sun bath area at the end of lake Plansee direction Reutte.

From Reuute i went down direction Ehwald to reach Namlos mountain road. -- and there -- some new "BAD" rules.

[​IMG]
    Bikes louder than 95 dB are not allowed to drive here. (till Oct 31th). There are some Online Petitions against this new rules, and some Demos - but in this area of Tirol its a law at the moment.
    On this 40 km part - i saw 1 noise control, 2 Radar speed traps and on normal control (took out all bikes).

[​IMG]
    some german bikers say that they dont drive here anymore.
    So this could be the beginning of "the end".
    Fee is round 220 €. And this is for Motorbikes only, not for loud trucks and not for loud cars. I hate this kind of bullshit. (rules only for Bikers, not for "all").

A map with blocked roads is here: (Klick)

So you can't go on this roads with a BMW S 1000 RR, Ducati Multistrada 1260, Harley Dyna Street Bob or Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory - and some more. I hate this.
    Rule is for all bikers, even the people who lives in this area. So maybe some could not use their legal buyed bike.

I went up Thanheimer Tal, to reach Pfronten - it started t rain in the alps.

[​IMG]
    weather went bad, landscape not. :-)

[​IMG]
    closer look to the lake at Thannheimer Tal.

[​IMG]
    Police check at the beginning of DB-rule in Thannheimer Tal.

So Austria is NO FUN for bikers in some parts at the moment.

[​IMG]
    so went out of the mountains - and escaped the rain. Behind Füssen - some wood art (carving art)

[​IMG]
    nice work (even for sale)

[​IMG]
    when i escaped the rain, i decided to make a stop at the little bar at the Ammerschlucht and its bridge. A nice spot - mostly good for a small talk with other bikers.
    you can get some drinks - Schnitzel, Currywurst - Ice cream.

[​IMG]
    5 km later - Bad (or good) Bayersoien. A nice little village. I found this interesting.

[​IMG]
    based at this old farm.

[​IMG]
    some 400 m later - differnd art

[​IMG]
    typical house (often with private apartment for tourists)

[​IMG]
    the lake at Bad Bayersoien (btw. they have a "natural ice" Icehockey stadium - playing in a very low league)

[​IMG]
    not zoomed - look

[​IMG]
    Guest house at the end of the village. (nice one)

[​IMG]
    2 km later - some of the rare "non paved roads" in germany. 2 km easy off-road fun. :-) (and a nice forest)

[​IMG]
    than paved again

[​IMG]
    passing a nice litte river

[​IMG]
    to reach this littel lake at the little village Kalkofen/ Schöffau.

[​IMG]
    closer look to the Water lilies.

[​IMG]
    so - time to go home (for them and me :-) )

20 min later i was home again, and 40 min later it was raining like hell. (good timeing) :-)

to be continued...
    have fun
    Andreas
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love your reports with the maps. I look to see where I had been in my youth and love it when I see town names I recognize. We used to stay in Reutte on weekends to go skiing. Nice old couple named Obermeyers. The man would drive us to the ski area (Hanenkam?) every morning. Great memories! Cheers!