Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    Chaostrophy and SFMCjohn like this.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    380 miles for tacos! Mouse McCoy could understand that...not nearly the same accomplishment, but both a little crazy. @Motopsychoman and I rode out 25 past Pinnacles, down to King City for tacos. They were great...the tacos de lengua are incredible. Took Nacimiento-Fergusson on the way back, rode through the fort, down to Kirk Creek and back home via Castroville and 101.

Roundels only on this ride :evil

[​IMG]

I don't do selfies
    [​IMG]
  3. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    *almost* rondels only... :)
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  4. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    Unless my eyes are playing games, there's definitely one on that 'other's bike.
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Yabuttt... it's a KLR.
  7. hammer13

hammer13 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    got down to the Carrizo Plain this past weekend to catch the end of the super-bloom ...

[​IMG]

was with the Motobird/Law Tiger people ... guess they had a Facebook thing ...
    was interested to go becuse they had secured the Rideout Hideout group campsite, which I'd never been to ... :ricky

[​IMG]

view toward Hurricane Ridge ... usually camp on Hurricane Ridge, so it was fun to check out another part of Carrizo ...
    the Rideout Hideout is south of KLC Campground and north of the Traver Ranch on the west side of Soda Lake Road ... super pretty, and private ...

[​IMG]

Liza M. let me take her brand new CRF 250 for a spin on "the loop" near the group camp ...

[​IMG]

sunset ...

[​IMG]

we had a huge pile of firewood, about twenty Motobird people and super-awesome music
    provided by Ron on the drumbox and Evan on the guitar ... some of you may know Ron and
    Evan from Rawhyde Rallies ... they are both BMW guys, too ...

[​IMG]

big thanks to Motobird's Kerri and Law Tiger's Matt for a fantastic time ...

see you around
    the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    riceaterslc, lvscrvs, Intimo and 4 others like this.
  9. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super John!
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  10. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow ADVers, I am moving from Houston to San Francisco in a couple of months.

Can someone get me up to date on ADV resources in the area.

1) Any local forums for meetups and rides
    2) Repository of local on/off-road trails to ride

Many thanks!
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. dbc

dbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is also a monthly gathering in the East Bay day and location varies https://advrider.com/f/threads/official-eastbay-meet-and-eat-thread.684610/
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  13. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  14. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the fastest way to get from San Francisco to Mendocino National Forest? Does a "fast way" actually exist? :(:

From what I've read here in this thread it's SF's closest true dual sport opportunity, but on GoogleMaps I'm not seeing any nearby towns, airports, or even private airstrips for some kind of direct SF-to-MNF route.

The South Cow Mountain OHV Recreation Area seems like it could be a dual sporting opportunity, too, and it's geographically closer than MNF, so maybe there's a direct route from SF to South Cow, instead? :hmmmmm
  15. jmil

jmil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you want to ride there, drive there, or fly there? I'm confused. Closest town is Upper Lake. Closest airport is Santa Rosa.
  16. jmil

jmil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a ride report? I've been eyeing this one.
  17. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    Ride, drive, fly, swim, hop on one foot, whatever's fastest, if there is such a thing. SF's nearby paved riding opportunities have duly impressed me, and I like them very very much and am quite grateful for them, but man...there's just no dirt around the city that won't get me ticketed.
  18. jmil

jmil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, fastest way is up highway 101, about 2.5 hours to get there. Alternatively, you can get to the Foresthill area in about 2hrs if you slab it. Ditto for the dirt roads down in San Benito county, but those are less interesting. One day adventure trips from SF are not very feasible. If you are overnighting and you enjoy long riding days, you can do a 2 day trip that ends up being about 60/40 pavement/dirt in terms of ride time. Three+ day trips start to get more interesting.

Some bay area dirt bikers are finding the joy of e-mtb, myself included. I can ride epic single track 45min from my house (in SF) and have an experience that is close to dirt biking. Not the same, but pretty close.
    Chaostrophy and Spitfire44 like this.
  19. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

All very helpful--thanks so much! :thumb
  20. MaddieCycle

MaddieCycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good 12 hour day rides to Mendo from SF do exist. You can take the 101 to CA-20 and then work your way across the forest, come out on the East Side and then take 16 back to 505 to 80 home. I prefer this over Foresthill because you have minimal interstate, and oncce you get past Santa Rosa on the 101 it is not really a freeway anymore. I did a 320 mile day ride up to Mendo on a Yamaha XT250 that involved no freeway riding other than the 101 between 37 and the Golden Gate Bridge. You can go up the Napa Valley and over the pass on 29, very beautiful.

You can also go to Knoxville Recreation Area but while that is not very far as the crow flies, it is as long a haul time-wise as Mendo and the last 20 miles or so are on a real goaty "road" that can take 45 minutes or more depending on conditons.
    Chaostrophy, jmil and joefromsf like this.