Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Coast Road is still listed as closed due to storm damage.

You could head up Nacimiento and ride along the fire roads up there. Plenty of good campsites and views.
  2. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Coast Ridge Rd and Los Burros Rd in Big Sur area are great fun if you want some dirt. Usal Rd to King Range Rd for more dirt up at the Lost Coast is popular as well. Tons of great back roads throughout the coastal mountains.... You could spend a week or more riding all of them.

https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/northern-california-map/
  3. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode past the Coast road at both ends (the Bixby Bridge one) on Sunday last week and didn't see any signs on either end. Did not see any closed gates either. I came from the south and the southern end looked open. I considered it for a moment, but had also read it was closed so we stayed on One.

X2 for the South Coast Ridge Road and Los Burros - Good fun on those easy dirt roads with fantastic views.
  4. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last time I eyebanged the south end of Coast Road, the road closure sign was deep into the road, so it wasn't obvious from Hwy 1.
    Cabrito likes this.
  5. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I may have posted here once before then completely forgot OR just never stumbled across it. I'm in Fremont. Looking for some good peeps for Adventure/Dual sport riding. I'm new to this but have been riding off and on for a number of years. Finally got my license at the beginning of the year! Picked up a Royal Enfield Himalayan.

Might take off somewhere this weekend, IDK yet.
  6. chorizo

chorizo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want a 2-3 day ride Id be tempted to go North. Basically highway 101 parallels the Pacific Coast 1. North of San Francisco
    there are several two lane roads that connect 101 and 1. They are a blast. In general you'd go north 101. Then east to the coast, then 1 north for and hour or two and back to 101 and ride north again. I did this all the way to Crescent City. You will ride through awesome Redwoods and coastal views that will blow your mind. Tons of cool small towns and places to explore. Your 990 would be a perfect bike for this ride. Like PERFECT because you won't be roasting in slow traffic.
    If your new to CA take another day and ride through the wine country on 128. What the hell its beautiful too. It will be slower so your 990 gonna heat up your jimmies a bit but it'll be worth it. Good Luck. Where are you coming from?
    Rippin209 and Intimo like this.
  7. CaptGS

CaptGS '18 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Just did 265 mile day ride. Los Banos - Le Grand - Cathey's Valley - Hornitos - Snelling - La Grange - Coulterville - Mariposa - Ahwahnee - Oakhurst - Coarsegold - Raymond - Chowchilla and back to home... The whole route temp was 90F - 95F... Traffic was very light to non existent most of the route. Scenery was drop dead gorgeous...

Next trip will be an overnighter or maybe a two nighter on my other favorite route from Stinson Beach all the way up to Crescent City and back.
    Intimo, honda20 and ian408 like this.
  8. adventure808

adventure808 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the replies. I’ll be starting in sac and ending in San Diego so maybe I’ll jog north for 2-3 days, stop back in sac, pick up the mtb, hit Santa Cruz on the way down to the coast road and Nacimiento and down to the SoCal slog. Thanks for all the help, I’m sure I’ll have more questions as it gets closer!
  9. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did this ride a couple years ago and is highly recommend, chorizo is not over calling this at all. It's one of those rides that if you can you should at least once, my only regret was I didn't give myself enough time. I left Los Banos at 5am met up with a buddy in Morgan Hill and worked our way up taking the most scenic route possible (avoiding the roads that were closed do to wash outs, couple years ago there was a lot) Capture%2B_2019-06-12-01-24-53-1.jpg Capture%2B_2019-06-12-01-26-09-1.jpg

Of course the GPS routing isn't accounting for gas/food or picture stops so I went longer then i should have, looking back I should have stopped near the coast for the night, I ended up getting into Redding in in pitch black with inadequate lighting around 10
    E
    dit: sorry about the typos, after realizing my mistakes I tried to correct them but I'm looking at a blank grey screen (I can't see any of the writing, weird, so I can fix them
    Kampfire likes this.
  10. chorizo

Oddometer:
    Rippon Thats the idea! Go north, then west, then north, then east or whatever. You cant go wrong. I would suggest after Labor Day though. The coast has less fog in September.

My buddy said he knew a shortcut through San Francisco so we went along with it. Well he "forgot exactly" and it took an extra hour through the hills of San Francisco to get to the bridge. It was the most beautiful exploration of a city you could imagine. You couldn't duplicate the twisted route if you tried. We all agreed it was the best tour of SF we had seen. He was a hero!

This is getting me in the mood. Who's down for Septemberish? Im in Santa Cruz.
  11. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I almost did this trip about a month ago. I wanted to ride a longer trip and camp over a weekend but weather and time got in the way. I have never explored up north so I'm very interested in doing so this year.

Depending on the exact route this could be a long ride to do in a weekend though.
  12. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPS tries going the fastest route so it doesn't show it but we left Morgan Hill 101 to 280 cut over 92 to half moon bay came back over touched skyline for a few miles, went through Frisco (as quickly as possible, way behind schedule by this time) over the Golden gate and then the GPS is pretty close to accurate.
    I've lived in the Bay area most of my life so I didn't need it until we got around Frisco anyway.

My previous post shows my route up to Redding, we ate breakfast with my sister and nephew and we came back down on 5, this was 5/20-5/21 2017
    Weather and visibility were perfect

If your planning a route ahead of time just check for closers, construction or huge events, otherwise you should be fine.

Like I said before my only regret was I wish I'd taken more time, the last 4 hours of the first day I was trying to get to the room instead of enjoying my ride

I woke up at 0430 and was on the road by 0500 didn't get into the motel parking lot until 2145 didn't get to bed until around 0000 after stretching, checking in and eating dinner, take out food and gas breaks and it was still 17 hours plus in the saddle, it would have been better to stop around 12, coincidently that would've been around the coast.

As long as it isn't too hot (Redding temps would be a good indicator, I'd recommend going
  13. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really an adventure but Sunday for the first time I rode highway 130 (Mount Hamilton) from SJ out to The Junction, had fish n chips and rode back. Much more of a complex technical road than I was expecting! Hanging out at the Junction was pretty cool, met some nice people. I ride a Royal Enfield Himalayan and I didn't even have my helmet off before people came up to me and asked question about it. Something when I got it I didn't think about, just funny to me.
  14. adventure808

adventure808 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do people do when camping on the bike for bear prevention as far as food? I’m from a state with no bears. Designate a pannier (I have soft bags) as “smelly” and hang it from a tree?
  15. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bears can open panniers like cans of sardines... They'll trash your bike while they're at it too.. Hang it in a tree or put it in the bear Box if there is one. Don't even bring chap-stick or toothpaste in your tent.
    Ryan_A likes this.
  16. adventure808

adventure808 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea copy I figured as much. Are people riding with backcountry bear containers? Or just hang a pannier in a tree?
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I used a bear container on the Great Divide ride...they're kind of a pain to pack. Carried bear spray as well. Some areas bear containers are mandated, but I'd prefer to hang my food, just don't think it's very effective. I generally carry bear spray on all my trips.
  18. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hang my food, but in a nylon drawstring bag not in a pannier. It is suspended from a cord thrown over a high branch. There's usually quite a bit of friction hoisting a load, so don't want to add the weight of the pannier, even a soft one. Besides, if you don't get it out of the bear's reach would you rather have the bear tear into a cheap nylon sack or your soft pannier.
    gammel likes this.
  19. chorizo

Oddometer:
    Next time continue East on 130 to highway 5. Much more sweeping and excellent scenery. Then just double back for a nice day ride from the Bay Area.
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  20. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any fun rides coming up? Just moved to the Bay Area and looking to join you folks on some adventures!