Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    ...is that your photo? Where is this?

I'm kinda drooling...
    Kampfire likes this.
  2. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Alabama Hills off 395 just outside Lone Pine. Absolutely a awesome place to camp out on a bike. But you do have to find a spot away from the main sites that have lots of motorhomes and campers.

And to be a little more specific, 36°37'6.20"N 118° 6'41.13"W
    Camped there with a riding buddy on my way to Death Valley. Lone Pine has a couple of great places for food too.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.6183889!4d-118.111425
    23103a, Rips Millar and Mark.Winton like this.
  3. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I actually was going to guess Alabama Hills, but never been closer to the area than 395.
  4. bananachunks

bananachunks ride camp ride camp ride camp

Oddometer:
    I did not know about Fish Rock Rd. Hit it yesterday afternoon, camped on the Gualala River, and took Skaggs Springs on the way back. Thank you!
    SFMCjohn, 23103a, Kampfire and 2 others like this.
  5. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you camp our in random spots or there is something dedicated there?
  6. bananachunks

bananachunks ride camp ride camp ride camp

Oddometer:
    Plenty of random spots for wild camping in the orange box below. My friend and I just happened to come across it yesterday late afternoon while trying to find a place to wild camp after Fish Rock Rd. Seems like it could probably be a pretty busy area during the summer. It's fantastic to have found something so "close" to the City - I will definitely be back!

gualalaRiverWildCamp.jpg
  7. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There's a campground in Gualala and farther up the hwy in Achor Bay. But they're mostly RV spots-or it seems like. In the summer time, people will drive on the river sometimes and find a spot to hang for the day.

The roads in the area are pretty sweet-many are goat paths so keep that in mind.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  8. hetman

hetman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first got a BMW Dakar and was still new to it, I remember going off-road at Buck Meadows, which is on the way to Yosemite on 120. The trails went off a lot further than I did; I just made small loops around the area since I was new to both motorcycles and off-road riding. That's still pretty far from the Bay Area though.
  9. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friday, May 1st Knoxville OHV-Buck Island Adv Ride

Meet at Rockville Chevron, 4155 Suisun Valley Rd, Fairfield, CA 94534
    Gassed & KSU at 9AM.

(https://goo.gl/maps/7tEfYJBKUnNrh7i1A)
    Pay no attention to the estimated time, as I had to select cycling to get it to route at all. You will see it all disappear if you switch to car travel.

Suisun Valley Rd north
    Wooden Valley Rd.
    CA121
    CA128
    Berryessa-Knoxville Rd.
    Knoxville OHV Area
    Morgan Valley Rd.
    Reiff Rd.
    Fiske Creek Rd.
    Buck Island Rd.
    CR40/Rayhouse Rd.

Then we'll probably reverse across Reiff, Berryessa, & back to Rockville.

Bring water, snacks, lunch, flat repair stuff, tow rope, and your favorite bandito mask! ;-)

BRAAAP!

Catfish ...
  10. catfish

Oddometer:

Well, that was a bit more adventure than I wanted. But me & Ms.X lived to ride another day!

No one else made it to the Chervon on time, so it was another solo day. Mostly. This was the 2nd time this year I have ridden up CA121 from Wooden Valley Rd to CA128 withOUT catching anything. OMFG, what an incredible roller coaster! Ms.X just LOVES this road!

Berryessa-Knoxville Rd was empty past the lake. Met a couple of trucks between water crossings. Only 2 had water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ms.X's rear shock is a bit of a pogo stick on this rough road. Needs more rebound damping, but not adjustable. I've had an Ohlins on order since February. Grrr...

[​IMG]
    Met an SUV existing Knoxville as I rode in. I left street pressures in the tires & the rocky stuff was moving my front tire around more than I was comfortable. I stopped in the shade just before the bridge over the creek and lowered pressures, 22F, 24R. Ahhhhhh, much better traction & the front tire stopped deflecting on the rocks. :-) Met 2 kids & dad on their dirtbikes. Otherwise the place was empty.

Reiff Rd. is open & in better shape than I've seen it before. All of the erosion ruts had a no-skidplate-roll-able spot to cross, if you saw it soon enough. Skid plate ordered in Feb. also. Grrr...

Davis Creek Reservoir was gorgeous as always, but the spillway was bone dry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Reiff Rd after the reservoir follows a creek up towards 4 corners. Must of had water as the local insects were a BUZZ in a giant swarming ORGY as I came thru. I ducked behind windshield, but the fvckers still got in my helmet!

Made it to 4 corners. The poor old sign needs some love.
    [​IMG]

I headed south on Fiske Creek Rd first, hoping to get all the way to the Blue Ridge Trailhead. The view up this canyon from there is incredible. On a clear day, you can see all the way to Snow Mtn above Stonyford.

The road on the top of the ridge has been graded & in good shape. The natural pond on the right was bigger than I remember.

[​IMG]
    As the road drops from the ridge towards Fiske Creek, it becomes a sidehill trail & erosion ruts return. This section has seen no maintenance. Picking my line well became important.

Around that last point you can see on the left, I stopped for a pee break. As I was remounting, 2 plated dirtbikes appeared in front of me. They stopped & we talked. Experienced middle-age guy with an older street rider on his 1st dirtbike. Husky FE350. He didn't clear the last rocky climb to Blue Ridge, so they were on their way back. I asked about Buck Island & they had not been up there yet. I said I was headed there after I reach my "end" in this direction. They headed north to lunch at the shade tree next to the pond.

As I continued south the road was getting worse. On the downhill side of trail ahead was a GIANT hole. The trail narrows as it passes by. You could lose a GSA+rider in that hole! The hole will slowly progress uphill across the trail with each big rain. :-(

I continued past the next switchback & came to the next erosion rut across the trail. Its steep-sided, about 18-24 inches across. There is a smoothed line on the uphill side, but the rut is much deeper than my ground clearance. Oh well. Didn't make to the Fiske Creek or Blue Ridge trailheads.

Turned around & headed to the pond. They were eating lunch & doing bike maintenance. After hearing me say I was going to try Buck Island next, they decided they'd do it too. That gave me confidence to go for it, as I knew these guys were coming behind me.

Buck Island Rd is mostly a fun ridge top until it drops steeply down to Buck Island. Erosion ruts return & there can be downed trees. I was pushing things a little with these oem tires. Came around a left curve that was off camber all the way across the trail to a rut on the outside. There was a good-sized rock in the rut further ahead. Road was loose stuff on hard pack. My attempts to use both brakes to control my downhill speed were slowly pushing the front tire to the right. I got it stopped about half-way down into the rut. Well shit! I tried many things, but that front tire was not going to climb to the left. I was going into the rut. Should've dropped to lower tire pressure yet!

As I approached the big rock, I see that I could turn the front tire left against it. That and leaning the bike way left, I was able to clear the rock with Ms.X's undercarriage as we sneaked by. YEA! Then we rode the rut down the hill until I was able to get out. Glad it was not too deep & no more rocks! Wow, still no dirtbikes behind me.

Dropped down the rest of the steep parts uneventfully. :-) At the bottom I notice the gate to the left had been "disabled." I know I'm on the wrong bike to go that way, so I continued right to the old camping area next to Cache Creek. The BLM had put in two pit toilets for the rafters & crew who used to drive back here. Before the low-water bridge dropped to 0 ton limit.

[​IMG]
    One of the abandoned pit toilets. Don't expected any TP! ;-)

[​IMG]
    Cache Creek flowing behind the trees. Sediment layers pointing towards Mars or Venus?

[​IMG]
    If you got skills & good-enough tires, Buck Island is a fun place to camp in spring or fall. Gets WAY too hot down here in the summer to not be in the creek. I used to lead a "triple-sport" ride across here that included a swim. :-)

The dirtbike guys showed up. We shared more Buck Island stories. As they left to explore the island, I started back up to 4 corners. All was going well, until I selected the right side of the right rut to be my path for the next steep climb. I knew I was going to skim some vegetation on this line, but it looked like the safest line to take with my tires. There was apparently a good-sized rock hiding in there. BAM! My right footpeg folds up & lifts my boot! As I tried to keep control & momentum to continue climbing, I tested the peg and it supported my weight ok.

As I finally crest the first peak, I stopped for a photo op. OOPS, where's my rear brake pedal? I look down & its folded back under the footpeg. And I got nothing but downhill ahead of me. GAH!!! Should have taken a photo of it, but didn't. I was way too stressed to think of it then.

I was able to kick at it several times & got it to bend kinda in the right direction. Hmmm ... I need a big rock. Ah, there's one! SMACK-SMACK-SMACK-...-SMACK! Damn, THANK YOU Honda for a bendable steel brake pedal! I got it bent just far enough forward & up that I could juuust reach it with a very-dipped toe. YEA!!!

Then I took some photos ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode back to 4 corners & down Rayhouse Rd to the low-water bridge without any excitement at all! ;-) Aired-up my tires while I enjoyed a snack & a safety break. Then up 16, 505, 128, 121, etc... to get home by 5:30pm.

[​IMG]
    Bent & hard to reach, but got us home! Ms.X is officially broken in now. ;-)

Catfish ...
  11. brasters

brasters Just Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like guys had great ride !!! Little adventure to boot ! Is it doable with big bike?
    CA-Cincinnatus and catfish like this.
  12. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    Yep. I did it on Weestorm, and on 950, and on 640(with Catfish back in the good old days 10-12? years ago). Its more of a tire choice.
    CA-Cincinnatus, catfish and joefromsf like this.
  13. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    I like that shady spot you found at Buck Island.
    Yes, it gets hot up there in the summer, but that little beach & creek can help cool you off.

[​IMG]

Saw your post the other day and thought about joining you, but I was just there, and the wife & I had plans. Glad you had a good ride.
    CA-Cincinnatus and catfish like this.
  14. catfish

Oddometer:
    Yes. Like I said above, you need some dirt skills & better aired-down tires than oem for Buck Island. If you wanna reach Blue Ridge trailhead, you better have GOOD skills, good tires, & a skidplate. Reiff & Rayhouse are ok for oem adv tires & noobs-in-training. ;-)

Its a gorgeous area to explore. Just stay on the roads. Its all various wilderness-study areas of the Snow Mtn Nat. Monument now.

Catfish ...
    WRC51, CA-Cincinnatus and SFMCjohn like this.
  15. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, new to the bay area and i'm looking to plan a car trip to mendocino.

I was planning to take a SUV up, drive some fire roads and hike/camp. Was wondering if anyone had any good routes.

Also, any advice for first time visitors, it looks like it's mostly fireroads so should be fine in a small SUV?

I see lots of advice to bring plenty of water.
    ADVraider likes this.
  16. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go,

Free GPX routes and for a bunch of "BDR-like" routes in NorCal. Also check out other routes they have in the region, lots in the Mendocino area.

https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/post/mendocino-backcountry-discovery-trail

For camp spot, I highly recommend this place:

https://www.hipcamp.com/california/south-facing-ridge-with-views/cosmo-s-camp

Stayed there before, the guy is catering specifically to ADV riders, he has amazing trails on the 30+ acre property. Lots of fun riding around and exploring. Super beautiful scenery and nice cool temps at night for camping.
  17. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    finally found my way up Mount Saint John, above the Stonyford OHV area:

[​IMG]

been looking at it from the rodeo grounds in Stonyford for 20 years, and always wanted to see how far up I could ride my KLR ... nice views of Fouts Springs, too.

[​IMG]

it's a nice, easy ride until about 500 yards from the radio towers. :lol3

[​IMG]

decided it would hurt my feelings if I tipped over on the bitter-end ledgy section, so I walked up ... 6700' ... :ricky

[​IMG]

nice views to the west, and to the east of Stonyford, the East Park reservoir and the Sutter Buttes ...
    will maybe have to try to camp up there someday, nice sunrise/sunset views ...
    DarthLOL, Oznerol, Eric B and 16 others like this.
  18. catfish

Oddometer:

Our kids used to love riding up St. John Mtn in the spring. The area under the trees to the north of tower would usually have a snow bank still. EPIC snow ball fights. :-)

They couldn't get up the rocky parts on their XR50s without help. But finally conquered the whole climb on their XR80s & XR100s.

You should come camp with us above Downieville John. Lots of easy forest roads, active fire lookout towers, old mining cemeteries, & great scenery up there. It would be good to see & ride with you again.

Catfish ...
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  19. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    ...not to mention a death march trail or two, if that's more appealing.

:lol3
    SFMCjohn and catfish like this.
  20. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Will make Downieville soon, catfish, still remember fondly your Lake Alpine get together, geez, years ago, now ... :lol3

[​IMG]

Calaveras Dome with Catfish, 2013 ... :ricky
    left my KLR and walked to get here too ... :queenie

fun to think of your kids up on Mt. St. John, throwing snowballs ... those were the days, eh? :thumb
    ian408 likes this.