Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that forest orders being lifted will probably not happen until the end of the month or at least some of the fires are out and resources free up.
  2. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much what I think also. Our fire season usually extends into October and they are so nervous right now, that I am worried they may wait until we have some weather systems come thru with beneficial rain.

Keep your fingers crossed. I was actually planning to head over to Bishop around the same time as your trip and am wavering on my go / no-go decision. All the riding I want to do in that area is in Inyo NF so currently closed. Air quality has been good one day, then wind shifts and lousy the next day.

Someone suggested Nevada for your trip. Not a bad idea. At least research it enough, so you have it ready as a Plan B.

Good luck.
  3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not really worried about air quality, so long as it's not SUPER fucked, and I'm not going to burn alive. I'll take a look at Nevada too I suppose. Was really just looking at an overnight though.
  4. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Its your tree requirement for a hammock that makes it a challenge. There's lots of BLM land where you can disperse camp, but I think of it as the scrub land between NF lands. I know that's an over generalization and there is BLM land with forest trees, I just can't point to one on a map for you.
    bananachunks likes this.
  5. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Hey @MiteyF . I don't suppose you're a rock climber. If so, go to the Alabama Hills and bring a small selection of nuts, chocks and/or cams to make an anchor for one end of your hammock in a crack in one of the big rocks. And use your bike to anchor the other end.
  6. ian408

Oddometer:
    According to a Forest Service announcement, some emergency closures will be lifted beginning tomorrow, including Humbolt-Toiyabe.

Check before you go.
    NSFW likes this.
  7. Orindarider

Orindarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a nice private campground with plenty of trees that’s open Lots of fishing and great roads too. https://thevillageatchildsmeadow.com/camping/

HardWorkingDog likes this.
  8. Agnessman

Agnessman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just camped at King Range north of Shelter Cove near Saddle mountain trailhead. Took hwy 1, Usal rd, Kings Peak rd. Its BLM dispersed. Lots of trees. Killer view of the ocean.
    CA-Cincinnatus and Willsfree like this.
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agness, that looks pretty killer up that way. Did you have to get a wilderness permit from the BLM? Where, if you don't mind me asking, were you camped that gave you an ocean view? Or was the view just on the ride up?
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  10. Agnessman

Agnessman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saddle mountain rd off of kings peak rd. Nice long ridge overlooking the coast. There were several small “spots” along the ridge.
    To my knowledge I was not in the wilderness area which would require a permit. A host at a nearby developed campground recommended.
  11. Agnessman

Agnessman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5DDCFFB8-23BF-424B-8C53-0D12268CDF75.jpeg
    SFMCjohn and CA-Cincinnatus like this.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I may be sold... got the ol' Benchmark Atlas out while the BBQ... BBQ's...
  13. Willsfree

Willsfree Free to Explore

Oddometer:
    Hiking up to Kings Peak will give you some great views. You said you'd like to test out the bike...Usal Rd. travels south from Shelter Cove to Highway 1. I haven't ridden it yet, supposed to be a bit of a handful with a big bike; you then could ride up to Leggit or crisscross over any one of the many west/east routes home.
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just looking to test out some camping gear, not necessarily the bike. I'm definitely more of a pavement/twisties kinda guy, with the odd FS road thrown in. Not really an offroad guy, And not afraid to say it!
  15. Willsfree

Willsfree Free to Explore

Oddometer:
    Cool, maybe weave a few of the crisscross roads home: Shoreline Highway (1), Branscomb Rd. , Comptche Rd. , Skaggs Springs Rd. or Highway 128 into your birthday weekend...lots of twisties near the coast :ricky
  16. multiphrenic

multiphrenic Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Left work early so I could spend a few hours riding down by the 92 and 35 with a nice stop over at this fine dining establishment. Saw some guy walk in barefoot and then ask where the restroom was...and then he rushes in. Finished my crunchwrap supreme ( a true delicacy) and he's still in there, now with about five people waiting for him to leave. Some people just crack under pressure.

IMG_2606.jpg
    bananachunks and joefromsf like this.
  17. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many of you remember that was an A&W before it was a Taco Bell?
    I'm probably really dating myself.
  18. ian408

Oddometer:
    I mighta worked there once or twice when it was.
  19. multiphrenic

multiphrenic Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for making me feel young again. need it more and more these days.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  20. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dating yourself is illegal in several states. :D

I'm looking for a camping & fishing trip semi-locally, anyone up for that?