Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. DannoT

DannoT Noob

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to drop in and say "hello" as a fellow bay area rider. I joined this site back in July to get advice on ADV bikes, and I ended up with a 750GS but didn't realize there were specific regional forums (not that I was trying too hard to find it at the time) until someone at BARF pointed that out to me. Duh.

I'm relatively new to riding (since 2018 on sport bikes-I've done a Total Control intermediate Riding course and trackday since then) and very new to ADV/Dirt Riding. None of my current riding friends have interest in this type of riding/traveling so I'm a bit on my own in terms of gaining knowledge about it. I took a MSF Dirt Riding course at Carnegie recently and had a great time. I hope to learn more about motocamping, riding events and places to go by hanging out here and reading the various threads.

Daniel
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Welcome!
    DannoT likes this.
  3. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings, salutations, & welcome!

As a fellow BARFer, congrats on A) BARFing and B) ADVRidering! :D

There's also the NorCal BMW club - https://www.bmwnorcal.org/. They are oriented toward riding & camping (can't be a member if you haven't overnight camped with them at least twice, plus applied for membership, etc.). Good folks, love to ride. A prerequisite is that you have to own a BMW (with some wiggle room).

See you on the road & trail! :thumbup
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  4. DannoT

DannoT Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome, guys! :-) I did wander over to the BMW club a week ago, and it looks like they've suspended all events due to COVID until further notice which is understandable. Hope to get to know you riding travelers more as I dig deeper into the content of the forums.
  5. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    Where are you in CA?
  6. DannoT

DannoT Noob

Oddometer:
    Eastbay (Danville/San Ramon)
  7. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    I (ok, we, my wife & I) used to live in San Ramon off Bollinger Canyon. If you haven't taken Bollinger all the way west, you're missing a great little ride with a few surprises in the fields. Norris Canyon can be exciting at times, too. :D
  8. DannoT

DannoT Noob

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, I’ve done those routes to get to redwood road and then up toward Oakland/Berkeley hills for my sport bike rides. Love the area! I’ve been going eastward more out towards Livermore, Tracy. Doing The Junction (Mines)/Patterson and Tesla roads.

I went towards Byron this weekend in hopes of getting some distance on HWY 4 to 49, but my sport bike buddy wasn’t up for it...i can’t blame him for not wanting to do that on his Panigale

I see you are in San Leandro? Which areas do you head toward for your local adventures?
  9. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi from BARF as well [​IMG]
  10. DannoT

DannoT Noob

Oddometer:
    :wave :puke2
  11. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    Well..... :D

All riding is good, if you're looking for a local jaunt, try Palomares road. I prefer going from south to north, but either way is a blast. It's residential, so be aware of a few road-humps, gravel from driveways, etc. Two wineries, both closed the last time I went through, but that could have been timing, not COVID.

Berryessa is phenomenal but is now suffering fire damage. You got here just in time for the annual "devastation-by-fire", sorry. Ditto for Mines Road in Livermore. Redwood Road is divine, so's going up to Mt Diablo. If you want goaty, Morgan Territory is bliss. Down south, if you can get up to Mt. Umunhum, the view is outstanding & the road is fresh. Mt. Tamalpaias is also great. So many great roads, views, and things to do. It's great out here. :teeth

Get over to https://www.pashnit.com/ for a never-ending surfeit of "where do I want to go now". :clap

I'm in school (again, long boring story) and doing projects, plus other stuff, so my riding time is limited, but if you've got a passion to get out there & see what's available, let me know & I'll see if I can help. I've been here since '99 and still haven't been on all the roads I want to ride.
    multiphrenic, Willsfree and DannoT like this.
  12. picknpluck

picknpluck Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another Bay Area NooB checking in...Castro Valley here and just got back on the bike after an extended absence. @CA-Cincinnatus holler if you're up for a ride this weekend!
  13. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    Depends on the amount of time, bud. I'm going to Sacto on Saturday or Sunday (depending on other participants) to take down a ham radio antenna & weather station, previous homeowner went SK (silent key, aka passed on), new owner of the house wants them gone, I volunteered to assist. Depending on homework load, might have some time... :D
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agnessman, thanks for the tip! I only got a quarter or half mile up Saddle Mt. Rd. before I saw the first nice little climb and thought, "well, maybe not today". I ended up staying at the campground off of King Mt. Rd. I'm sure there's lots of lovely exploring to do up there.

Thank you again for the suggestion. I had a great bday ride! 128 through the redwoods, 1 up the coast, and then 101 and up to King Mt. Rd. I definitely plan on getting a bit deeper up there soon!

[​IMG]
  15. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday & many more! :D
    1brunoj likes this.
  16. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    happy to report Buck Island is still there:

[​IMG]

Rayhouse Road, Yolo County, on 10/10/2020, with Davis Creek Reservoir, part of the McLaughlin Natural Reserve, in the distance.

[​IMG]

CA-Cincinnatus, leading the charge up Buck Island Ridge.

[​IMG]

the mad plunge down to Cache Creek ... :ricky

[​IMG]

was surprised we had the place to ourselves Saturday night of a holiday weekend ... :clap

[​IMG]

fish were looked for, but remained elusive ... next time, they better watch out. :2guns

[​IMG]

hear my betters are concerned about the state of cleanliness of my KLR ... :p

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    Cabrito, SnipTheDog, NSFW and 6 others like this.
  17. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    That old steel plate still hanging in the tree across from the outhouse?
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  18. multiphrenic

multiphrenic Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taking Wed/Thurs off work this week, gonna spend one of them doing a loop from SF up near Ukiah. Between Highway 20 and Comptche road any thoughts?
    Any other recommendations appreciated.

Wild Fish in Little River looks tasty. Might stop at Jimmy's Deli in Lakeport. Just random finds from googling but any local knowledge appreciated.

347 mi as planned..looks like 7 hrs of riding? Might cut either the east or the west side out depending on how my ass feels. Everything always looks so close on the map..

upload_2020-10-12_21-16-24.png
    Kampfire likes this.
  19. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    There's an outhouse?
  20. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    I didn’t notice the steel plate ... still lots of shooting goes on there based on the brass we saw scattered around, and from the experience of being woken up a few years ago by fellow BLM campers shooting off some sort of automatic field artillery at 2am ... :lol3