Bay Area to San Diego

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by fish, Dec 6, 2001.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm riding down to San Diego from the south bay this Saturday. Does anybody want to recommend a fun route (or two, cuz I gotta come back too)?
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Check out the new Rider, there is an article on a cool off road section near Soda Lake. From 166/33 you can then connect to a beautiful two lane, fresh asphalt, ride up and over to Pine Mountain and Frazier Park on Highway 5. No one is ever on this road and you have it all to yourself. It has some Spanish name, it escapes me now, I will track it down.
  3. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    US 101 S to Gilroy

SR 25 S to Bitterwater

CR 13 SW to King City

US 101 N (~1 mi) to CR 14 - Jolon Rd.

CR 14 S (Jolon Rd) to Lockwood

Interlake Rd. & Nacimiento Lake Rd. to Paso Robles

101 S one exit to Creston Road East

Creston Rd. to SR 41

La Panza Rd. to SR 58

SR 58 E to SR 33

SR 33 S to Ojai

SR 150 W to Santa Barbara

Oh Shit, you said San Diego. Well, get a motel for the night and take the coast route down the next day. I have yet to find a fast scenic route around LA.

Or from soewhere on 33, like around Taft, find some other route around LA.

Or change your plans and go to Santa Barbara instead. This is a great day ride with some WFO stuff as well as some tighter.

- S
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'm jiggy wit all the stuff above 41...ridden those roads many times, but I'm afraid they suck up way too much time to get through on the way to somewhere, so I'll likely blast down 101 to about 41...it's south of there that I'm interested in. I like the idea of 58 and 33. What about 166? Anything interesting from LA to SD? Almost anything but going through the Asphalt Ribbon of Death would be great.

And o-shen, thanks for the tip, but I'm not a chocoholic.
  5. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fish;

166 is a very fast sweeping road...But..very well watch..radar units.used as a short cut for trucker going from 101 to I-5.There is not very much going through L.A...but south off of I-5 is Ortega Hwy SR74..That road is were all the hot shoes go to ride.It will drop you off on to I-15 south into the shit hole town of Lake Elsinore..Take I-15 south into San Diego..If you have time stop at lookout point off SR74 toward the end. (it is the hangout like Alice's. overlooks Lake Elsinore)...

Good luck and have a safe ride..leaving for Vegas on Friday..(going to Guggenheim)

Rick
  6. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    Since announcement of travel plans seems to be the savvy Member's post of the day ...

I'm leaving next Tuesday for about two weeks in Thailand. (Business)

- S
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Whoa dood :dood ! How long's it take to ride there from here?
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Well, Toad...I wish I could say it were all pleasure, but unfortunately the destination is two days of meetings with engg execs in La Jolla. So I gotta get there and I ain't flying....in the air.
  9. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    If here is Burma like last time, about a day.

- S

Last year, I took a motorcycle ride from Bangkok to Burma, across the Bridge on the River Kwai, on a rented Triumph. Had a great time. Maybe I'll do it again.
  10. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    I used one of the older bridges. Rama IX would have been easier (it was my planned route) but it is a toll bridge, and all the toll expressways in Thailand are closed to motorcycles. Except for cops, who I saw riding Yamaha Seca II copcycles on the toll roads. They won't even let you through the toll booth.

The Thais seem to think of 150 cc 2-strokes when you mention motorcycles. They are everywhere, like swarms of bees, just like in many Asian countries. There are very few bigger bikes. The Triumph I rented drew a lot of attention. At the gas stations I had to persuade the attendants not to use motorcycle gas, which is a 2-stroke (with oil) mix. In the hills near Burma, I found no gas stations. Instead, I found somebody who was selling from an old tank behind his house.

Fun ride. It was definitely an Adventure, even though I wan not on one of the ADVrider sanctioned bikes.

- S
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's gonna be smooth sailing down to San Diego [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    Your gonna sail to Sans Dago? And all this time I thought you were gonna ride one of your damn bikes!

- S
  13. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    The following was my route from Monterey to SD:

Highway 1 (make it 101 to save time from SJ)
    Highway 166
    Cerro Noroeste (FR 95 to Pine Mountain, hard to find but worth it)
    N2
    Whatever road it is that goes up to Mile High Cafe
    Highway 18
    Highway 247
    Highway 62
    Highway 74
    Highway 371
    Highway 79
    Highway 78

Fish, it's a good way around LA traffic and you brush by some of the best roads in SoCal.
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:

flying? :doh
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thanks Harry!

fish