Bay Area to Utah Parks

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by fish, Mar 30, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    It's been many years since I travelled to the Utah Parks (Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Castle Reef, etc). What's a cool way to get there from the Bay Area? About how many miles is it?
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    The last time I did it, my route was Watsonville-Raymond-Mariposa-Lee Vining-Tonopah-Rachel-Caliente-Panaca-St. George, at which point you are ready to step off into the parks. Took me about 1.5 days to get from the coast into St. George at a leisurely pace.

Jon
  3. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Jon laid out a great way to get ya thu Nevader.

Two do not miss roads. Do not miss Cedar Breaks Highway 14 and highway 12 in Utah! Get your bike on those two no matter what you have to do. Huge wow factor. 12 is red rock canyon country with a couple of switch backs way up on knife edges! Then you climb up to about 11,000 feet in aspen forests. I like to come out of Moab, drop down to La Sal and enter Colorado on 46 out of Utah and pass through Telluride. Not the shortest but one hell of a ride.
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Jon, thanks for the route. I'll look it up on the map I'm going to get from AAA tomorrow...can't seem to find my western states map.

Rad, what's the weather and conditions likely to be this time of year on those roads?
  5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Hey Razorbak,

How'd you make that coolio map so quickly? Some program do that for you? :jose

I was lusting over the Canadian rally posted earlier today and noticed they have a similar map.
  6. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I am no expert on Utah weather. I have done those roads 4 or 5 times. Never before mid May. I have been snowed on a couple of times over the higher passes. The Utah guys must have more info but I would guess that the higher passes could be trouble in April. The lower stuff, Canyonlands, Arches would be great.

The Weather Channel is my bestest friend when I'm on da road.
  7. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Oops, I forgot about Utah 12 and 24. Rad's right.....they are stunning.

And if you see cow poop, SLOW DOWN. Open range cattle are everywhere up there. :)

Jon
  8. four-up

four-up Distracted

Oddometer:
    Cow pies are one thing, but this time of year you really have to watch for deer, even in daylight. The come down to munch the new grass sprouting after the snow-melt. And the area north/east of Torrey/Bicknell (Capitol Reef) is infested with suicidal rabbits.

Spent the weekend just south of 50 in the west desert. Snow was off everything under 7000, even north slopes. North-facing higher up still has 3-6 weeks. Anything over 10K usually takes til June unless it's paved and well-used.
  9. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    I have to chime in too. Utah 12 is awesome. There's a dirt road, Burr Trail, going off of 12 to Lake Powell which is great too. Hopefully I have time to hit those on the return route from CA.
  10. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Minor detail...both 108 and 120 are closed.

Any suggestions on a pass to the south?
  11. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, tell me about the Burr trail. I don't see it on my Canyons of the Escalante maps. Is it near the dirt road to Hole in the Rock?
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Any advriders feel like riding to Utah with me next week? No noobs.
  13. epilido

epilido Thawing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where you gonna go in Utah and what days. I have off until thursday night. Might ride up and with ya for a while. Gimme info:smile6
  14. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    The only one I am familiar with is the one that goes thru Lake Isabella. Seems kinda out of your way....

Jon
  15. four-up

four-up Distracted

Oddometer:

The Burr Trail is a partially paved road that goes from the tiny town of Boulder (on 12) down through Water Pocket Fold (southern end of Capitol Reef) to Bullfrog Basin at Lake Powell. It is incredible country. You'll be surprised at how lush some of the canyon bottoms are in the area- big cottonwood trees with clear brooks that carve through the sandstone. The turn-off is well-marked from Boulder. I was there last September and the road was in great shape. Expect "washboard" conditions closer to Bullfrog.

I can't ride this weekend, but I could break away during the week for two days for some riding down south.
  16. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Looky here... Microsoft even tracks people:

[​IMG]
  17. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fish,

I am going to do this ride as well more toward mid May plus I may be little too much a "noob" for this long distance stuff for you to ride with. So I will have to learn on my own.

I found this website that has lots of locations to see. You can click on the UTAH one and it has many cool destination in Utah. It talks of roads to take while visiting the various spots. Even some dirt/gravel ones.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/index.shtml
  18. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    It runs off of Utah 12 at Boulder Utah and goes to Utah 276 between Ticaboo and Glen Canyon:super
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Great link, jschnitz...got it bookmarked!